Side skirts

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Re: Side skirts

Post by Andy1273 »

cheba wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Yes, the GTI skirts (like the R-line skirts) fit on top of standard sills.

Note that the OEM skirts are designed to be fitted by drilling a series of self-tapping screws into the side sill (as shown in the Google doc linked by CNK). This is a horrible solution because of the risk of corrosion and also because you can't just remove the skirts later (this would leave the holes exposed).

If I were to install them, I would use a good double sided tape and stick it to the flat spots on the inside of the skirt, between the "keyholes" for the screws (check CNK's later link to see what I'm talking about). Although it is possible that the tape would have to be quite thick.

Also note that the OEM parts are quite expensive (something like 200€ per side for the GTI skirts I think).
Cheba, would bonding them be sufficient enough to hold them in place?
I've looked at fitting the genuine gti side moulding extension pieces and vw said i would need to install brackets to the sill first then mount the side moulding.
They said I may have a problem of my sill doesn't already have the holes there with screw threads in them , but surely this is what self taping screws are for?.
Attachments
20180615_130947.jpg
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

Just one more quick question please for you guys in the know?

Will 6r r line sills fit on a 6c ?
And what's best OEM or aftermarket ones?

Cheers.

Oh and part numbers for OEM ones, looked in the parts section and can't find any post with them on?
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

Andy1273 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm Will 6r r line sills fit on a 6c ?
Yes
Andy1273 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 pm And what's best OEM or aftermarket ones?
  • 6R0853855B
  • 6R0853856B
  • 6R0853493
  • 6R0853494

http://www.realoem.me/Volkswagen/RDW/PO ... 853/853020
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

Andy1273 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:20 am Cheba, would bonding them be sufficient enough to hold them in place?
I've looked at fitting the genuine gti side moulding extension pieces and vw said i would need to install brackets to the sill first then mount the side moulding.
They said I may have a problem of my sill doesn't already have the holes there with screw threads in them , but surely this is what self taping screws are for?.
It is my guess that a good double sided tape or adhesive suited for the purpose would do the trick. Yes, at least some skirts (don't know about all of them) are 2-piece and use a "bracket" part which is attached to the sill, and the skirt itself is then simply clipped onto the bracket part. And from what I've seen, the bracket part also has 2 extensions which are attached with screws to 2 holes under the body inwards of the sill. So even if the tape/adhesive would start to let go, the skirt wouldn't immediately fall off.

I don't know if cars with skirts from factory have holes with threads. At least the official workshop manual states that when retrofitting skirts, self-tapping screws are used to attach the bracket part. As I said, I personally would never use self-tapping screws to attach something onto the body of my car.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

cheba wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:18 pm I don't know if cars with skirts from factory have holes with threads. At least the official workshop manual states that when retrofitting skirts, self-tapping screws are used to attach the bracket part. As I said, I personally would never use self-tapping screws to attach something onto the body of my car.
The skirts on the mk6 Golf GTI and GTD use self tapping screws into the sills. They can be seen in the ‘how to’ YouTube video I posted earlier in this thread showing how to remove them. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is still the method used in the factory to attach side skirts.