Rear View Camera Installation - how easy is it?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Rear View Camera Installation - how easy is it?

Post by gaza1994 »

Hi Guys (it's been a while since posting on here - mostly because the car is behaving - for once!)

So - I've decided i want a rear view camera (parking sensors seem to much of a faff to install - and my missus does a good job of getting louder anyway ;) )

Anyways - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Direct-Fit-R ... SwGn5ZsAmZ this is the item im looking to get - how easy would something like this be to install - and im a little scared of pulling apart my car to route the cables, but i guess with the right guidance i could do it.

I will be installing this into my RCD330 (android auto + carplay thingie)

So - yea, how easy is this to install (and would i need any other bits and bobs to connect it) with the only knowledge i have is to hit things with a hammer :D

As always, thanks guys :D
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Re: Rear View Camera Installation - how easy is it?

Post by gaza1994 »

anyone? :(
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It’s not an overly difficult install. As this is in the bumper rather than the bootlid the hardest part is running the cables and wiring it in

If you are capable it’s probably a 3/4 to a days work
Builderjay
New
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 petrol 6r

Post by Builderjay »

Doing this to my daughters car tomorrow. Same camera too.
If I’m correct (new car to me) is lights out. Rear bumper off, wire through grommet behind, connect earth and live wire to reverse bulb wiring then wire all the way up to head unit.
Done the same to my transporter so shouldn’t be too bad.

Can anyone advise on easiest route to get cable up to the head unit??

BJ
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that once you have found out which side of the car the manufacturer has used for front<>rear cabling, then you just use that side, a nuisance needing to lift plastic trim up though, though as you are only probably needing to pass a thin cable bundle through, you might be able to fish it through as long as you try to make sure it is inside all retaining clips along its route. I did not kind of job on my S4 with a slightly thicker cable bundle, not as easy as I thought it might be, but still very doable once you have eased off trim and trim covers/panels.

Edit:- I probably don't blame you for going down this route instead of fitting bumper mounted sensors as drilling for them is a bit stressful but still very doable as their locations are marked inside the bumper cover, the official VW etc aftermarket Vodaphone latest ones look exactly the same as the factory fit ones. (as long as you paint them)
Builderjay
New

Post by Builderjay »

4 hour job from start to finish.
1, remove tail lights.
2, Remove bumper (number plate lights out 1st).
3 Insert camera into one of the number plate holes and push the camera cable through the grommet into the boot area.
4, Pull away plastic trim where the boot striker is.
5, Pull away near side carpet and trim to get to the wiring behind the tail light.
6, The reverse light power is the bottom cable on the multi plug that you can see from the inside of the car. Thick blue and black colour wire.
7, Splice into this cable and I inserted an in-line fuse to the camera. There is a 10mm nut with earths in this area too so here I crimped a earth tag on the camera earth and connected it here.
8, I removed the plastic trims along the top of the passenger side and the one in the passenger rear I pulled slightly away. From the rear I pushed a length of 15mm speed-fit plumbing pipe and behind the above trims and taped the camera video cable to it and pulled the pipe and cable through to the front.
9, Ran the cable through to the head unit, connected it to that and once tested put all the trims back.
10, Made a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich.
11, Handed keys to my daughter.
12, Happy Dayz!

BJ
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

Builderjay wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:00 pm 4 hour job from start to finish.
1, remove tail lights.
2, Remove bumper (number plate lights out 1st).
3 Insert camera into one of the number plate holes and push the camera cable through the grommet into the boot area.
4, Pull away plastic trim where the boot striker is.
5, Pull away near side carpet and trim to get to the wiring behind the tail light.
6, The reverse light power is the bottom cable on the multi plug that you can see from the inside of the car. Thick blue and black colour wire.
7, Splice into this cable and I inserted an in-line fuse to the camera. There is a 10mm nut with earths in this area too so here I crimped a earth tag on the camera earth and connected it here.
8, I removed the plastic trims along the top of the passenger side and the one in the passenger rear I pulled slightly away. From the rear I pushed a length of 15mm speed-fit plumbing pipe and behind the above trims and taped the camera video cable to it and pulled the pipe and cable through to the front.
9, Ran the cable through to the head unit, connected it to that and once tested put all the trims back.
10, Made a cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich.
11, Handed keys to my daughter.
12, Happy Dayz!

BJ
So i bought this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCD330- ... 0.0.pnNC57 im assuming thats what you mean by number 7 ... from my research thats all i could find that would work with it!

and ooo, bacon sammich and coffee sounds about right!

Thanks for the pointers! :D
Builderjay
New

Post by Builderjay »

No I didn’t use that box as it’s not needed.
You get the power for the camera from the light feed to the reverse bulb. In line fuse holder is just a fuse to separately fuse the camera but is protected anyway from the cars fuse box.

Let me know if you want anymore help.

BJ
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

Builderjay wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:18 pm No I didn’t use that box as it’s not needed.
You get the power for the camera from the light feed to the reverse bulb. In line fuse holder is just a fuse to separately fuse the camera but is protected anyway from the cars fuse box.

Let me know if you want anymore help.

BJ
Ah! I was told that i need that time delay box as aftermarket reverse cameras do some weird switching themselves off and go black with the RCD330...
Builderjay
New

Post by Builderjay »

Arr I didn’t know that. Well at least you’ve got it coming. My daughter has a xtrons Chinese thing that came with the car installed by the previous owner.
It should come with instructions so you’ll be fine
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

Builderjay wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm Arr I didn’t know that. Well at least you’ve got it coming. My daughter has a xtrons Chinese thing that came with the car installed by the previous owner.
It should come with instructions so you’ll be fine
ah, yea! thats the difference, OEM head units sh*t themselves with aftermarket cameras without the time delay box, where as if both are aftermarket its fine! :)

cheers for the help dude :)
torro
New
Drives: VW Polo 6R

Post by torro »

Does anyone know if the RVC, e.g. 510827469B for the new MIB units can be installed in 6R using an RGB adaptor or similar?

The new RVC is easier to come by for a reasonable price, and a few eBay seller writes: "Anschluss an RNS-510 oder RNS-315 über ein zusätzliches Steuergerät (IMA-Box)". Maybe something like this, which suggest that the camera has composite video? https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/ima-m ... apter-plus
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

That kufatec adapter isn’t for this purpose

When I did the RVC on the Tiguan it was either the hi or the lo as it needed the brain box to go with it (for the hi) and the input was a 30 pin connector
torro
New
Drives: VW Polo 6R

Post by torro »

Ah, I see. So it would probably be possible to install the RVC high using the control box e.g. 3C9907441 or 5n0907441, plus a $50-60 wiring harness. Not a cheap project :roll:
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

So - just as an update, i finally managed to get it fitted (well - i didnt do it, i knew a guy who could do it for a fair amount of monies!)

It's pretty awesome - no more hitting things (minus that one time i hit a Peugeot - but i was technically doing him a favour lol)