Halogen DRL in Polo 6R

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheLizardKing
New
Drives: VW GT TSI 1.2

Re: Halogen DRL in Polo 6R

Post by TheLizardKing »

iichel wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:12 pm Excellent, good job! OEM installation! The best kind of installation.
Hi Michel,

Apologies for bumping up this old thread. I wish to execute this mod in my Polo 6C (2015) with stock BCM, and wanted to know if running DRLs through the fuse box will require any additional VCDS coding.
TDITorque wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:51 pm Since this is a non BCM operated DRL, does it support other DRL functions like dimming or turning off on indicator lights?
Also, if you could please reply to this query.

Thanks in advance.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

For the 6c you'll need to do it via the bcm. Via the fuse box is not an option. Vcds coding is mandatory
TheLizardKing
New

Post by TheLizardKing »

iichel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:42 pm For the 6c you'll need to do it via the bcm. Via the fuse box is not an option. Vcds coding is mandatory
But my car doesn't have a BCM Max. It has the BCM High, just like the original poster's car.
iichel

Post by iichel »

Yes but yours is a 6c and not a 6r. These are not comparable in terms of their electrics.
TDITorque
New
Drives: Polo TDI 1.5 (2015)

Post by TDITorque »

iichel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:42 pm For the 6c you'll need to do it via the bcm. Via the fuse box is not an option. Vcds coding is mandatory
I think i'm also in same league as @TheLizardKing.. mine is also 6C.. I have ordered a new headlight for my car with HIDs. Drls in this headlight uses parking lights, that means that I need to keep tail lights and number plate lights on in order to keep DRL running.

Headlights-LED-DRL-Running-lights-Bi-Xenon.png

I still see a little hope of DRL function with stock BCM, as you say VCDS coding is required... :D :D I really need your help in understanding what are the options to just keep the DRL on with ignition without taillights.
TheLizardKing
New

Post by TheLizardKing »

iichel wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:26 pm Yes but yours is a 6c and not a 6r. These are not comparable in terms of their electrics.
Apologies for the confusion. My car is a facelifted 6R sold in India. The 6C was introduced a little later (with features like auto-dimming IRVM, auto-folding ORVMS, etc.) in the same year. So I think I should be able to power the DRLs through the fuse box. Coming back to my original question, will that need VCDS coding? And will the installation support other DRL functions like dimming or turning off on indicator lights?
TDITorque wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:17 am I still see a little hope of DRL function with stock BCM, as you say VCDS coding is required... :D :D I really need your help in understanding what are the options to just keep the DRL on with ignition without taillights.
Hi. If the headlights are non-OEM and come with their own harness (e.g. from AliExpress), I don't think you will be able to change the way the DRLs work. It is the limitation of such units. We will of course wait for Fernando and Michel to give their views.
iichel

Post by iichel »

I don't know the answer for these aftermarket headlights on a polo 6c, I'm sorry.

For powering the DRL on an Indian 6R (bcm 6R0/6RU) you have to do it via the fuse box. No bcm coding involved.
TDITorque
New

Post by TDITorque »

Ok. so I wanted to first clarify what version of polo do i have? - Its a face-lifted version (2014 + facelift). It came with Cruise control, Foldable and adjustable side mirrors, without auto dimming mirror and without rain sensing wipers.

However, I was able to install OEM auto-dimming mirror and Rain Sensor and it works flawlessly. It seems to me that VW guys just wanted to make use of existing over stocked windshields which came with manual/flip mirror brackets installed (despite BCM supporting rain sensor) :D.

Pictures below - (these were done in my DIY project. right from removing existing bracket from windshield and installing a RLS bracket. :) .. i'm very proud of this mod as it looks just OEM)

mirror-windshield.jpg
mirror-inside.jpg

Coming back to DRLs - this is another mod that I'm attempting and want it to look OEM or at least want to achieve OEM behavior if not the OEM look. I'm still not sure if my car is 6R or 6C. but as per @iichel comment seems like DRL will only work via fuse box on Indian Polo.
TheLizardKing wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:45 am Hi. If the headlights are non-OEM and come with their own harness (e.g. from AliExpress), I don't think you will be able to change the way the DRLs work. It is the limitation of such units. We will of course wait for Fernando and Michel to give their views.
I am still hoping for someone to help me with the installation. I wont blame AliExpress as they want to make things plug and play but if I know how a DRL connection will work via BCM, I can tweak the headlight wirings.
iichel

Post by iichel »

6c = bcm part number 6c0 937 089/090
6r = bcm part number 6r0/6ru 937 085/086/087 or 7h0/7e0
TDITorque
New

Post by TDITorque »

thanks @iichel for clarifying!! but i have still not lost hope! :x

Headlight that i have ordered doesn't have parking light in it, instead DRLs are connected in place of front parking light. So in order to keep the DRLs running, i have to turn the switch to parking mode (i.e. rotate switch one step right).

I saw you earlier post about running a wire from 'switch pin 3', but is there a way to wire the existing front parking light in such a way that it remains ON during '0' switch position? This will make the DRLs work as a 'proper DRL' without having to keep the tail lights on..

Please advise..
patil
Silver Member
Drives: Polo6r/1.2TSI/DSG7, T-roc'20 1.5TSI/DSG7

Post by patil »

Hi TDI Torque
The aftermarket headlights you have bought are controlled by headlight switch via supply from fusebox and not by BCM.

There is no way to activate the drl of these headlights through BCM.

2 ways to make your drl work with ignition on:

1. Make a connection between headlight level controller wire and park light wire within the 10 pin headlight connector harness on both sides.
2. Tap a line (+15)from fuse box and route it to engine bay and split it into 2 wires and connect it to park light wire of your factory harness.

I hope this helps. :lol:
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Remember that the parking/side lights on the same side (front and rear) are connected by the same wire on the PQ25 (with BCM High), so if you feed the front for the DRLs (whatever the source), you will also feed the rear.
TDITorque
New

Post by TDITorque »

Thanks! I'm eagerly waiting my parcel to arrive. I'll share the updates soon. 8)
TDITorque
New

Post by TDITorque »

Got my new headlights. I had already embraced the fact that I'll have to do wiring for DRL lights. But after install, I found that everything works fine including DRL lights. It was just a plug-n-play. Surprisingly DRL dims when headlights are turned on!!. I'm still clueless if Indian version of Polo came with DRL wiring?? Here is the video of functionality.

https://youtu.be/8Sq807ha9ns
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

iichel wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm 6c = bcm part number 6c0 937 089/090
6r = bcm part number 6r0/6ru 937 085/086/087 or 7h0/7e0
Exactly.
Polo, Vento and Ameo in India are based on 6R.
Externals make it look like 6C.
Older vehicles had 6R0 BCM and newer one have 7EO BCM