New Polo owner - need pointers on cruise control and nav...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
slicendice
New
Drives: Black GTi 2016 (6c)

New Polo owner - need pointers on cruise control and nav...

Post by slicendice »

Hi everyone

First post here so firstly...hello everyone! :mrgreen: Currently in the process of purchasing a 6c Polo GTi and I'm looking at a couple of add-ons (OK OK...so it's officially my g/f's car but if I drive it enough I think I should be able to claim squatters rights :D )

So the first thing I'm looking at is cruise control. I thought this would be relatively straightforward (I have a Skoda Octavia and can be fitted on there no prob) but from looking around online and on here, it seems to be a bit of an uncertain area. Has anyone retrofitted cruise control to a 6c GTi? And if so, was it the stalk or the steering wheel version? I'm guessing stalk is going to be easier but I was having a poke around online and found this: https://www.ebay.at/itm/Original-VW-Tem ... 1147364638. I know it says "not for GTi" (thanks Google Translate!) but presumably that's simply because the steering wheel trim it comes with isn't for the flat-bottomed GTi wheel...and presumably the button clusters could be put into a GTi steering wheel? Or am I being hopelessly optimistic? (It has been known! :lol: )

The second thing I'm looking at is getting sat nav for the head unit (have to be honest, I was a bit surprised/disappointed that cruise control and nav weren't standard! But I guess it keeps the cost down for those who don't rate them). As the days of the RNS510-style "just swap the head unit for a new one" seem to be gone, it looks like the only option for getting nav on the head unit is the official VW-endorsed Kenwood add-on (ZGB5G0051259) that gives Garmin nav on the head unit. Not a cheap option but I'd rather have integrated than a separate unit dangling around on a suction cup with wires trailing all over the place. Has anyone had fitted this? Did you DIY it or get dealer to fit for you?

Think that's all for now :-) If anyone has any pointers, I'd be v grateful...

Thanks!