2015 Polo SEL Squeaking - mostly over uneven roads and bumps

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
matthew.bicknell
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

2015 Polo SEL Squeaking - mostly over uneven roads and bumps

Post by matthew.bicknell »

Hi All,

I've been having an issue with my car for the past 2 months now. Whenever i'm driving there is this annoying creak/squeak sound that comes from under the front end, its much louder when going over something like a speed bump but does it along all roads that aren't 100% smooth.

I've taken it into the dealers 4 times now and last time they had it for 5 days and did some testing on it. They claim to have lubricated the suspension bushes (sway bar, control arm, cvs, ball joints, gearbox, and engine mounts)
They also replaced an engine mount the 2nd time I took it in but that didn't stop the noise.

Sadly the noise is still there and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/suggestions on what this could be so I can feed it back to the dealers when I next take it in.

The car is a Polo 6R/6C 2015 SEL 1.2 110HP so is just coming up to 3 years old (wasn't expecting to hear noises like this on a fairly new car!)

Here's a link to my onedrive so you can see some videos on what i'm talking about: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkMrqw9ifexFl2MWI8Z6sFcuorhq
The videos are a mixture shot over the past month (some were shot yesterday named 'new squeak'. The temperature has been varied in these videos ranging from about -4C - +14C

Thanks in advance

Matt
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 2015 Polo SEL Squeaking - mostly over uneven roads and bumps

Post by RUM4MO »

Well that is not right! Your local VW dealership really needs to start trying harder and possibly start being truthful with you, if they don't know that that noise is not right or acceptable for that version and age of car, then they should be involving some technical/professional help from VW UK.

My wife runs one of these cars and is at 19K miles and it does not make as much noise as that, there are some other noises that hopefully I can locate when the weather gets warmer, but nothing like that.

I'd think that they should at the very least, try replacing both drop links and replacing the ARB mounting bushes as these have in earlier models, caused that type of noise - and stop just lifting it up on the ramps and spraying a spot of silicone spray in the hope that you will stop bothering them now that they have your money!
matthew.bicknell
New

Thanks for your reply.

My car had done about 37k miles when the noise started.

Do you mean the sway bar bushes when you say ARB bushes? The noise happens only if both wheels go up or down at the same time like over a speed bump, if I only go over one side it doesn't do it leading me to think about the sway bar bushes/end links. I'll keep pushing the dealers to look at these parts I think.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes they should be calling them ARB mounting bushes in UK, sway bar is an American term. I'm surprised that crossing a single hump does not also give that noise. Surely your VW dealer has sat in the car with you and witnessed exactly what you are complaining about. Mine was confused when I complained about the EVAP solenoid pipe - they tried to say if I had not sat on the engine with the bonnet open while the car was being driven, I could not possibly know where the noise that no one had ever complained to them about was coming from. I started getting a bit nasty with them after that was said - and they caved in and pretended them knew exactly what the issue was and it took them 10 days to source the newer version of pipe to cure that - a problem that Skoda had known about for months - and a pipe design that had vanished from new builds, complete time wasting idiots managed by fools.

Edit:- if that car was a lot older, ie an early 6R and not a 6C where was the possibility that it was a strut top mounting issue as some parts that caused annoying noises were redesigned early on, I would think that you could force it to make that noise by lifting up forcing down the front of the car with the bonnet open?
matthew.bicknell
New

Re: 2015 Polo Suspension Squeaking - over uneven roads or bumps

Thanks for your help RUM4MO,

Has anyone else experienced these problems at all? Would be grateful for more comments!

Matt
Blairc2016
New
Drives: 6C SE 1.0

Post by Blairc2016 »

Hi there,

I also had my car in at the dealers today to no avail.

I notice the exact same noise as you have over bumps, but only on my passenger side. It dies down as the car warms up, so it did not make the noise after the 40 mi drive to the dealership.

They checked the car and could not find fault, but were shown a video clip from my car and agreed that the noise is not right. It's going back in in two weeks to be looked at from cold.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mphbe0tfen5et ... 2.MOV?dl=0

Would be interested in the outcome of your car.

It looks as if it might have something to do with the rear bush on the front control arm. This seems to be a common complaint on the Mk7 Golf, and by replacing the bush or control arm, people were able to get rid of the noise.
matthew.bicknell
New

Hi They finally fixed my noise last friday after 5 times in the dealership.

It was found to be the front lower suspension arms (also known as the control arms). Both have been replaced and the noise has now gone.

I couldn't watch your video but from what your describing the noise from your car is similar to what was happening with mine.

Let me know how you get on.

Matt
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Good to hear that it is okay now.
Is that car a 3 door or 5 door model as they were being built in different countries with some parts coming from different component factories?
matthew.bicknell
New

This was a 5 door model. I believe the car was manufactured in South Africa. So the dealer told me.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Oh, not what I wanted to hear and the reason why I asked this question as my wife’s 2015 is also a 5 door!

Though, so far so good.

Your dealer will be correct about that by the way!
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

matthew,

Read off your VIN from the passenger side of the windscreen. Does it include the characters 'HU', as that would indicate a VW assembly plant in South Africa. (My Polo's a 2017 1.2 Match Edition, put together in that factory).

Also, has the VW workshop said whether they've replaced the bushes with exactly the same types (as obviously if that's the case the squeaking problem will return in time)? Maybe you need to get VW to look into this in some greater depth, in as much as comparing the bushes used in the presumed South African factory with the replacement ones just fitted? Are they a different composition of rubber, for example? When was VW first alerted worldwide to the problem with the bushes?
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

When fitting bushes the component must be in the manufacturers specified position before final tightening. If that simple rule is not followed pretensioning will occur, the Bush will tend to squeak and will fail prematurely.

I’m afraid a lot of today’s fitters are not skilled enough to be called mechanics and are blind to such simple basic mechanical truisms.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ie, the correct way when it’s warranty work will always be the quickest way?
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I wish this forum had a facility to record a like against a comment, the last comment would earn multiple likes from me.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Thanks anyway!