Covering shiny bits on dashboard and steering wheel

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mike Austin
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Covering shiny bits on dashboard and steering wheel

Post by Mike Austin »

Coming from a sombre, matt black dashboard and steering wheel on a Mk1 Fabia to shiny metallic-trimmed dashboard and steering wheel on a Blue GT, I find it a bit distracting. So I am looking for options to paint, vinyl-wrap or replace the shiny metallic trim. Any ideas? I imagine wrapping these small bits - particularly on the steering wheel - is impractical.
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Re: Covering shiny bits on dashboard and steering wheel

Post by PeterWestSussex »

The only reflecting item that causes me a problem is the 'chrome' around the face level air vent on the drivers side - reflecting in the door mirror. Same problem at night but from a different source - the instrument lights reflecting in the door mirror!
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

PeterWestSussex wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am The only reflecting item that causes me a problem is the 'chrome' around the face level air vent on the drivers side - reflecting in the door mirror. Same problem at night but from a different source - the instrument lights reflecting in the door mirror!
I would prefer to black out dashboard bling rather than black out door mirrors!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The trim around the infotainment unit and air vents on my car are shiny piano black. I don’t have any issues with reflections and can’t say I’ve really noticed the instrument lights reflecting in the door mirror either.

OP; I personally wouldn’t paint them as you won’t be able to return them to OEM metallic finish which you might want to do when you eventually sell your car; prospective buyers might expect a BlueGT to have metallic finish trim. I wouldn’t wrap them either, as it’s probsbly quite tricky to do to get an OEM look without visible cuts and creases.

I’d replace them but keep the originals so you can return the car to OEM trim. I imagine that a set of new replacement trim pieces from VW would be quite costly, so an option would be to source a used set. Used trim sets do come up for sale on eBay from time to time. Alternatively, you could check out any car breakers local to you and see if they have any damaged 6r/6c Polos in stock that they could sell you the trim pieces from.
PeterWestSussex
New

SRGTD wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm I don’t have any issues with reflections and can’t say I’ve really noticed the instrument lights reflecting in the door mirror either.
Sorry - Correction! a) the reflections are not in the door mirror itself but in the window glass as I view the door mirror. b) It's the illuminated rotary light switch that reflects at night.
But it's a common problem I've had over the years with most of my cars ... and this is not as annoying as the driver in front at night who keeps foot on foot brake so I get full glare of rear red lights ... which is in contravention of the current Highway Code rule 114 "drivers should ... deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again"
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, reflections of these lights etc in either door mirror or door glass smacks of lack of "testing" prior to committing to production, I've never ever had that before on any car.
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

Yes, the lights on the dash are another issue for me. I find them a bit bright and gaudy. If I could, I would tone them down a bit as well as covering the shiny metal bits. My previous cars from VW & Skoda (3 Golf GTIs and 2 Fabias) were quite subdued. VW seem to have moved a little bit in the direction of Ford and the rest.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

If you want to see a VW interior that can’t be described as subdued, have a look at the dash of the new Polo Beats model; very colourful - a blend of red, cream and grey. Not my cup of tea, but then it’s probably aimed at a young audience, so that’s not me! :lol:. At least the rotary light switch is low down so shouldn’t cast reflections in the driver’s door window.
Attachments
3C1573BB-690D-40B3-9874-9E8B8CB5BA29.jpeg
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

Aargh! I presume it has a sunglasses holder on the dashboard, where you can leave your sunglasses when you get out of the car.
Dave_C
New
Drives: 1.2TSi Match

Post by Dave_C »

PeterWestSussex wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm
SRGTD wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm... and this is not as annoying as the driver in front at night who keeps foot on foot brake so I get full glare of rear red lights ...
If you want to use Stop/Start in a DSG model you have no choice!

I prefer the way golf buggies work - the engine restarts when you press the accelerator.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Mike Austin wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:53 pm Aargh! I presume it has a sunglasses holder on the dashboard, where you can leave your sunglasses when you get out of the car.
I am hoping that the sunglasses holder has moved out of the glovebox and up to the roof mounted lights cluster area - where they should have already been located!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

SRGTD snip snip --- At least the rotary light switch is low down so shouldn’t cast reflections in the driver’s door window. [/quote wrote:
Now that is what I call progress!
PeterWestSussex
New

Dave_C wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:47 am If you want to use Stop/Start in a DSG model you have no choice!
Ah! I wondered how long before my comment would promote a response! I have exactly that situation = a DSG Polo, SEL trim + glass sunroof and other options (= a lot of toys; was previously a Motorbility vehicle). Love the car and the DSG. But EVERY time I and my wife start up, part of our procedure is to switch off the Stop/Start. ALWAYS slip it into neutral, apply handbrake, and release foot brake whenever stopping for more than a few seconds.

Keeping ones foot on the foot brake causes 'hot spots' on the disks - which can lead to disks warping - as so many up! drivers have found to their cost! (For more on this see the Daily Telegraph's HonestJohn.)
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

i understand why you prefer N and handbrake but what is your motivation for disabling stop start?
Ricmondo
Gold Member

Post by Ricmondo »

i understand why you prefer N and handbrake but what is your motivation for disabling stop start?