Clutch clonk (after gear selection)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
madjam6rc
New
Drives: 6RC (1.0 SE, 2014)

Clutch clonk (after gear selection)

Post by madjam6rc »

Hi Newbie here. Been lurking for a while since recently picking up a 2014 (6C) 1.0 (60) SE, 25k miles. Loving this car, despite initial reservations it would be too slow ...far from it. Can't fault it at all ... until yesterday.

With recent good weather I was driving with windows down and when changing gear, after gear was selected and releasing the clutch pedal, I can hear a metallic clonk/click (from the engine bay). I tried changing gear more slowly and it's still there but less noisily. I can only assume it's the flywheel/clutch plate engagement but the noise is quite loud and I'd have expected the gearbox workings to be quieter which makes me wonder if it is something else and/or indicative of something wrong. I have owned/driven many manual cars and can't say I've heard this before.

The gearbox is a joy to use ... smooth, no crunching etc, just this metallic clank/clonk when releasing the clutch after the gear's been selected (most noticeably from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th).

Testing the noise with the windows up you can barely hear it. I did a generic Google and seems the Up! and Citigo community (with the same engine, and I assume the same gearbox) have talked about a 'clutch click' (although in most cases it is more of a click from the pedal not the engine bay).

Appreciate any thoughts please. Any other Polo owners hear the same? Thanks! ☺