Inner weld on passenger side wing mirror support has broken

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheDude
New
Drives: 2010 Volkswagen Polo Se (60), 1198CC

Inner weld on passenger side wing mirror support has broken

Post by TheDude »

Someone while I was a asleep has hit my passenger side mirror and damaged nothing externally except a little scratch. But it was hanging out a bit. Upon taking the door apart to investigate it was apparent that the metal part of the door chassis that the mirror bolts to has snapped off from the rest of the door. I have searched for hours trying to find someone with this same issue and can’t seem to find any information on it anywhere. Can anybody shed any light on my options or experiences with a similar issue?
Please and Thanks!
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Inner weld on passenger side wing mirror support has broken

Post by joe6 »

Ouch!! Sounds like a body shop moment unfortunately if the weld has failed.
TheDude
New
Drives: 2010 Volkswagen Polo Se (60), 1198CC

Post by TheDude »

Man, 😞 figured as much. Patched it for now and you can’t tell but one little tap and it will all come apart and electrics will be torn
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I think that part of the door frame has designed in weakness to prevent the mirror disembowelling pedestrians who get in the way.

The official answer would be a new door frame. Personally I’d mend the old one with a ‘patch’ either fixed with panel adhesive or, if possible pop rivets. Welding might be possible but that could entail distortion or paint damage.

Such repairs would probably reduce pedestrian safety, I’d put a post it note on the corner of the dash telling them to keep out of the !!!!!!! way, that should work!