Polo 6R 2010 - Starting problem

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dabon9
New
Drives: 2010 6R

Polo 6R 2010 - Starting problem

Post by Dabon9 »

Hi,

I've recently been struggling with starting the car if it stays overnight. Its not a battery issue because its gives no effect with a jumpstarter or hooking it up to another car.
I've tried parking different ways (Upwards/downwards) to see if it makes any difference but, its all the same.

So I have figured out that probably after 12 hours it's a problem starting, as 7.5 hours at work its starting just fine.
But every morning, the only way to get it to start is by using start gas, which I dont know if its that good for the motor over time.
And the weird part is that once I get it running, its no problem to start anymore, no matter how long I run the car for. I can just turn it on and off and its fixed for a while.

So do any of you have any experience what this could be?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Polo 6R 2010 - Starting problem

Post by iichel »

what kind of engine, what kind of mileage what kind of temperatures are we talking about?
Dabon9
New

Post by Dabon9 »

1.2 tdi, around 135.000km and probably varying from +1 to -10, its the same no matter the temp is seems.
iichel

Post by iichel »

I must admit, mine is starting a bit less quickly as it used to in summertimes. Takes a second or two. I believe it's the cold, since a longlife service didn't make a huge difference.
It did have the emission update (all of them), maybe that's making a difference. My battery is fine, it's about a year old.

You could have a look at the fuel and air filter.
Do you feel like your car is down on performance as well? (even though a 1.2 TDI doesn't have a huge amount of power to start with... :mrgreen: )
Any irregular running (idle/driving)?
Dabon9
New

Post by Dabon9 »

To me it all seems like normal except it doesnt start after a still period of 12 hours +

But, I was thinking it might be a clogged diesel filter? But im not sure if it should run properly once started with a clogged / partially clogged diesel filter.
iichel

Post by iichel »

Do you have any idea when the fuel filter was changed the last time?
Do you run the car on regular diesel or some kind of bio diesel?

could very well be a clogged or collapsed fuel filter.
Dabon9
New

Post by Dabon9 »

im not 100% sure, but it should have been on the last service, which was about 10-15.000km since. But im running on regular diesel.
iichel

Post by iichel »

hm well with the symptoms you're describing, i'm slightly thinking towards fuel problems, especially if the car does run fine otherwise.
i'm assuming norway does know their way around winter diesel, so waxing of the diesel fuel is probably to be excluded.
if you have the chance, check out fuel pressures with VCDS and/or change the fuel filter and/or wait for someone more knowledgeable than myself to give some advice.