Which Remap is best?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Which Remap is best?

Post by EDI GTI »

Since looking at DasSantos thread regarding his REVO stage 1 ECU remap, I have myself now been looking at getting one for my car.

I am still new to this but have done a considerate amount of research and now hope that some people on here might be able to help out with some suggestions for who they think is best to go to for a remap.

Looking at the different kinds, it is clear those who offer Rolling Road tests and "Personal Development" packages are the best - however the more personal development you get the more it costs (as the longer they have to spend...)

I have collated a list below of those I have found around the Edinburgh area who seem to stand out. Most of these are Nationwide however and have garages situated all over the place.

I'm looking to see if anyone has ever used any of these companies and if you would recommend them/not recommend them or if anyone you suggest is not listed - who they are. Also is it worth paying the extra money to lets say Ecotune as they claim to make it more personalised, or is it not worth the extra cash for the 'benefits' it may make?

As well as this is there anything to look out for, as in a specific test they may perform etc.?

And lastly (before I go ahead with this) does anyone know if it can void the cars warranty? It would obviously be great to get the car remapped but knowing how slimy my local garage can be, I don't want to pay to go ahead with this, for a fault to hinder the car and them to claim the warranty is no longer valid.

Volkswagen POLO GTI 6C 1.8T (Manual) - Standard Specs;
- 192 BHP
- 236 lb ft

Revo Software
BHP - 210-229 bhp
Torque - 271-291 lb ft
Cost - £499.00

Ecotune Scotland (Uses APR Remap and claim to personalise the map to your car (hence why so expensive))
BHP - 252 bhp
Torque - 287 lb ft
Cost - £598.00

Celtic Tuning (Custom Remap)
BHP - 240 bhp
Torque - 280 lb ft
Cost - £360.00

AMD Tuning (Custom Remap)
BHP - 220 bhp
Torque - 280 lb ft
Cost - £399.95

It is also worth noting the figures above are estimates as each car is different, but at least they are all in the same ball park.

Thanks in advance!
GavinNicholson
New
Drives: 6c gti

Re: Which Remap is best?

Post by GavinNicholson »

Id like to hear what prople say about this where about in edinburgh are you from im also edinburgh
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

For me it would be an Apr map.

Had one on my old 9n3 gti and it was great.

If I was not going the whole hog I'd get whatever is required for the Apr stage 2 map and leave it there.
EDI GTI
New

Post by EDI GTI »

Dink wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 am For me it would be an Apr map.

Had one on my old 9n3 gti and it was great.

If I was not going the whole hog I'd get whatever is required for the Apr stage 2 map and leave it there.
APRs software does look to give the best performance once fitted, but then is also by far the most expensive! Really unsure which to go for. Do you have any idea about the warranty, if a remap can void it etc?
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Any remap will invalidate warranty on your drive train parts.

If you remap a car you have to realise that it could all go wrong later on down the road.

My car is 3 years old so I'm on my own now anyway.
FAYBAE
Getting There!
Drives: 6C POLO GT DSG

Post by FAYBAE »

Dink wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm Any remap will invalidate warranty on your drive train parts.

If you remap a car you have to realise that it could all go wrong later on down the road.

Boring.....haha! I had a remap on my taxi in 2013 it was brand new I run it in a bit to 5k then got a Celtic Tuning remap put on it, I serviced it at regular intervals, de-catted it & ran it on Vpower diesel, it covered 250k miles and never had one single issue with the car due to the tune. The only things that got replaced were serviceable things.

People saying it voids the warranty are correct however REVO offer you to go back free of charge and have them uninstall the tune before you go into have warranty work aS this is the only time THE DEALERSHIP could possibly know you've had a ECU flash.

I'm not being argumentative and I know your being informative however if people choose to buy cars that are still within warranty and modify them this is at their own risk. :) Please take this in the nicest possible sounding way, I've been on forums for 8 years and I know a lot of comments come across argumentative and mis-informative.

I'd go with Revo, a lot of tuners will predict "better" results after they're software has been installed on your car then you go to get it rolling roaded and its not all happy days. I'm going by experience however. Every engine is different and had different lives before their owners...luck of the draw and depends also how you drive and maintain it.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

FAYBAE wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 pm
Dink wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 pm Any remap will invalidate warranty on your drive train parts.

Boring.....haha! I had a remap on my taxi in 2013 it was brand new I run it in a bit to 5k then got a Celtic Tuning remap put on it, I serviced it at regular intervals, de-catted it & ran it on Vpower diesel, it covered 250k miles and never had one single issue with the car due to the tune. The only things that got replaced were serviceable things.

People saying it voids the warranty are correct however REVO offer you to go back free of charge and have them uninstall the tune before you go into have warranty work aS this is the only time THE DEALERSHIP could possibly know you've had a ECU flash.

I'm not being argumentative and I know your being informative however if people choose to buy cars that are still within warranty and modify them this is at their own risk. :) Please take this in the nicest possible sounding way, I've been on forums for 8 years and I know a lot of comments come across argumentative and mis-informative.

I'd go with Revo, a lot of tuners will predict "better" results after they're software has been installed on your car then you go to get it rolling roaded and its not all happy days. I'm going by experience however. Every engine is different and had different lives before their owners...luck of the draw and depends also how you drive and maintain it.
Well a bit of fraud between friends is no problem :lol:

I'd still say APR over Revo.

But I'm going to have to go full custom mapping for the mods I'm looking to do.
EDI GTI
New

Post by EDI GTI »

I would normally not be too fussed over the warranty, but just concerned as the car is PCP and will be traded into the garage next year, but seeing as I'm planning to hand it over to BMW I'm starting to think who cares?! Not like they'll know.

