6c wipers won't turn off

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Daversmth
New
Drives: 6c

6c wipers won't turn off

Post by Daversmth »

Hi All,

My daughter has a 64 plate 6Cpolo 1.2 tsi with less than 10k on the clock.

The wipers remain in intermittent wipe high speed when switched off, ie she cannot switch the wipers off.

Any ideas ?
My research so far seems to point at the column switch as the most likely culprit but this does seem odd on such a new car. It is not a cheap job to replace the switch so am reluctant to do so unless I can have confidence that is where the fault lies.

The fault is present most of the time, but sometimes the wipers do stay off.
Predictably, I have booked it into a garage twice for diagnosis, and on both occasions everything was working as it should with no fault.

Does anyone know if there is a known common fault that could cause this?

Thanks in advance for any reples.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: 6c wipers won't turn off

Post by iichel »

I think I read about this once before, and it turned out to be a defective column switch.
Daversmth
New

Post by Daversmth »

Thanks for the reply.

I think I have to replace the switch, unless anyone has other input?

It is £105 for the part.
The wiper and indicator switches are all one module that fit around the steering column.
Can get one from £20 upwards off a scrap car but not sure I want to risk it.

Total bill with fitting £275 from a main dealer.

I may buy a new switch at £105 and get my friendly local garage to fit it.

But still fail to understand how the switch could fail after so little use.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm I think I read about this once before, and it turned out to be a defective column switch.
I thought that as well, maybe even on this forum?

Maybe a job for Google if using the search function on this forum does not find anything.

For me it might also have been on a Skoda Fabia forum or a SEAT Ibiza forum as they are roughly all the same.

That happened to me once with my old VW Passat, it forced me to stop at the side of the road as it was summer and no rain and hot, after switching the engine off, then back on things worked okay, later I scanned it and there were no logged faults, that never ever happened to me again over the next maybe 6 years I owned that car.
iichel

Post by iichel »

RUM4MO wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:51 pm
iichel wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:04 pm I think I read about this once before, and it turned out to be a defective column switch.
I thought that as well, maybe even on this forum?

Maybe a job for Google if using the search function on this forum does not find anything.

For me it might also have been on a Skoda Fabia forum or a SEAT Ibiza forum as they are roughly all the same.

That happened to me once with my old VW Passat, it forced me to stop at the side of the road as it was summer and no rain and hot, after switching the engine off, then back on things worked okay, later I scanned it and there were no logged faults, that never ever happened to me again over the next maybe 6 years I owned that car.
Here you go sir!
https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=70742
Daversmth
New

Post by Daversmth »

So, I have now bought a new switch assembly and it is being fitted on Thursday.
I believe that the assembly also includes various relays embedded in it.
Will let you know if this cures the problem.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

A friend had this problem, it was resolved by carefully cleaning the windscreen around the rain sensor area.
Daversmth
New

Post by Daversmth »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm A friend had this problem, it was resolved by carefully cleaning the windscreen around the rain sensor area.
Thanks for that.
Where is the rain sensor located ?
Would it be on the rear of the mirror?
I am fairly sure that she does not have a rain sensor on hers.
Daversmth
New

Post by Daversmth »

Just to close the thread ....

I took the car to a main dealer and the diagnostics code showed a fault with the switch. Now been replaced. Charged 1 hours labour plus cost of part £219 total.
iichel

Post by iichel »

was there any chance on warranty or goodwill? such a switch should last a lifetime, not 4 years (maximum, polo 6C was still sold as late as early 2018)
Daversmth
New

Post by Daversmth »

iichel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 pm was there any chance on warranty or goodwill? such a switch should last a lifetime, not 4 years (maximum, polo 6C was still sold as late as early 2018)
The car is 3 and a half years old and less than 10,000 miles so very annoying the fault should occur for sure
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:10 pm was there any chance on warranty or goodwill? such a switch should last a lifetime, not 4 years (maximum, polo 6C was still sold as late as early 2018)
As quoted, 3.5 years and 10K miles, not good enough, I'd think that VW would have given in to "goodwill" as they would not expect this to happen so early in a car's life.

Mind you, my wife's Ford Fiesta 1.6Si with the Zetec engine,back in 1995/6, when it was just over a year old, had a switch assembly failure, the dealer's warranty officer said "no" so I accepted that, 11 months later when the next switch assembly failed I got angry and wrote directly to Ford UK with scanned pictures of the 2 boxes the new switches had come in along with copies of the bills of sale for the switches, added to that some old quotes like "bits of tin and bits of board put together makes a Ford" along with "FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily" - they sent me a cheque covering the cost of both switches with a pleasant covering letter saying sorry! I think that they improved that switch assembly which covered all functions as that was the last time that switch failed - oh,and the failure really quite dangerous, when it failed, no rear lights came on with the main light switch, to the driver the clue was no instrument panel lighting, the headlights worked okay though! First time it happened my wife was stopped by someone that told her to put her lights on - they were on and he could see that the headlights were on.
Bertieb1983
New
Drives: 1.4tdi

Post by Bertieb1983 »

Push and hold the power button on the radio until it resets. It worked for me