6R TSI knocking sound from front right wheel and when accelerating?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Ash6R
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.2 TSI SEL

6R TSI knocking sound from front right wheel and when accelerating?

Post by Ash6R »

Hey guys, so my car is making a knocking/clunking noise from the front right hand side of the car, its really noticeable when going over speed humps or on poor road surfaces(every road in London pretty much!). Also when accelerating in third or fourth gear from low RPMs it also makes the same knocking sound but a bit faster. I just came back from uni and my parents are the ones that informed me that this noise has been going on for nearly 8 weeks now! Not sure if any permanent damage can be caused from these symptoms when driving at normal speeds.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

PS - Before i left, i installed new discs and pads by myself and let a garage put new drop links since they said it was worn.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 6R TSI knocking sound from front right wheel and when accelerating?

Post by iichel »

Could be some drop links, connecting the anti roll bar that aren't fastened properly.
Or you could have some issue with CV joints of the drive shafts, but I'd have a look at the drop links first.
Ash6R
Bronze Member

Post by Ash6R »

The noise started roughly a week after the new drop links were installed, could the garage have done it wrong? I thought it could be the top mounts or engine mounts since i just noticed that when i move of quite quickly, it will make a little knock/clunk sound as well. Not sure how hard it is to replace worn engine mounts! I'll check the CV joints as well, but it doesnt make any noise when turning the steering wheel, only when going over rough roads and speed humps...
albob
Bronze Member
Drives: BlueGT

Post by albob »

Sounds like something loose -- as you have had a repair, I would take it back to the garage.

This may sound obvious - but have you checked the wheel nuts ??!!
Ash6R
Bronze Member

Post by Ash6R »

Yeah checked the wheel nuts and all tight in all four corners. Im starting to think it might be the top mounts, going to have a look later on today.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

What age is your Polo and when was it built, I'm asking that as it seems that early Ibiza 6J has issues that were mainly sorted out under warranty and it concerned the top bearing and maybe the top spring plate. Certainly my daughter's late 2009 had slightly annoying noises that disappeared after I replaced the front springs (OS one broke), top spring plates, top bearing and top rubber mounting last June/July. I can't say when it started making these noises as I only started looking after it in early 2013 while she worked abroad.
Ash6R
Bronze Member

Post by Ash6R »

The polo is a 62 plate built in September. I was watching some videos and it sounds similar to an engine mount being worn maybe... Hopefully there inst any permanent damage after being driven like this week for 8 weeks!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe your car was built too late to have the early versions of the bearing and plate!

My wife's August 2015 6C makes a slight noise on accelerating and moving onto the over run, I think that it is power train related but what I have not worked out yet.