Crash damage!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Builderjay
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 petrol 6r

Crash damage!

Post by Builderjay »

Hi all.
Newbie here. Sorry for asking which may sound rude as a 1st post before I’ve really introduced myself.
I’ve got a VW Transporter and an eos and am on those forums too but bought my daughter a polo 1.2 6r for her 1st car as she only past her test a week ago.
Anyway the poor soul parked it up in an underground carpark 5 days later and when she came out from shopping she had been reversed into by a grey Audi as witnesses had witnessed.
Car sped off and no one got the Reg no and police arnt interested as no one was hurt and no cctv!!
Anyway damage to the front end is as follows with the required parts...
Bonnet, one wing, grill, lights, bumper, bumper iron, slam panel and been told today sub-frame!
Nearly £2000 bill. Don’t want to go through insurance as it’s her 1st car.
Anyway question is the recovery firm that picked it up are doing the repairs. They said they will use genuine parts from TPS but when I pick it up does anyone know what to look for to prove this?
I’ve been told the bonnet should be seamed under the leading edge but not sure on other parts??
Can anyone shed any info on the above as don’t want to get ripped off and also want my 17 year old daughter driving a safe car once back on the road.
May get it inspected by a pro if unsure.
Sorry again for what may seem a strange 1st post.
Many thanks. BJ
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Crash damage!

Post by joe6 »

Ask to see the invoice from TPS for the parts. Check the part numbers on the invoice.
Builderjay
New

Post by Builderjay »

Update!

After 3 weeks we got the car back!
Parts were all purchased from TPS which was a relief.
Total for parts was £1450 and labour £500.

BUT! Upon pickup they said they needed it back in two weeks to buff up the paint work as 3 weeks of promises of finished dates were given to me again and again and basically my daughter just wanted her car back!
Originally they said 4-5 days!

Upon inspection the paint is a slightly different shade of white and a few bits of grit in the paint on the bonnet.

Have held back £200 of the money but am gonna bite the bullet and take it to my own body shop to get it professionally painted and also bonnet adjusted as things just don’t line up!

Damn kids nowadays just don’t listen to us elders as they think they know it all!

Daughter has learnt her lesson on this one of listening to her mates on where to take it!

Oh well lesson learned!

Happy Easter everyone!!

BJ
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I just hate needing to get a car repaired, I have only ever used a main dealership so:- my wife's 1994 Fiesta 1.6Si was stuffed by our new neighbour's son at a roundabout, I insisted that Ford dealer's bodyshop fixed it, it came back with the boot seal badly fitted and leaked as the joining rubber "pipe" was missing - I refused to hand it back in and they gave me a short section of seal to sort it, I then needed to get the correct joining "rubber tube" off a scrapped car! Also a year or so later I discovered that the new rear valance, which on the 1.6Si Fiesta is covered by a huge plastic bumper cover, had no paint on it and was rusting away happily out of sight, I just sprayed it with WaxOil and it was okay for the next 8 years. I insisted that my 8 year old VW Passat was repaired after it got slightly stuffed while in a queue, driver behind got bored waiting as did I but he took his foot off the clutch with the car still in gear! It came back sort of okay, but it was 8 year sold. I reversed my at that time 4 years old Audi S4 along a "road works" portable sign, and I used my local VW but Audi approved bodyshop, they did not finish off the boundary areas very well and did not clear the logged faults from when they removed the rear bumper and a side door - idiots, but that just showed that someone was given a detailed list of tasks to carry out as per the proposal and skipped some.

