Dash cams?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Dash cams?

Post by wolfie »

I've been mulling over getting a Dash cam for months and think I've got to the point where I have two on my short list (though that has been changing almost daily.. :lol: :lol: )

The two I've whittled down to are both single channel (front) and sub £100. I know there are arguments for spending more but I just want one that will record accidents/incidents not film a Hollywood epic.

First is the VioFo A119S and the second is a DDpai mini 2. Performance wise they are not far apart, the main difference being the VioFo has a small display screen. They both look discrete when installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHtem_iBdO4

Anyone have any experiences using other devices, or pointers?
Deadeye
New
Drives: Beats 1.2TSI

Re: Dash cams?

Post by Deadeye »

I have had the Blackvue 400 gII since 2012 and just moved it over to the Polo. Got a Blackvue 450 for the Lotus.
Wasnt really impressed with the 450, it does the job, but after 5 years not ground breaking leaps in improvement. The lens has wider angle must be 120 deg to 170 deg. A bit sharper a bit better in the dark.
The small Cylinder shape was important for me as I want a discrete camera. Lack of monitor is fine as I dont want excessive bulk. So of the two you listed DDpai mini 2 would be what I would go for.

Blackvue are good been around for a while and established, but you will pay a bit of premium. They have some nice features, like parking mode if you need it. GPS location of video.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers for that.

Another quick general question.

My plan is to hardwire the camera, my initial thoughts were that I would simply locate the feed for the 12V-out/Cigarette socket in the fuse box. Never thought to check whether it has its own fuse, or is on a circuit with other feeds. Anyone know what fuse number it is? So far as I can tell the max current draw for the the camera would be 1.5A. ( so I assume I would need to choose a circuit that has a little spare capacity to cope wih the extra load)

Also where might I source circuit diagrams for the 6R0 Polo? (1.2Tsi, 2011)
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

you can buy the little fuse clips to go in the fuse box from vw.

that way you can have it's own feed and it will be a lot neater.

have a look at post #9 here
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Dink wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 am you can buy the little fuse clips to go in the fuse box from vw.

that way you can have it's own feed and it will be a lot neater.

have a look at post #9 here
Cheers, some good links and info in there. Thanks for that.

I was planning to go down the easy route and simply buy a piggy-back fuse kit. I think I sussed that it's fuse location 42 that is the 12V aux socket feed. Though I do think having it's own wired feed would be a far better idea.