6C GTI Manual Clutch

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: 6C GTI Manual Clutch

Post by Dink »

LawrenceDGraham wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 pm Hi I've just fitted an upgraded clutch too my 16 plate polo gti and I wouldn't order the Sachs clutch from awesomegti. The xkutxh listed below is like on or off so hard too drive I'm finding it really hard as a daily driver.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/ ... tsi-6r-6c/
Did you go organic or sintered?
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

Sintered
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

The car feel really bad too pull away now haha
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

That's your problem the sintered is not recommend for a daily as they are too harsh and won't really last.

I'm going with the organic even though I'll hopefully be getting close to it's limit.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

It makes an odd noise when pulling away sounds like metal it's a right pain in the arse
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

That will be the metal friction plate slipping on the flywheel.
If it was me I'd be changing it to the organic plate. It is more cost but it will be a hell of a lot better.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Haha can't afford too buy another clutch this one already skinted me too hell
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Oh yeah I know what you mean.

It is just the friction plate you need but they are still like 250 on it's own :(
chris.brown
New

Post by chris.brown »

cboyle7 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 am Hi,

Has anyone had their clutch replaced on their manual 6C GTI? Mines is starting to slip in high gears.

How much did it cost? Do you know the part number?
I have had the same problem with my 16plate I've only done 24000 on it slips well having to over or pull of of junctions quick , low revs fine only , I got quote 950 all in
chris.brown
New

Post by chris.brown »

cboyle7 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 am Hi,

Has anyone had their clutch replaced on their manual 6C GTI? Mines is starting to slip in high gears.

How much did it cost? Do you know the part number?
I have had the same problem with my 16 plate . I 've only done 24000 on it slips all the time. well having to over take or pulling out of junctions quick , high revs slips, low revs works fine. I got quote 950 all in
Brooksay
New
Drives: A beautiful one!

Post by Brooksay »

Afternoon folks, I've just joined here, and I'd like to ask if this is a very common thing? See, I bought a 16 plate GTi 4 weeks ago. It's gorgeous, and I genuinely love it. It's been many, many years since I actually looked out the window at a car, and wanted to go for a drive. Driving for a living killed it for me, I suppose. But 'Cherry', as I call her, speaks to me. I spent 12 years driving nothing but Jags and Ford ST's, then switched to VW. The last 4 years have been Golf's, TDi and TSi. My newest chariot is a bright red, 3 door beauty. I haven't owned a red car for 20 years, I hate them, but when I saw this one, I had to have it. Mid life crisis well under way! I love everything about her..except her occasional tendency to crunch as I change up to second on the pull away, especially with the sport button engaged. Also the clutch seems to be a bit choppy, particularly when the car is cold. Is this normal behaviour for this car? I have a 12 month warranty, 1 previous owner and 12k on the clock. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris. I should add that in 25 years of driving I've only ever had to replace 1 clutch, so I don't think it's my driving that has caused this :D
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

From what i have found with mine is that the gearbox is a bit notchy until it has warmed right up. Not sure if a gearbox oil change would help.
MickKettle54
New
Drives: 6C Gti

Post by MickKettle54 »

I’ve got a 2016 manual GTI with 17K miles on it and have been told that it needs a new clutch and flywheel as they are both heat damaged by the slip.
I don’t ride the clutch and it’s always in neutral at traffic lights, etc as I like the stop/start thing and I’m always off the clutch before using the power.
The local dealership have said this won’t be covered by the warranty and is a £2K job!!
They have offered to cover half the cost, but I’m in the process of dealing with VW UK, as I feel certain that because of how I drive, this has been caused by another fault or the parts just aren’t up to the job.
Reading some of the comments here, it does look like there might actually be a problem with the clutch coping with the power, after all, the torque on the dct gearbox is limited because of this.
kentwbird
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Post by kentwbird »

I have a 16 plate gti and am from Australia...bought mine from Harding performance and has been awesome...made by exedy
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

My only experience of these later Polos is an August 2015 1.2TSI 110PS, and if any area of that car could be singled out for criticism it would be the “coupling” - VW Group’s term for the area between the engine output and the transmission input!

Personally I’d be willing to consider that the usual engineering department that handled that had been diluted by some accountants with not much to do, no engineering capabilities and getting a group bonus for chopping costs - I think that covers it all?