To round up, sorry to hear about your daughter's "no blame" incident, it is a pity that there is not much trust out there and that includes the other driver as well as your daughter's insurer seeing her as a higher risk if she claimed - which will always happen even when a 3rd party accepts blame, never ever trust an insurer if they say otherwise, they are after all just licensed crooks like lawyers - extorters of money at all costs and not paid for service provider you hope to never need.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:30 pm I just hate needing to get a car repaired, I have only ever used a main dealership so:- my wife's 1994 Fiesta 1.6Si was stuffed by our new neighbour's son at a roundabout, I insisted that Ford dealer's bodyshop fixed it, it came back with the boot seal badly fitted and leaked as the joining rubber "pipe" was missing - I refused to hand it back in and they gave me a short section of seal to sort it, I then needed to get the correct joining "rubber tube" off a scrapped car! Also a year or so later I discovered that the new rear valance, which on the 1.6Si Fiesta is covered by a huge plastic bumper cover, had no paint on it and was rusting away happily out of sight, I just sprayed it with WaxOil and it was okay for the next 8 years. I insisted that my 8 year old VW Passat was repaired after it got slightly stuffed while in a queue, driver behind got bored waiting as did I but he took his foot off the clutch with the car still in gear! It came back sort of okay, but it was 8 year sold. I reversed my at that time 4 years old Audi S4 along a "road works" portable sign, and I used my local VW but Audi approved bodyshop, they did not finish off the boundary areas very well and did not clear the logged faults from when they removed the rear bumper and a side door - idiots, but that just showed that someone was given a detailed list of tasks to carry out as per the proposal and skipped some.

To round up, sorry to hear about your daughter's "no blame" incident, it is a pity that there is not much trust out there and that includes the other driver as well as your daughter's insurer seeing her as a higher risk if she claimed - which will always happen even when a 3rd party accepts blame, never ever trust an insurer if they say otherwise, they are after all just licensed crooks like lawyers - extorters of money at all costs and not paid for service provider you hope to never need.
Likewise really sorry to hear about the accident and the problems you and your daughter have had getting the car repaired.

Just to add my thoughts to the balanced and objective appraisal of the insurance industry provided by RUM4MO. Having just left my job of 20 years managing the claims dept for a large insurer, I have spent more time than I would like to admit discussing falsified, exaggerate and frequently dishonest claims with a significant percentage of policy holders who would be a shoe in for Jackanory based on the stories they have told in order to shift blame or pay a lower premium. Perhaps RUM4MO is unaware that claims for injuries ( mainly ambiguous Whiplash) on non fault claims run at around 50% in the UK compared to less than 10% in Germany where such claims are legally regulated and much more difficult to make. Still must be the "licenced cooks" within the insurance industry pushing up premiums and not the 1000s of whiplash claims sustained during 10 mph crashes made by us "honest as the days long" UK motorists
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Gee40, I would never question what you are saying wrt injury claims as that game seems to be a nice little earner for some very stupid nasty immoral people. There needs to be an acceptable way to prove injury to stop that scam.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:13 pm Gee40, I would never question what you are saying wrt injury claims as that game seems to be a nice little earner for some very stupid nasty immoral people. There needs to be an acceptable way to prove injury to stop that scam.
Completely agree. The only way to stop this is via legislation as has been done in several european countries sadly we have followed the US letigious model far to closely for too long. Several years ago the Competition and Markets Authority then know as the Competition Commission asked leading insurers to submit ideas and responses to plans to move more towards the German model to prevent frivourless / fraudulent injury claims to try and make sure only those really injured would be able to claim. This included the requirement for indepth medical evidence on every claim ( not just a 10 minute medical report paid for by the claimant) increasing the limit of claims that go though the small claims route where legal fees can't be claimed back etc. Currently its often more cost effective for an insurance company to simply pay a claim rather than investigate and challenge claims as the legal fees they have to pay if they lose would mean even more costs. All looked good but when the CMA reported its intentions it had been watered down to doing virtually nothing ( I'm not suggesting this was anything to do with the powerful legal lobby and the number of the good and the great that had vested interests in the status quo.)

Ive now left the insurance industry so am not as close as I was, but believe the government has just announced planned legisaltion along the lines of that described above and that 90% of the counties motor insureres have signed up to passing the asscocaied savings on to motorists in reduced premiums.

Hopefully the goverment will follow through with this as Ive spent 20 years trying to reduce insurance claim costs not to increase profit, but to reduce premiums, as like everyone else, I don't like paying high premiums particularly when a big driver of this cost is such dis honesty
Builderjay
New

Post by Builderjay »

It gets worse!
Opened the bonnet today to see if I can adjust the bonnet and all the paint is flaking off the inside of the bonnet.
Obviously no prep has been done. Just sprayed top coat onto the black primer. Just hope the outside of the panels last now!
Oh well chin up! 😂