How reliable is the Mk5 GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Rangersmith
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.4 GT

How reliable is the Mk5 GTI

Post by Rangersmith »

Hello

I'm thinking of buying a used GTI with manual gearbox. I've done a couple of test drives last year on it and liked it.
What is it like for reliability? how easy is it live with? anything to avoid be cautious of?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: How reliable is the Mk5 GTI

Post by SRGTD »

Hi Rangersmith.

By mk5, do you mean the outgoing Polo model - the 6r/6c that was produced 2009 - 2017? I’m assuming you do, as I’ve just seen your post on the mk10 (new Polo) board.

I’ve had my 6c (16 plate) Polo GTI almost 2 years (collected it on 1st March 2016). I’m a low mileage driver - I’ve done just a shade under 12,000 miles in 23.5 months. In that time, my car has been trouble free and has only been back to the dealer for it’s 12 month service last March.

I find it performs and handles well, and the fuel consumption is pretty good too; I can get 38-40 mpg pretty easily, although that will be influenced by the congested roads I drive on, so driving well within the UK speed limits. If you find a car with the optional Sports Performance Pack (I have this option) the ride is pretty firm in Sport mode. In normal mode, it’s on the firm side, but (in my opinion) it’s not uncomfortable; I do tend to leave mine in normal mode pretty much all the time. I would say it’s much easier to live with on a day to day basis and less hard core than, say a Fieats ST.

I find the interior is quite similar to my previous car (mk6 Golf) in terms of quality of materials used. Mine seems to be well screwed together and doesn’t suffer from creaks or rattles, although some forum members have had issues with creaky or rattling trim.

Negatives or issues;
  • Diamond cut alloys; these are prone to white worm corrosion, and a decent refurb costs in the region of £85+VAT per wheel. I’d recommend that you inspect the wheels carefully for any signs of white worm or kerbing damage that might mean a refurb is necessary.
  • Some early models suffered from turbo failure. Later models were fitted with a revised version of the turbo, and I’ve not read or heard of any turbo issues with later models.
  • As mentioned above, interior trim may suffer from creaks and rattles - probably due to the firmer suspension of the GTI compared to other models of the Polo.
  • There have been infotainment unit touch screen issues in a small number of cars in cold weather - blank screen, touch screen unresponsive. Not just a Polo issue, as the mk7 Golf has similar issues, but doesn’t affect all cars (mine’s been trouble free). I believe software update by the dealer has rectified many of the problems.
  • Boot size; the boot is small (204 litres). Other models of the 6r/6c Polo have a variable boot floor with an upper and lower level with luggage capacity of 280 litres (floor in lower position) or 204 litres (floor in higher position). Because the GTI’s battery is in the spare wheel well with the spare wheel stored on top of the battery, the GTI looses the lower boot floor position. May be an issue if you regularly carry a full car of passengers and their luggage. If you don’t, it probably won’t be an issue as the boot space can be extended by folding the rear seat back rests down.
I’ve been extremely pleased with my GTI and don’t plan to change it any time soon - at least not for another couple of years. It’s replacement will probably be the new Polo GTI+.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

I assume you are talking about the 1.8 GTI. Had mine slightly less time than SRGTD but covered about the same mileage. Mine is a 3 door. Agree with everything said above. I find the rear seats a little cramped for adults - grandson is 6ft 3! Shape seems to not get paint chips on the front which is welcome - only had one very small one that I sorted myself over the 18 months ownership.
Circle6C9
New
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi

Post by Circle6C9 »

I've had mine 13 months now and very pleased with it - go as far as to say it has exceeded my expectations - a great all-rounder and love the torque - I'm a twin-charger fan (despite its, er, foibles) but the EA888 feels much meatier - sweet 6-speed gearbox as well.

Not my favourite car from the fairly limited number I've owned (I tend to keep cars for five years) but it's only beaten by my Lupo GTi - and the Polo is obviously quicker and certainly far better equipped than the Lupo (not exactly a fair comparison - Lupo was registered January 05 and the Polo September 16) - Lupo wins on the attention to detail (aluminium wings, doors and bonnet - thinner windscreen glass to save weight) and rarity.