Polo GTI 6C air filter ?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Polo GTI 6C air filter ?

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

I've just fitted a K&N filter too my 6c gti pretty much just for a better sound drives spot on sounds good but after being ran for about 20 minutes the engine light came on it clears off but just come back on anyone know why haven't touched any wires as the MAF is on the turbo part ? Any ideas how too clear for good
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Re: Polo GTI 6C air filter ?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Pretty much like the one with the k&n on but I used the original black pipe from the turbo too the air box just put the filter head on that's it
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

This could be being caused due to the filter now taking in warmer air than before as your original OEM had a cold air feed from the grill
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

What did you do will the little pipe that was attached to the oem Airbox?

On my induction kit it included a replacement pipe the joined to the pipe after the filter.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

I just left it hanging in the bay it keeps putting a light on the dash it's doing my head in but love the sound it makes now what does that little pipe do thought it was just a breather house
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

It still has a cold air feed from the girl have left the grill feed on still so the air gets too the pod filter so that shouldn't make a difference
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Not sure what the pipe actually does but I'm guessing that is your problem.

Guess you need some way of teeing it into the intake pipe.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Even with the original grill opening intact that will just feed ambient air into the hot underbonnet area. The confused air will not know it is supposed to go to the filter so will just mix with the hot air.

On a hot day you will generally loose up to 5% of normal power output and use a bit more fuel, no denying it will sound fruity though.

The little pipe feeds information to the ECU which enables it to adjust parameters for greatest efficiency, the ECU is not happy without that input so lights up the warning light. You may be able via VCDS to make the ECU think it doesn’t need that input but I’m only guessing.

If you can contrive some sort of duct or pipe feeding ambient air from the grill intake positioned to discharge very near to the filter you may be able to minimise the reduction in overall performance.

Those filters look great when you open the bonnet don’t they, I can understand why they are popular.

I hope you can sort it without too much grief.
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!

Thanks for all the info on this I went out and got a pipe with a rubber grommets in and put the rubber hose in and the light went off straight away the sound coming from the turbo is great ahha look the dogs b*******s and sounds really good sounds like it's running a massive dump valve every time I let off the throttle
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Does the extra noise get tiring on a long run?

I say that remembering driving a racing coupe with an open exhaust and twin DCOEs from Turin to Calais and thence from Dover to Northamptonshire.

My ears were ringing for a week after and I’m sure it contributed to the tinnitus that plagues me now.

I should have discovered ear plugs many years ago.

I’m glad it has worked out for you.