Multimedia cable

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PoloDave75
New
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Multimedia cable

Post by PoloDave75 »

Morning, I have the RNS310 Head unit in my 2011 GTI. Is there a cable I can buy to connect an android phone? I want to use the head unit to control the phone (to be used for music only)

The ones I have seen on eBay all seem to be unable to use the head unit as a controller. If anyone can help me out with the part number of a genuine VW one I'd be very grateful!

Thanks.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Re: Multimedia cable

Post by cheba »

I'm not sure if you can control the phone over cable, but if you have Bluetooth in your car you can do it over Bluetooth.

If you have the multimedia interface (MMI) in the glove compartment, you can get an adapter cable to connect an iPod or a USB drive. I have the MMI to USB-A adapter cable and if I plug a USB drive in it, I can use the keys on the head unit or the MFSW to control it. I don't know whether plugging an Android phone into this adapter would allow me to play music from it, I've never tried (perhaps it would work with the phone in USB drive mode).

There are also third party adapters for iPhones or Android like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Interf ... B076MW9V8K but I think that the USB plug is only for charging which means you can't control the phone from the head unit. So it's similar to using the 3.5mm line in on the front of the head unit.

My Polo has Bluetooth in addition to the RNS 315 which means I can stream music without a cable, and this is how I do it nowadays.
PoloDave75
New
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by PoloDave75 »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have the MMI socket in the glove compartment but unfortunately I don’t have the Bluetooth option. I’ll pick up a USB-A cable and see what happens.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I think I have an Genuine VW usb cable for the glovebox plug in knocking about if your interested?