Clunking sound in the rear

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Clunking sound in the rear

Post by gaza1994 »

Hi Guys,
So past few days i've noticed a weird clunking sound coming from the rear of the car, its only noticiable when going over a pothole (which there are many of round here) or when going over a bump.

Any ideas what it could be?

Normal driving, cant really notice any noises.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Clunking sound in the rear

Post by iichel »

rear shocks might have gone or bolts have become untight.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that first of all, are you really really sure that that noise is coming from the rear of the car, my wife's 2015, so 6C Polo makes a clunking noise mainly really when changing gear, but also when engine/gearbox load changes quickly and so when crossing uneven patches etc on the road, I think that it is coming from the rear and my wife, when she is in the passenger seat think sit is coming from the centre or front of the car, for her car that would tie in with my thoughts of what is happening as I suspect it is engine/gearbox mounting related.

Just a thought really as some of these noises can be very tricky to locate within the car.
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:15 pm I'd think that first of all, are you really really sure that that noise is coming from the rear of the car, my wife's 2015, so 6C Polo makes a clunking noise mainly really when changing gear, but also when engine/gearbox load changes quickly and so when crossing uneven patches etc on the road, I think that it is coming from the rear and my wife, when she is in the passenger seat think sit is coming from the centre or front of the car, for her car that would tie in with my thoughts of what is happening as I suspect it is engine/gearbox mounting related.

Just a thought really as some of these noises can be very tricky to locate within the car.
im not really too sure to be honest!

I've got the car booked in next week to get rear end looked at to check if it is the shocks or not :)

better safe than sorry