NextBase Duo dashcam

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Mike Austin
Getting There!
Drives: Polo Blue GT

NextBase Duo dashcam

Post by Mike Austin »

Has anyone fitted one of these? I got one before buying my Blue GT. It seems too big to fit behind the rear view mirror while still allowing clearance to detach from its mount.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: NextBase Duo dashcam

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, that is what I have thought! What size is the VW branded one? Ever considered just buying a kit with separate front and rear cameras or even mounting the front camera sensor within the mirror base?
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:35 pm Hum, that is what I have thought! What size is the VW branded one? Ever considered just buying a kit with separate front and rear cameras or even mounting the front camera sensor within the mirror base?
I may have to consider that now. The main problem is the mounting bracket size - just too big, even with the smaller adhesive pad. If the camera could fit closer to the windscreen, it could work. If would be difficult to fit the camera to the back of the mirror, and all the controls would be inaccessible.
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

My brother-in-law has the same dashcam mounted directly under the mirror. He has a bigger windscreen (Skoda Yeti) but I would have thought there are regulations about how much windscreen space can be obscured by such devices. I am not sure I would like it there anyway, legal or not.
Mike Austin
Getting There!

Post by Mike Austin »

I have now fitted the dashcam. It is large, but not as bad as I thought.
Because the camera can be twisted and the lens rotated to compensate, it can be partly hidden by the rear view mirror.:

The view from the passenger's side shows the twist:

The wiring into the fusebox was straightforward - piggy back on fuse 27, the rear window wiper. The usb cable and adapter box were tidied up and put into the space just under the steering wheel:

The two lenses on this dashcam can be rotated about a vertical axis independently. Tilting up/down affects both cameras and is a compromise between getting the front view and rear view centred.