Fault code reading ?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
1eighteen
New
Drives: Polo 1.2TSI

Fault code reading ?

Post by 1eighteen »

Can anyone advise on the best software/reader for looking at fault codes on my 2010 1.2TSI ??

Preferably free software. And which plugs are you guys using ?

Thanks
Wayne
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Re: Fault code reading ?

Post by veteran »

I'll be interested in the suggestions you get from forum members, as I myself have been looking into this, on and off, in the past few months. For me, it boils down to either a Ross-Tech VCDS package or a fully-integrated device from Autel UK. Both of these solutions are quite expensive, though; we're talking of hundreds of pounds. As I understand it, VCDS requires the use of a laptop that runs Microsoft Windows, so rules out the use of, say, a Mac unless the software can be run in some sort of emulation mode or you convert the Mac to dual-boot. Devices from Autel, resembling an iPad or smaller, are effectively all-in-one and have their own built-in operating system. Via a lead fitted with standard EOBD connector, both solutions plug into the 16-pin EOBD2 diagnostics socket that you'll doubtless find on the underside of the dashboard, probably just to the right of the steering wheel.

Various people on these forums are users of VCDS and should be able to offer advice. If you think you might be interested in Autel's devices, visit www.autel.uk and download their Diagnostics Products catalogue (PDF), which is quite useful. Their entry-level model, the MD808 Pro UK, got a good write-up in 'Car Mechanics' magazine last June and comes with free software updates for life. Another model of theirs that has extended features is the MX808 TSC.

Steer well away from similar, cheaper products sold by companies in the Far East.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I can recommend VCDS and VCP both, but they are tools that are probably a bit too expensive for what you're looking at and are much more capable than what you need.
You could have a look at carista?
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I want this https://www.maverickdiagnostics.com/dia ... t/vas-6154
...but I'll have to settle with my VCDS and VCP.

Expensive or cheap are very relative terms.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I would not expect there to be much in the way of free S/W packages out there, though while staying legal, you might be able to buy VCDS Lite if it covers that age of car - that would leave you to buy a cable from VCDS as the dongle carries your licence to use it.

If you are intending to be a "light weight" low tech user of a scan tool, then Carista offers you enough to give you fault codes - though Carista might be a bit slow to catch up with all the latest fault codes as I've found, so will give you the correct fault code number but not translate that correctly into the actual code.

Remember most cheap generic scan tools will only decode EOBD/OBD2 engine emission related codes, VCDS or if relevant VCDS Lite and Carista will decode fault codes from all your car's smart controllers, and in the case of the engine fault codes, will use VW Group's extended listings for fault codes.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

ciclo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm I want this https://www.maverickdiagnostics.com/dia ... t/vas-6154

I'm guessing that these are "old stock" as I thought that VW Group main dealers had moved on to something newer/better?

One thing though, where in the past I used to find that the main dealer's showrooms used CTEK battery maintenance units to keep show cars batteries topped up, now I've noticed that my Audi dealer is using a VW Group labelled - ie VAS ???? to support the cars in the showroom - and to delight potential customers, keep the LED DRLs and rear LEDs on permanently!
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

The VAS 6154 can be used with all VW Audi Skoda vehicles from 2000 onward including NEW & FUTURE MODLES under production. This VAS 6154 Interface is the latest interface for the diagnostic and programming applications VAG ODIS-S (Service) and ODIS-E (Engineering), it replaces the VAS 5054A. Available for Off-board Diagnostic Information Engineering from version 6.2 onward and Off-board Diagnostic Information Service from version 3.0.3 onward.

I don't know if there are more updated versions.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

No, you are correct it was the ODIS term/description that I was referring to, so I had missed the fact that VAS5054A moved onto VAS6154 and that included ODIS !
Liam645
New
Drives: Polo VI

Post by Liam645 »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:37 pm
ciclo wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:31 pm I want this https://www.maverickdiagnostics.com/dia ... /vas-6154/tool

I'm guessing that these are "old stock" as I thought that VW Group main dealers had moved on to something newer/better?

One thing though, where in the past I used to find that the main dealer's showrooms used CTEK battery maintenance units to keep show cars batteries topped up, now I've noticed that my Audi dealer is using a VW Group labelled - ie VAS ???? to support the cars in the showroom - and to delight potential customers, keep the LED DRLs and rear LEDs on permanently!
Thank! Helpful advice. My friend ran into the same problem once.
docurley
New
Drives: Son's car - Polo 6R GTI

Post by docurley »

I'm new here but a big VAG fan and own a B7 RS4 but Will be picking a Polo R6 GTI DSG tomorrow for my son and the first thing I did was take my OBDEleven dongle with me and scanned the car for faults and the app that runs with the dongle read the car and all the modules no problem and is much easier to use than VCDS (I own both) and only requires a smart phone with the app and their dongle.

You will be able to do near on everything VCDS does and more and very handy and if like me you have updated your headunit to android then all you need do is load the app on to a phone and plug the dongle in to the car link load licence and your off.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

What can you actually do with VCDS? I've seen 100's of posts from folk wanting to change the number of times the indicators flash or add in the tacho needle sweep, but nothing of any real consequence, but how good is it as a diagnostic tool.

