6C GTI Manual Clutch

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
cboyle7
New
Drives: 6C 1.8 GTI

6C GTI Manual Clutch

Post by cboyle7 »

Hi,

Has anyone had their clutch replaced on their manual 6C GTI? Mines is starting to slip in high gears.

How much did it cost? Do you know the part number?
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Re: 6C GTI Manual Clutch

Post by Gee40 »

Blimey that's worrying for such a new car to have clutch slip.

Has it covered high miles or been remapped?

I'm afraid I can't help with your question as, so far touch wood, the clutch on mine is ok
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/products/sa ... 01422.html

http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/products/sa ... 99502.html

http://www.clutchstop.co.uk/products/co ... boxes.html (this might not be the right part but 99% sure it is)

if you are not getting vw to sort it get your local garage to fit the above parts plus may
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

No problems with the clutch on my 6c Polo GTI, which is 2 years old and I’ve owned it from new. Admittedly, it is low mileage (12k).
cboyle7
New

Post by cboyle7 »

Gee40 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:39 pm Blimey that's worrying for such a new car to have clutch slip.

Has it covered high miles or been remapped?

I'm afraid I can't help with your question as, so far touch wood, the clutch on mine is ok
Car is a year and a half old, 25k mileage. Not remapped - it is a lease car. Really disappointed it's starting to go and looks like it will cost a fortune !
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

if it's not mapped and it's quite low miles i'd take it to vw and see what they say
cboyle7
New

Post by cboyle7 »

Anyone know what the original Vw part is and how much it cost? Only seen uprated ones online.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

did you speak to vw ?

i imagine if you kick up enough of a fuss you will get at least a 50% discount on what it should cost
cboyle7
New

Post by cboyle7 »

With all the heavy snow that's been I can see the car is leaking something onto the snow that looks like oil. Could be related
cboyle7
New

Post by cboyle7 »

Update - car went into VW and they said they can't find a fault.

Does the following video look like clutch slip to you?
https://youtu.be/Pwp4AKnEGVk
mixalisgti
New
Drives: polo gti 6c manual

Post by mixalisgti »

I have 9000km on my gti manual no slip at all. In the video i think you have slip mate yes
duffman
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by duffman »

Am I missing something here? Only 18 months old, still in warranty? Why won't VW fix it under warranty? Or the lease company? Surely it's in their interest to get it sorted as well?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

duffman wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:11 pm Am I missing something here? Only 18 months old, still in warranty? Why won't VW fix it under warranty? Or the lease company? Surely it's in their interest to get it sorted as well?
Although a new car comes with a 3 year warranty, not everything is covered for 3 years. There are quite a few limitations and exclusions. VW’s new car (factory) warranty terms and conditions are at the link below;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warr ... conditions

You’ll see that clutch component parts (release bearing, pressure plate centre plate) are only covered for the first 6 months or 6,500 whichever is the sooner. After that, any clutch issues are deemed to be as a result of wear and tear.

So probably the most the OP could expect from VW is some form of goodwill contribution towards the cost of replacing the clutch.
mackie2k
New
Drives: GTI

Post by mackie2k »

I am also in this boat currently.

16 plate GTi with 22k on it. Clutch has just started to slip. VW were less the helpful hiding behind that it was wear and tear and regardless to confirm they would have to strip it at my expense. Looking at 600 quid there. Then if the part was proved as wear and tear then would be £1500 for the kit :shock: :shock: So they also had the cheek to say it would be less if the flywheel was not worn.

Now at just over 22k and a daily driver. This has had a easy life. Show as the brake pads are only @ 20% wear. So I find it really hard to believe that it is wear and tear on the clutch. But not going to give a main stealer money. So gonna bite the bullet and put an upgraded unit in.

Has anyone else suffered with this issue on their GTi?
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

Hi I've just fitted an upgraded clutch too my 16 plate polo gti and I wouldn't order the Sachs clutch from awesomegti. The xkutxh listed below is like on or off so hard too drive I'm finding it really hard as a daily driver.

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/ ... tsi-6r-6c/