Contentious topic - which petrol are you using?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Contentious topic - which petrol are you using?

Post by wolfie »

Makepeace wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 pm Generally speaking I use tesco for fuel (it's esso oil they use anyway isn't it??) and i'll use 95ron most of the time however about once a month i'll let the tank get near empty and put in momentum 99 or similar and it does tend to make the car idle a bit smoother but other than that no difference : :shock:

EDIT: This is on an NA car.
I'm about the same. I run mine Shell unleaded for the most part, but every 4 or 5th fill-up I switch to the Nitro+ stuff or whatever they are calling it this week. It doesn't make a scrap of difference to how the car goes, I just go with it in the hope it will do as the sales blurb clams and help keep everthing clean.
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Post by EDI GTI »

I always use Tesco Momentum as well (the 99 ron stuff), the GTI tells you only to use premium fuels, I have no idea if it does offer any benefit as its only ever been filled with premium but the car always runs perfect. Not even that much extra than the normal stuff and gets you more clubcard points :wink:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

EDI GTI wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:41 pm I always use Tesco Momentum as well (the 99 ron stuff), the GTI tells you only to use premium fuels, I have no idea if it does offer any benefit as its only ever been filled with premium but the car always runs perfect. Not even that much extra than the normal stuff and gets you more clubcard points :wink:
I really can't see VW Group telling you to only use premium fuel in as much as that meaning UL+ as EU regs for the past maybe 10 years has demanded that normal road cars MUST be capable of running on normal UL ie 93/94 fuels. Only exceptions being certain sports cars that get hammered with higher road tax etc.
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Post by EDI GTI »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:11 pm
EDI GTI wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:41 pm I always use Tesco Momentum as well (the 99 ron stuff), the GTI tells you only to use premium fuels, I have no idea if it does offer any benefit as its only ever been filled with premium but the car always runs perfect. Not even that much extra than the normal stuff and gets you more clubcard points :wink:
I really can't see VW Group telling you to only use premium fuel in as much as that meaning UL+ as EU regs for the past maybe 10 years has demanded that normal road cars MUST be capable of running on normal UL ie 93/94 fuels. Only exceptions being certain sports cars that get hammered with higher road tax etc.
There is a sticker in the fuel filler cap that advises "Premium & Super Unleaded" with a minimum of 95 ron, so it would probably be fine on the normal stuff in the UK, but best just to keep it happy eh! Maybe the non GTI models don't state that? VW do like to class it as a 'Sports Car'.
og77
New
Drives: 64 6C 1.2 SE

Post by og77 »

EDI GTI wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:01 pm There is a sticker in the fuel filler cap that advises "Premium & Super Unleaded" with a minimum of 95 ron, so it would probably be fine on the normal stuff in the UK, but best just to keep it happy eh! Maybe the non GTI models don't state that? VW do like to class it as a 'Sports Car'.
Mine says that (not a gti), the dealer pointed it out. He said ignore it. It's why I started this thread!!

I think I'll fill it up with nice stuff the first time, then normal stuff and see if I notice a difference, although I suspect I won't as the biggest difference I'm noticing at the moment is that it's not a 15 year old KA, and that's kind of overriding everything else 😂)