Decat help?? ASAP

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Decat help?? ASAP

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

I'm wanting too decat my polo gti 6c so I can go stage 2 map the decat down pipes are an bomb of money has anyone smashed the original cat out and put it back and for there MOT just put a cat back on ? I know it will put the engine light on I will get it mapped off will the car be a lot louder or not smashing the cat out I should get the same performance as a 400 quid decat down pipe anyone done one of these I'm stuck tbh

Decat yes a few cars but nothing of this age the newest car I done was a 2007 ford ka sport haha

Will a catback exhaust pass an MOT for sure cause don't want too get stuck for its MOT when it's due
image.jpeg
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Decat help?? ASAP

Post by iichel »

Why not go for a stage 1 remap? This won't mess with an of your emission regulating devices and will give you plenty of power. You'll have about the same power of a 6R WRC after a stage 1 remap which will get this light FWD car along very very nicely. And you'll save a ton of money and you'll pass MOT without any issues.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Given the new enhanced MoT regulations you should be very wary about removing the catalytic converter. Should you be stopped for a VSA roadside check the absence of the cat will mean an on the spot prohibition notice which will cost you a lot of money, you will also get a hefty fine.

Perhaps more importantly by running a car that does not comply with construction and use regulations your insurance will be invalid, more fines and potential bankruptcy should you have to meet a claim.

You might escape the MoT trap by temporarily refitting the cat but it would have to be fitted in a way that replicated OEM so you would not save any money. Should you crash the car in a non cat condition you would not be able to refit the cat before your cheat is discovered so you will have multiple problems.

Obviously it’s your choice whether or not you wish to run a non compliant car but you will need to tell your insurance company who, given the tighter MoT regulations may refuse to cover you, that refusal would need to be reported to any other company you approach with obvious repercussions.

Ichels advice is, as usual, very sound.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

The decat is cheap

This is what you really need
Attachments
20180611_165612.jpg
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Where did you find that decat and how much are they the reason for wanting too go stage 2 is due too and extra 60 bhp stage one only go a up 20 bhp for the same Remaps price as stage 2 haven't ran a legal car once in my life
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

That's a milltek sports cat with a ceramic coating

You won't get that much more from stage 2 over stage 1

I'm going to going straight to stage 3 :lol:
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

There seemed too be at least a 40 bhp difference between one and two how much is the cat is it just a high flowing cat would that still work with stage two?

What's required for stage three?
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Most I've seen are around 10-15bhp

Don't think you want to know the price lol

Yeah it's a high flow cat that can be used with stage 2

Stage 3 requires a turbo change
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Properly don't want too know haha think am just gonna get a custom fab decat straight pipe done tbh cars worth spending decent money on so might as well spend
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Best of luck, I hope it goes well for you and you don’t have cause to regret posting a picture showing your registration number.

You never know who subscribes to these forums.