Android Auto - voice control button

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
duffman
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Android Auto - voice control button

Post by duffman »

Hi
I have Android Auto enabled and working in my GTi, and wondered if anyone knows if it's possible to trigger the android voice control / Google assistant from the car?

I thought pressing the voice button on the steering wheel would do it, but it just comes up saying I don't have voice control (because I didn't spec it), but that voice control is just for the car not for Android Auto. We have a 208 which has android Auto / apple car play, and when using car play we can press a button on the wheel to trigger Siri, which is so useful.

I know I can just press the voice icon on the screen but not having to touch / look at anything would be so much easier.

Any clues, or is it just not possible?
whitty_77
New
Drives: Polo 17

Re: Android Auto - voice control button

Post by whitty_77 »

Have you tried pressing and holding the Voice button on the steering Wheel? This works on Car Play
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The voice command is a so called SWaP function, software as a product. You'll need to pay to have it, you can activate it afterwards by going to a VW dealer and purchase a code.
This way, they can activate the function for you. I don't know how expensive it is.
duffman
Bronze Member

Post by duffman »

iichel wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:50 pm The voice command is a so called SWaP function, software as a product. You'll need to pay to have it, you can activate it afterwards by going to a VW dealer and purchase a code.
This way, they can activate the function for you. I don't know how expensive it is.
Hi, I dont think it is the standard Voice Control which is a paid for feature, I just want to be able to activate the Google Assistant voice control from a steering wheel button if possible.

whitty_77 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 am Have you tried pressing and holding the Voice button on the steering Wheel? This works on Car Play
Will try this and see, thanks!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

have you tried turning the volume down and saying "ok google"?
duffman
Bronze Member

Post by duffman »

Dink wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 pm have you tried turning the volume down and saying "ok google"?
Yeah, that should work, OK Google works fine on my phone around the house etc, but again if playing music it'd be nice to just press a physical button to activate it. It works so seamlessly with Car Play in our 208 and really makes you want to use it, would be nice to have it like that