Looking at both again, the costs and the reviews APR and Revo both seem really good, but APR at £99 more for "the same" thing seems excessive, both quote and offer the same kind of service, so I think REVO is who I'll end up with (also that sounds like a good safety net if they can switch it back! :D)

Now I just need to get my finger out and get it done!
Blanktc89
New
Drives: Mk 9 gti

Post by Blanktc89 »

You could get a tuning box from tdi-tuning for £370. It's apparently plug and play so you can just unplug it and it's like it never happened. Been eyeing it up myself.

https://www.tdi-tuning.com/car/volkswag ... g-box-chip
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

Blanktc89 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:24 pm You could get a tuning box from tdi-tuning for £370. It's apparently plug and play so you can just unplug it and it's like it never happened. Been eyeing it up myself.

I’ve had their maps on a couple cars, had one on a Ford Courier can & currently on my 2018 Scoda Octavia, both happy with fuel gains and power gains.

I’m looking at buying my mates un-used box and getting it re programmed, blue GT gains are around 185bhp and 305ftlb.

Also free fitting with the box you purchase & if you ever reprogram to another vehicle they will install it on your new vehicle free of charge if you can’t get it installed without help.

Here’s
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

FAYBAE wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 pm
Blanktc89 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:24 pm You could get a tuning box from tdi-tuning for £370. It's apparently plug and play so you can just unplug it and it's like it never happened. Been eyeing it up myself.

I’ve had their maps on a couple cars, had one on a Ford Courier can & currently on my 2018 Scoda Octavia, both happy with fuel gains and power gains.

I’m looking at buying my mates un-used box and getting it re programmed, blue GT gains are around 185bhp and 305ftlb.

Also free fitting with the box you purchase & if you ever reprogram to another vehicle they will install it on your new vehicle free of charge if you can’t get it installed without help.

Here’s
on a diesel i might think about fitting a tuning box (not that i would ever own a diesel again) but i'd never fit one on a petrol

as they just the frig a couple sensor values and petrols are a lot more sensitive to AFR.

p.s it's 308NM we wouldn't want the GT hving more torque than the GTI :lol: :mrgreen:
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

Dink wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 am

Here’s
on a diesel i might think about fitting a tuning box (not that i would ever own a diesel again) but i'd never fit one on a petrol

as they just the frig a couple sensor values and petrols are a lot more sensitive to AFR.

p.s it's 308NM we wouldn't want the GT hving more torque than the GTI :lol: :mrgreen:
Tdi tuning, warrantee your engine, mod boxes cannot harm modern petrol engines due to sophisticated Knock sensors that monitor any premature detonation within the cylinder therefore retarding the ignition & Lambda sensors monitor fuel and air mix ratios therefore if the cars running lean it will add more fuel. These maps on various different cars have been tried and tested and do not exceed the limits of what the car can actually handle in terms on power. The problems arise when companies slap on a remap without health checking the vehicle first (therefore highlighting any issues prior to installing a ECU MAP) or tha the owners don’t or haven’t stuck to regular servicing causing increased wear on components and therefore putting those weakened components under more pressure will cause them to fail.

No company would still be going if they were supplying mod boxes to I.e petrol and Diesel engines and constantly paying out for engine work due to customers having damaged engines due to installing these boxes.

I’m not sponsored by TDI tuning and do not work for them, I’m just highlighting that people should have piece of mind when installing these boxes into their cars 🚗🙌🏻

Sorry yeah NM, that’s upsetting 😂 Probably less on a DSG 🙁
FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

FAYBAE wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:07 am

Here’s

Tdi tuning, warrantee the product for 3 years not the engine however (this would be stupid), mod boxes cannot harm modern petrol engines due to sophisticated Knock sensors that monitor any premature detonation within the cylinder therefore retarding the ignition & Lambda sensors monitor fuel and air mix ratios therefore if the cars running lean it will add more fuel. These maps on various different cars have been tried and tested and do not exceed the limits of what the car can actually handle in terms on power. The problems arise when companies slap on a remap without health checking the vehicle first (therefore highlighting any issues prior to installing a ECU MAP) or tha the owners don’t or haven’t stuck to regular servicing causing increased wear on components and therefore putting those weakened components under more pressure will cause them to fail.

No company would still be going if they were supplying mod boxes to I.e petrol and Diesel engines and constantly paying out for engine work due to customers having damaged engines due to installing these boxes.

I’m not sponsored by TDI tuning and do not work for them, I’m just highlighting that people should have piece of mind when installing these boxes into their cars 🚗🙌🏻

FAYBAE
Getting There!

Post by FAYBAE »

FAYBAE wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 am
FAYBAE wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:07 am

Tdi tuning, warrantee the product for 3 years not the engine however (this would be stupid), mod boxes cannot harm modern petrol engines due to sophisticated Knock sensors that monitor any premature detonation within the cylinder therefore retarding the ignition & Lambda sensors monitor fuel and air mix ratios therefore if the cars running lean it will add more fuel. These maps on various different cars have been tried and tested and do not exceed the limits of what the car can actually handle in terms on power. The problems arise when companies slap on a remap without health checking the vehicle first (therefore highlighting any issues prior to installing a ECU MAP) or tha the owners don’t or haven’t stuck to regular servicing causing increased wear on components and therefore putting those weakened components under more pressure will cause them to fail.

DeolTheBeast
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C

Post by DeolTheBeast »

Hi - I recently have become the owner of a 6C GTI (DSG)

Would anyone have any recommendations for a well respected tuning company (with rolling road) - looking specifically at a Stage 1 map for the moment

Not too fussed on location, willing to travel for the best service

Am I right in saying the map will need to be torque limited, to keep the gearbox OK?

Sorry for the newb questions, first time in a VAG car and just want some pointers

Cheers in advance