Bilstein B14 coilovers on 6R Gti

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Marticroft
New
Drives: Polo Gti 6r

Bilstein B14 coilovers on 6R Gti

Post by Marticroft »

Has any of you guys got Bilstein B14 PSS fitted? What do yer reckon to live with for a daily driver?
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Re: Bilstein B14 coilovers on 6R Gti

Post by cheba »

I have the B14's on my WRC. They are quite stiff, so on bad roads they are a quite annoying. On smooth roads the handling is great though.

For me they work for daily driver but then again, I'm used to a stiff ride since my old car was a Golf GTI mk3, lowered on cheap stiff coilovers. And the factory suspension of the WRC wasn't exactly made for a comfortable ride either.

If a stiff ride is unacceptable for you then I would suggest something else, preferrably something adjustable. I would have wanted the KW V2's, but the price was over my budget (they may very well be worth it though). The main reason I chose Bilstein was that they hade the best priced kit of all the well known brands.

The B14 kit for the WRC is different from the other Polos. I'm guessing it's stiffer to compensate for the higher weight, so in the end they are probably similar to the other Polos in (lack of) comfort.
Marticroft
New
Drives: Polo Gti 6r

Post by Marticroft »

Cheers Cheba just found your reply ....food for thought :?
mixalisgti
New
Drives: polo gti 6c manual

Post by mixalisgti »

I want to install b14 coilovers on my 6c polo gti will they fit ? I have sport button with electronic dumper control
Esham
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Esham »

mixalisgti wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm I want to install b14 coilovers on my 6c polo gti will they fit ? I have sport button with electronic dumper control
I have the same problem. Each shock has an electronic plug ontop. Once unplugged the car throws a “ Faulty Damper” error.

How do I get around this? Thanks in advance..
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

From what I've understood (not Polo specific but regarding DCC equipped VW's in general), you can install a supension kit without DCC in a DCC car but it will leave you with an error in the dash that cannot be hidden easily. There are "DCC cancellation kits" sold by for example KW which you plug into the harness in place of the OEM DCC damper, and it will trick the system that there is a working DCC damper plugged in. It seems that these cancellation kits are quite expensive (300+ USD). Plus you end up with a useless DCC button.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

why not pull the fuse and program it all out?
Esham
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI

Post by Esham »

cheba wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:01 am From what I've understood (not Polo specific but regarding DCC equipped VW's in general), you can install a supension kit without DCC in a DCC car but it will leave you with an error in the dash that cannot be hidden easily. There are "DCC cancellation kits" sold by for example KW which you plug into the harness in place of the OEM DCC damper, and it will trick the system that there is a working DCC damper plugged in. It seems that these cancellation kits are quite expensive (300+ USD). Plus you end up with a useless DCC button.
Thanks for this. Did not know you get these kits so definitely worth looking into.

The Polos have a sport button which firms suspension, adjusts throttle response and stiffens up the steering. Feels like it does something to the gear changing points as well. So it wont exactly be a useless button. :D
mixalisgti
New
Drives: polo gti 6c manual

Post by mixalisgti »

If we dont plug the dcc wires to the new bilstein b14 suspension all the other features like throtle response harder steering wheel etc. Will not work the stiffer suspension wilk not work for sure but wilk the other features get disabled too if we dont purchase the dcc kit that tricks the dcc wires?
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

Oh, OK. I didn't realize it was a "Sport" button, I thought it was just a "DCC" button.

I don't know if the other features of the Sport button will work. It is possible that it becomes entirely inactivated if there is a fault in one of its components, but I don't know for sure.
Aquavalver
Silver Member
Drives: 2013 Polo Blue GT

Post by Aquavalver »

cheba wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 pm I have the B14's on my WRC. They are quite stiff, so on bad roads they are a quite annoying. On smooth roads the handling is great though.

For me they work for daily driver but then again, I'm used to a stiff ride since my old car was a Golf GTI mk3, lowered on cheap stiff coilovers. And the factory suspension of the WRC wasn't exactly made for a comfortable ride either.

If a stiff ride is unacceptable for you then I would suggest something else, preferrably something adjustable. I would have wanted the KW V2's, but the price was over my budget (they may very well be worth it though). The main reason I chose Bilstein was that they hade the best priced kit of all the well known brands.

The B14 kit for the WRC is different from the other Polos. I'm guessing it's stiffer to compensate for the higher weight, so in the end they are probably similar to the other Polos in (lack of) comfort.
How did you find the amount of adjustment on them? As it says only 20-35mm on the front and 15-30mm on the rear. Do you still have the standard 215/35 tyres?