Build date?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Build date?

Post by wolfie »

Is there a was to establish the build date of your Polo?

I've just been looking at FAI/Ruville cam chain replacement kits. Now they list 3 different kits that are date specific for my model. (apparently VW don't list a kit) Now I can look in the V5 and that has the first registration as 10/04/11. But as I bought my car from VW stock I have no idea how many weeks before it may have been built and sitting around.

It there an easy way to find out?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Build date?

Post by iichel »

looking up a few stickers on various components could reveal the approximate production date of the parts and hence the production time window.
in essence, every part will have a sticker with the part number and the production date of the part.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

iichel wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:00 pm looking up a few stickers on various components could reveal the approximate production date of the parts and hence the production time window.
in essence, every part will have a sticker with the part number and the production date of the part.
That had actually crossed my mind. Though I expect there may well be a spread of dates, but it might get me closer. Cheers.

Edit:- The label on my carpet shows a date of 11/02/2011. So I guess that's the earliest. :)
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

yeah, different part have different shelf lives (or at least, time they spend on the self, in the factory warehouse).
two months between selling and assembly is still pretty swift. maybe your dealer can provide you with a reference number for the chain kit, based on your VIN.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

iichel wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm yeah, different part have different shelf lives (or at least, time they spend on the self, in the factory warehouse).
two months between selling and assembly is still pretty swift. maybe your dealer can provide you with a reference number for the chain kit, based on your VIN.

I rang the parts dept and apparently there is no "kit" as such. They would have to look up the parts required from a job sheet, or a least I thought that is what he was telling me.

There is no urgency to it. I don't have any issues as such, other than mine falls into the group of early cars that did have some chain problems. I'm just on the cusp of, do I keep my car for a few more years and gradually do the jobs to give me peace of mind. Or bite the bullet and look for something else. Thing is, the car has thus far been a good little car. I doubt I'd even find another Polo as good. It's 7 years old and only done 27,500. Plus I'm skint at the moment, which would me possibly downsizing to an UP!. While nice little cars, they're nowhere near as nice as a Polo. Just thinking out loud really.

Anyway, Ruville only appear to list two kits for my car. One that includes a few additional parts, like upper sprocket, new bolts, and oil seal. And a second smaller kit that appears to only include chain, followers and tensioner.

https://webcat.schaeffler.com/web/schae ... tion=32813
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

There used to be, within EKTA, the ability to request CAR DATA, this is a document based on the build job sheet for the car with that VIN or in UK at least that first reg number. To date I have requested and was given that for a May 2000 build VW Passat 4Motion, a September 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16 V SE, an October 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V SE S/C, a February 2011 Audi S4, but when I asked for this for my wife’s August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS no one knew what I was talking about, maybe I need to try again soon!

So, ask the parts department and see if you get lucky - there is no charge for this by the way.

By the way, as well as the build date you will also see which parts are fitted where there are options, very handy to knew later in the car’s life when you want to buy parts from other sources like GSF and ECP etc.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Cheers, I have heard of EKTA being mentioned before, but can't say as I've ever seen or used it. How do you get access to it, or is it for trade use only?

I have used ErWin online for the odd bit of information, which I guess is similar?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Re:- build date. So long as I get within a month that will suffice. I just wanted to check the cut-in for the various cam chain kits did not come close to my build date and make things difficult in selecting the correct kit. That said I would probably source the parts from VW unless the other kits were deemed to be superior in some way. (not looked into it properly as yet, and it may never happen if I swap cars this year)

From what I've read there is nothing inherently more difficult in swapping a chain than a belt. In both cases the engine needs to "locked" to maintain the correct timing. It's just there are quite a few more bits to remove for the chain swap, hence more hours labour. I think VW book 5.5 hours, but I'm not sure.
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Try write your VIN here: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/etka/volkswagen/
It worked for me and I got the exact build date and all the PR-codes for my car.
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Thanks for that, but it shows no matches for my VIN.
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

wolfie wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:25 pm Thanks for that, but it shows no matches for my VIN.
Strange - As mentioned it worked for my car.
Edit: Just tried again and it still works...
wolfie
Gold Member

Post by wolfie »

Don't know if anyone is interested but I found a list of "Nasties" associated with the 6R series.

