Upgrading mk8 basic polo S to hands free via stereo head unit

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
dapper
New
Drives: 2014 Mk8 6r S 60

Upgrading mk8 basic polo S to hands free via stereo head unit

Post by dapper »

Hi, I'm a new member so please excuse my steep learning curve with regard to polo questions.

My daughter has an early MK8 2014 basic spec Polo S 60hp. The car is really nice but very basic as standard, with no remote central locking, no aircon, no alloys, no phone connectivity, no front fogs etc. Some of that isn't too big a deal and I have now retrofitted remote locking and front fog lamps and plan to get her some alloy wheels to replace the small steel ones/plastic trims.

I'm now moving on to upgrading the standard RCD310 and am trying to understand the technicalities of how I can achieve phone hands free (iPhone) connectivity. The steering wheel is basic, with no buttons for phone etc and I'm not sure if there is Bluetooth at all (though I'm sure it 'mentions' it in some of the literature?).

I'm looking at RNS315 / RNS510 / RCD510 head units (genuine not a clone) as they seem to be widely available and will physically fit, but I don't know about the Bluetooth, is that embodied inside these higher range head units, or do I also need to buy some other widget? I realise I may also need to have some coding done but just want to be clear before I embark on buying a used head unit (one of the three above).

Appreciate any specific advice, I have searched threads and there are many but I think I just got more confused the more I tried to take in, and I've now been hours at it just trying to educate myself so I thought it would be best to ask now.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Upgrading mk8 basic polo S to hands free via stereo head unit

Post by iichel »

The RNS315 can have internal bluetooth (look for a sticker with a MAC address)
The RNS510 and RCD510 require an external bluetooth module.
A multifunction steering wheel is not a necessity to make the bluetooth work.
dapper
New
Drives: 2014 Mk8 6r S 60

Re: Upgrading mk8 basic polo S to hands free via stereo head unit

Post by dapper »

Thank you very much for that quick reply, exactly what info I needed.