Scirocco steeringwheel airbag MF harness problem

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
belastingdienst
New
Drives: 6C GTI

Scirocco steeringwheel airbag MF harness problem

Post by belastingdienst »

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a scirocco steering wheel, here's a picture of the same wheel:

However I have a problem with the MultiFunction airbag harness.
Here's a picture of the airbag with 2 marked ground points

And a picture of the MF harness with marked corresponding ground points.

As you can see I have one extra ground point marked with blue.
And also where my problem starts, I can't find a corresponding ground point for it on the airbag as I can only find 2.

Is there a reason I cannot find it? Is it like the different polo airbags (mf and non mf), meaning I have to purchase another airbag?

Does anyone know what I can do or does anyone know where I can find the missing ground point on the airbag?

Thanks in advance.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Scirocco steeringwheel airbag MF harness problem

Post by ciclo »

7he4Ce
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TDI 2014

Post by 7he4Ce »

Greetings everybody,

I am in the same spot as you right now.

I have purchased the same MFSW (from a scirocco, no cruise control on the buttons, red LEDs), and i have followed the instructions on ciclo's post and also purchased the 7E0 971 584 C wiring loom.
Now all that is missing is an airbag with those 3 ground points.

I did my research and found out that airbags:
5G0 880 201 J
5G0 880 201 E
have those 2 ground points, 3 total connections (the airbag cover has the clean design, without the hexagonal pattern found in the newer versions), but have been replaced by newer models!

5G0 880 201 D,
5G0 880 201 L HVF
do not have 2 ground points, they have 1 ground point and 2 total connections.

Now, i believe that 5G0 880 201 AC HVF is the newest version of them all, the airbag cover has the hexagonal pattern and i am 90% sure that it has 3 ground points. But i need to double-check this.

At this point i would like to point out an extremely important thing. There has been a recall, regarding the airbag igniters (made by Autoliv), for some VW vehicles that have been possibly fitted with some of the airbags we are looking to purchase.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... -5911.pdf
https://car-recalls.eu/?listing_type=vo ... 2016-2017/
Recalls regarding the airbags are made according to the vehicle VIN, so we cannot know for sure which is a safe date of manufacture of the airbag when it is sold alone by itself. For example, a VIN indicating a Golf was made in 2017 that needs to be recalled, may have an airbag fitted that was made in 2016 or 2015. Though, that probably means that an airbag made after the vehicle's recall date (lets say in 2018), has it's defects corrected from the factory.

So, i decided to bite the bullet and i think i will spend around 800 Euros (ouch :shock: ) and buy the airbag from the official dealership, so that i can avoid potentially hazardous airbags that are listed on ebay. I have found many listings for 5G0 880 201 AC HVF, but i just cannot be sure about their safety. On top of the recall issue, If you google a bit, you will also find some horror stories about sellers with good feedback, above suspicion, selling airbags looking identical to the official thing (stickers too), but with either fake, or problematic igniters that half-inflate. There have been recent news stories about this. It would be great if we could spend around 250 EURO (ebay airbags sell for about this much) and get one of these OEM airbags and be done, but i dont think its that simple. Stay safe.

What do the forum superstars think about 5G0 880 201 AC HVF (you know who you are :lol: ) ? It should be the newest. I have seen ebay listings with photos that show it has 3 ground points.
BUT, are these 3 ground points at the same place like 5G0 880 201 J ?
We know the "J" airbag works, ciclo and iichel, have installed them in the past with 7E0 971 584 C wiring loom and everything worked (beautiful cars btw :!: ). They are very hard to find though, and have been replaced by "AC HVF" according to dealership.
So is 5G0 880 201 AC HVF a suitable replacement to the tried-and-true 5G0 880 201 J when combined with 7E0 971 584 C wires for our PQ25 cars with red-backlight buttons without CC?