Volkswagen 6R Polo: Recalls

Recalls: Volkswagen 6R Polo

2010-14 Polo 1.2 TDI: fuel leak
In December 2014, a recall was issued for Volkswagen Polo vehicles that had 1.2-litre (55 kW) common-rail diesel engines and were produced from 1 April 2010 to 1 April 2014. In these vehicles, the fuel filter may crack around the inlet connection – this would allow fuel to leak, causing a fuel smell within the vehicle interior and potentially causing a hazard to other road users. As part of the recall, the fuel filter was to be checked and, if not of the improved type, replaced with an improved filter (R/2014/144). The recalled Volkswagen Polo vehicles had VINs in the following ranges:
WVWZZZ6RZAY253869 to WVWZZZ6RZEY239561; and,
WVWZZZ6RZBU006064 to WVWZZZ6RZEU050924.
2014 Volkswagen Polo: unintentional airbag deployment
In February 2015, a recall was issued for Volkswagen Polo vehicles that were manufactured from 1 February 2014 to 1 August 2014. In rare cases, an airbag acceleration sensor may give an incorrect signal which could lead to an unintentional airbag deployment. For the VINs of the recalled Volkswagen Polo vehicles, please see R/2014/176.

Volkswagen 6R Polo: Problems & Faults

This section identifies potential problems, causes and fixes based on the experiences of owners and repairers, online sources and technical service bulletins. This information is provided solely for reference purposes and ukcar.reviews recommends that only properly qualified persons should be entrusted to carry out repairs or modifications. Furthermore, the number of items identified below should not be taken as an indicator of a model’s reliability or the frequency with which they may occur.

2009-13 Volkswagen 6R Polo with 7sp DQ200 DSG: electrolysis and short circuit
In 2014, Volkswagen UK issued a ‘non-code action’ for Volkswagen Polo vehicles that had seven-speed DQ200 DSG transmissions. For these Volkswagen Polo vehicles, sulphur in the synthetic oil and an inorganic heat stabiliser in the plastic parts of the mechatronic unit could cause metallic surfaces to suffer from electrolytic corrosion, particularly in conditions with high temperatures and humidity. Conducting particles could then settle between the circuit paths of the control unit and cause a short circuit and blow the gearbox fuse. If the fuse were to blow, the clutch would open and freewheel, resulting in a sudden and total loss of power to the wheels. Although other vehicle systems such as steering and braking would continue to function, the loss of power may pose a hazard to occupants and other road users. For affected vehicles, the synthetic gearbox oil was to be replaced with mineral oil (NCA/2014/013).

In Australia, two separate recalls were issued for Volkswagen models with seven-speed DQ200 DSGs: one for 2008-11 models (PRA 2013/13626) and one for ‘2013 model year’ vehicles (PRA 2013/13835).
2009-11 VW 6R Polo 1.2 TSI: stretched timing chain (CBZB engine)
For Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.2 TSI vehicles with the CBZB (105 PS) engine that were manufactured prior to 18 June 2011, the timing chain was susceptible to elongation (or stretching). Symptoms of a stretched timing chain include:
A rattling noise from the engine bay; and,
If the timing chain skips teeth on its sprocket, the valve timing may be disturbed. This could cause rough running, illumination of the ‘check engine’ light and, at worst, contact between the valves and pistons which causes serious engine damage.
If the engine warning light illuminates, the vehicle should not be driven.

Repair kit
Since the original timing chain (part no. 03F 109 158B) was susceptible to elongation, Volkswagen released a repair kit (part no. 03F 198 229 A) which included:
A reinforced chain (part no. 03F 109 158 K); and,
A new chain guard with anti-jump teeth (initially, part no. 03F 109 210 C and, subsequently, part no. 03F 109 210 D).
While the 03F 198 229A repair kit prevented the timing chain from stretching, there may still be a rattling noise heard in the first five seconds after start up from the hydraulic chain tensioner since it takes time to accumulate oil pressure. Since the spring inside the chain tensioner loosens over time, this rattling noise is more likely to be heard on older, higher mileage 1.2 TSI engines.
June 2011 production changes
This revised chain and chain guard were incorporated into production from 18 June 2011 – this corresponds to engines numbers after:

CBZ* 462774 (for Mlada Boleslav production); and, CBZ* 714253 (for Salzgitter production).

The production location can be determined by inspecting the sticker on the boost pressure pipe or on the intercooler (‘M’ for Mlada Boleslav or ‘S’ for Salzgitter).

November 2011 production changes
On 7 November 2011, new versions of the CBZ engines were introduced (part no. 03F 103 101 B). For the post-November 2011 CBZ engines, changes included:
A wider timing chain (part no. 03F 109 158 G);
New chain guides (03F 109 509 and 03F 109 469 E);
A black chain tensioner (changed material and size); and,
An improved upper sprocket (changed materials and tooth design).