Can you monitor and plot live data. Say if you wanted to look at the PWM on the fuel pump or monitor and plot coolant temp from cold to thermostats opening. Can you read and plot data directly from sensors? crank position, abs, throttle position and MAP sensors, etc. Lost of faults are transient, being able to monitor and plot the data just makes life easier than sitting there for 45mins watching the numbers for something out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any interesting screen captures showing it doing it's stuff? Also how good is the back-up. It's one thing having the greatest gizmo under the sun, it's something else if you don't know how to use 90% of it's features.

I've seen folk using PicoScope in the past and that pretty impressive. (In the right hands) but that appears to be an automotive voltmeter/ammeter/oscilloscope. Rather than a tool to simply adjust parameters. Even on a OBDII scanner the range is huge from an Ebay special at a £10 to something costing £1000's. Is there a sweet-spot the would-be DIYer??
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

VCDS really is, I think, the standard that other reverse engineered VW Group specific diagnostic tools aims to equal and the support is superb and ongoing.

Pico, I've always fancied buying that but never have done - yet!

I've owned VCDS since 2001 and it has been very useful though I have not explored the "width and breadth" of what it can do, just recoded a few things in a few cars and used it for diagnostics basically, again, I've always meant to get deeper into it and log many values for guidance into future problems - but never got round to it!

Edit:- the trouble can be that buying too cheap a scan tool leaves you without any way to update it and VW Group and others, are not standing still, so new smart modules appear and your cheaper not updateable scan tool becomes useless.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

I think the base HEX-V2 USB (3 license version) weighs in at around £220-230 which in the scheme of things is not too bad. If you're a keen DIYer and tinkering every other weekend it's pretty much a must have, especially if what you're working on is predominantly from the VAG group. For myself I fall short of that, I tend to tinker when something needs fixing or when the sun comes out. It's on my wish list, but I can never quite justify £200+ just for occasional use and to have a play with. I think a lot of folk fall into that group. Unfortunately, I've not got any mates who've invested in it either. As vehicles become ever more complex decent diagnostic kit is pretty much a must have. That or get used to dealer prices.

Apparently there are some measuring blocks that allow you to look at valve angles in relation to crank position so can be used to monitor chain stretch. I'd love just to have a quick peek at mine.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

True, we all have different needs, I was coming to VW for the first time with a view to getting my wife a VW as well, so when I imported a new Passat 4Motion in 2000 and then discovered that the washer fluid and the brake wear warning were not functioning on my new car, I approached my local VW dealer in UK, remembering that even personally imported new VWs come with pan European 12 month warranties, "well seeing as you have bought that car abroad it is full of abroad made parts instead of UK made parts, no one can recode any dashboard pods and so you will need to pay £350 for a new pod for a UK car, made in UK and another £250 for us to fit it" - I thought, f' off, wandered around the internet, found that recoding is very easy, so bought the tool of choice which was VCDS, enabled both these features for much less than that £600 and ended up with a useful diagnostic tool with I have used many times mainly on my wife's previous Polo, but also on my 2011 S4 when I enabled some extra desirable functions and retro fitted a used Audi DAB radio in place of my non DAB Audi radio and also retro fitted front parking sensors and enabled OPS after that.
I'd think that after couple of trips to even a VW Group Indie to read logged faults, sorted out the issue and got these logged faults cleared, you end up well on the way to the price of VCDS and without the trouble of having to deal with main dealers.
After my wife bought her 6C Polo back in August 2015, VW sent her a survey to complete - which I did as she would just ignore it, in the section where the question was roughly speaking "why did you buy a Polo?" her(my) answer was "because my husband owns VCDS diagnostic tool!" - as far as I am concerned, with cars becoming more complex and not always more reliable, spurious faults will get logged and its handy to have a means to read them. While out on the road, I use Carista and keep a dongle in each car, so no worried moments if and when a fault light comes on. Maybe you have seen the AA TV advert where a car is being driven - a fault light comes on, lady stops the car in a safe place, calls up the AA, a patrol appears and within seconds sorts things out and off they drive - well the best way of interpreting that is, an AA patrol will just read a stored fault code and clear it - and hope that is that, maybe 4 times out of 10 it will work out okay, but the other 6 times out of 10 the poor AA member will get that fault light coming on a couple of miles down the road, so maybe okay for the AA patrol if it is now in another patrol's sector, but for the member, maybe another stop and phone call?
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

I don't think the "clear the fault code, and hope" approach is just limited to the AA. But chances are if they do come on again it will be guaranteed to be worst possible case. Outside lane of the motorway or out in the sticks, with no hope of a phone signal.

I do keep a Mickey Mouse fault reader in the car, it's just about better than nothing. To be fair I've never needed it, it's sorted next doors Vauxhall out a couple of times now.

Like yourself I think there's a sensible tipping point, where what it will save you make it worth the investment. Plus Vdubs customer service and the way they treat their warranty claims ain't what it used to be.