I cannot reach a conclusion on my own and i needed to vent!! Have a nice day everybody!
Sorry for the wall of text!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Image :wink: ... 8) 100% :)

eBay pics... :lol:
7he4Ce
New

Post by 7he4Ce »

....aaaaand ciclo to the rescue! :lol:

I saw these ebay listings too, but couldn't quite be sure if that metal thingy was the desired 3rd connector. So, thanks for your necessary and valuable input (..fast too!) !

Now i wonder if there is any difference in the placement of these 3 connector receiver/sockets on the airbag body between "J" and "AC HVF" models. (i would expect them to be exactly the same, but the important thing is, what do you think?)
If they are identical, then that makes "AC HVF" the updated airbag of choice these days( but check if their production date is after the recall timeframe), for MFSW retrofits, for our standard PQ25 Polos, since "J" version is now replaced.

So to recap, Stalks without TRIP computer (to avoid conflicts between MFSW and stalk buttons) + BCM High (2016 or later, for button illumination) + MFSW with "1K8 ... ..." buttons (red backlight, no Cruise Control) + 7E0 971 584 C wiring loom (2 gnd + 1 horn plugs) + 5G0 880 201 AC HVF airbag (2 gnd + 1 horn sockets).

Do these have a green light from you?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Image :lol:

:arrow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VW-VOLKSWA ... 2749.l2649

Based on the images and all the information provided in this sale. I repeat, all the information.
Ask before buying...and tell us your inquiries.
In Portugal there are Portugueses and many other very interesting things. :mrgreen:

BTW, Welcome!, sorry for this oversight.
7he4Ce
New

Post by 7he4Ce »

Thanks for your "welcome". It was not an oversight, because your helpful attitude is a welcoming act by itself!

I already contacted this seller for this specific listing a week ago. I asked for verification of the production date of the airbag, as well as the product number. He replied that the pictures in the listing are real, and they're of the actual item that i would receive if i bought it.

I had a few bad experiences in the past of misleading photos in online sales, where the seller has e.g. 10 very similar items, takes a representative photo of one item, and claims that this photo is what the rest look like too. My most recent example of this was 1 month ago. I bought a 5G0 880 201 E (has 2 gnd+1 horn, but its an even older model than "J"), but i received a "D" model (1 gnd + 1 horn). Luckily i used paypal for this transaction, then claim->return->refund. But it was a waste of time..

After that, i discovered the newer AC HVF model, then i learned about the VW airbag recall issue, and on top of that, i found cases like these, that have become a lot more common:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... rom_China/

At this point i would like to clarify that i can not, and so,i do not associate the gentleman in the ebay listing with any wrongdoing at all. On the contrary, he was very respectful, fast and polite in our brief communication. In fact, this probably looks like a great deal for an OEM airbag.
But since i cannot personally verify the source of the airbag igniter, i think i will choose the path of the dealership for this item. 90% of my car mods have been purchased from ebay, even the steering wheel. I paid 220 EUR for it, it is the same part as the original, while the dealership would charge 900 EUR for it. But i do not feel brave enough to mess around with the airbag.

On the other hand, i did not feel brave enough to commit to buy an 850 EUR airbag from the dealer, with no return/refund possible, if these 3 ground connections were in any way different than the tested "J" model :D
...aaaand that is why there were so many questions! :D

By the way, you should definitely trademark this traffic light picture for your future answers! It is extremely fitting!
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Alvin1001
New
Drives: vento

Post by Alvin1001 »

What if the 2 grounds are connected together (share the same ground point), blue and white goes to mfsw controller pin 4, will the horn work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spacewalker
Bronze Member
Drives: Just a VW

Post by spacewalker »

Alvin1001 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm What if the 2 grounds are connected together (share the same ground point), blue and white goes to mfsw controller pin 4, will the horn work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ground ....is ground
here, under seat, or in engine bay

use a multimeter to check connection and then you can connect wherewer you want...if you understand how the HORN is working