As such, the post-November 2011 1.2 TSI are not susceptible to the start-up rattle noise of the earlier engines. For reference purposes, however, the timing chain repair kit for these engines has the part no. 03F 198 158 B.

2009-11 Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.2 TSI (105 PS): shim and ECU update
For 2009-11 Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.2 TSI 105 PS vehicles (i.e. with the CBZB engine), the Mahle Rotary Electronic Actuator (REA) may malfunction due to the variable nozzle turbine (VNT) sticking as a result of carbon build-up. This may cause the following symptoms:
The Electronic Power Control (‘EPC’) warning light would illuminate and the vehicle would enter ‘limp home’ mode;
When slowing down in second gear (for example, prior to cornering or entering a roundabout), the driver may experience delayed power delivery when trying to subsequently accelerate; and,
Error code P334B (Charge Pressure Control Actuator – Mechanical Malfunction) may be logged when driving, particularly when lifting off after heavy acceleration.
To fix,
A 2 mm shim was to be fitted between the wastegate actuator and the turbo body; and,
The engine control unit (ECU) was to be updated to calibrate the new actuator position.
It is understood that the ECU re-programming also provided more progressive power delivery. For Skoda vehicles, these measures were implemented as service campaign 24W6.
Some owners experienced rough running subsequent to these measures being implemented. While dealers advised that this should resolve itself within 800 kilometres (500 miles), owners have reported that this has not always been the case.

2009-11 Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.2 TSI: #3 cylinder HT lead failure
For 2009-11 Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.2 TSI 105 PS vehicles (i.e. with the CBZB engine), the high tension (HT) lead for cylinder three passes close to the exhaust manifold. Due to the heat of the exhaust manifold and the lack of insulating material for the HT lead, the lead can be damaged and cause the following symptoms:
The Electronic Power Control (‘EPC’) warning light illuminates and the vehicle enters ‘limp home’ mode;
Loss of power; or, Rough running.

It is understood that the HT leads on post-2012 1.2 TSI engines had heat-resistant sleeves at the coil end to protect against heat radiated from the exhaust manifold.

Volkswagen 6R Polo: delayed deployment of rear head airbag.
In 2011, Volkswagen UK issued a ‘non-code action’ for Volkswagen Polo vehicles due to potentially delayed deployment of the rear head airbag (NCA/2011/019); no further details were provided.

Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.4 TDI: reduction in braking assistance
In 2015, Volkswagen UK issued a ‘non-code action’ for Volkswagen 6R Polo 1.4 TDI vehicles that had VINs in the range WVWZZZ6RZFU005139 to WVWZZZ6RZFU092122. For these Volkswagen 6R Polo vehicles, the brake servo vacuum pipe could soften and contract during prolonged diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration – this could affect brake servo operation and reduce servo assistance such that the driver would need to apply greater force to the brake pedal to reduce vehicle speed. To rectify, the plastic vacuum pipe was to be replaced with an aluminium pipe. Depending on the model, the heat protection mat may also be replaced and the cooling fan control module re-programmed (R/2015/014).

http://ukcar.reviews/volkswagen-polo-6r ... s-recalls/
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

wolfie wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 am Cheers, I have heard of EKTA being mentioned before, but can't say as I've ever seen or used it. How do you get access to it, or is it for trade use only?

I have used ErWin online for the odd bit of information, which I guess is similar?

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

Re:- build date. So long as I get within a month that will suffice. I just wanted to check the cut-in for the various cam chain kits did not come close to my build date and make things difficult in selecting the correct kit. That said I would probably source the parts from VW unless the other kits were deemed to be superior in some way. (not looked into it properly as yet, and it may never happen if I swap cars this year)

From what I've read there is nothing inherently more difficult in swapping a chain than a belt. In both cases the engine needs to "locked" to maintain the correct timing. It's just there are quite a few more bits to remove for the chain swap, hence more hours labour. I think VW book 5.5 hours, but I'm not sure.
I have only used Erwin once and messed up and so did not learn anything, but I think that ETKA will exist within that - unless anyone knows otherwise. I should really spend more time and money in Erwin and get up to speed with using it! If zi’m being completely honest, on the SEAT version I failed to find out how to copy current flow diagrams so started to print them off - and ran my printer out of ink then ran out of time, a proper failed bit of self training!!

Edit:- that other link did not work for me either, well it did not recognise the VIN of wife's August 2015 Polo.