Hello all, potential new polo owner here

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
leew1988
New
Drives: None just yet

Hello all, potential new polo owner here

Post by leew1988 »

Hi all
My names Lee and I am awaiting the delivery of a 2014 (64 plate) Polo BlueGT at a local garage for me to look at and potentially buy in the next few days, I am very excited but I want to do as much digging and pecking of heads to find out everything I should before I make the commitment to buy rather than later!

I want to tell you why so you can understand my worry,

10 months ago I bought the 2009 twin charged Golf GT TSI 1.4 and have had problem after problem, learning afterwards it actually has a very bad reputation, bad engine and many advise against it.
I was asking for recommendations and the Polo came up, as long as I went for a 2014+ model with the "newer and better" TSI engines in? Apparently these do not encounter the same problems as the TSI engine in my golf, can anyone confirm if this is true or are they very much the same?

What I basically want to know is, would you recommend the Polo BlueGT, in particular a 64 plate.

Are there are known common problems?

This car has done 45k miles too, Anything for me to look out for when inspecting?

Just please share anything worth knowing to help me make my decision on this vehicle, I dont want to make another mistake and have regrets

Many thanks

Lee
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Re: Hello all, potential new polo owner here

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum.
I’ve got a 14 plate BGT and I think I’m around 53k in so far and it’s been a fantastic car. I’ve done well over a thousand miles in 1 week and loved every mile. I’ve had one problem which was under warranty and that was the rear windscreen washer feed which kept setting the alarm and central locking off but touch wood has been amazing so far.
But it and enjoy!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The 1.4 TSI COD/ACT engine is a very good engine indeed.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Something has just occured to me, as Im sure most people do when buying a car..... you look at all scenarios and wonder why the seller decided to get rid of it..... With it being 4 years old and at 45k miles, if it hasnt already, this will be due a cambelt change wont it? A job that isnt exactly pennies for me to do almost immediately after purchasing..... so if thats the case, they can do it for me or knock the price down a little
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

These early 1.4TSI Twincharger engines sounded like being a lot of fun potentially, pity VW Group failed to carry out preproduction life cycle testing, or if they did, someone faked the results, international trading standards pgroups should have made VW Group recall and replace all the cars that these engines were fitted into along with the duff 2.0TFSI engines and possibly the 1.8TFSI engines, it should be illegal for companies to place into the market place duff products and keep manufacturing them, well it will be but slippery big companies with few moral responsibilities don’t bother about that - do they?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

leew1988 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:11 pm Something has just occured to me, as Im sure most people do when buying a car..... you look at all scenarios and wonder why the seller decided to get rid of it..... With it being 4 years old and at 45k miles, if it hasnt already, this will be due a cambelt change wont it? A job that isnt exactly pennies for me to do almost immediately after purchasing..... so if thats the case, they can do it for me or knock the price down a little
I not sure that I completely agree with you there, if that was true cars on the used market would only be worth the same as white goods second hand, ie little more than scrap value.

It does seem that “end of car loan” period prompts a change of car likewise end of lease term, so I’d trust most cars that appear for sale second hand could have another 10 years of useful life left in them.

Edit:- most owners of cars with cam belts will end up paying for a belt change while they own it, especially when buying second hand, so you would either pay for that after a year, or a few years more if the original owner replaced it, belts now on 5 year change period or high mileage.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Are you saying the 1.4 tsi engines were bad in my golf or are you saying they are bad in the polo bgt ?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Polo BGT does not have a twincharger engine so okay/good!
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

I bought a stereo for my golf, its a android touch screen with dvd player and everything, can use any android sat nav I want etc its really good. Would this fit in the 64 plate Polo?
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

The car has arrived at the garage!

Image Image
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

leew1988 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:09 pm The car has arrived at the garage!
Looks good and Blue Silk is best colour, although I am biased!

I like the non-VW wheels - quite a simple design and easier to clean than the standard Montani design alloys, and I’m a big fan of anthracite coloured alloys 👍.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Thanks! I really like it too, the garage have told me they will refurb the alloys as they are quite scruffed and definitely needs the front bumper resprayed as abit of paint is peeling

Havent even opened the door to look inside yet let alone drive it so cant comment
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Ensure you’re 100% happy with it and don’t buy on impulse. I’d say the important thing when looking at a car you’re thinking of buying is not to let your heart rule your head. Make sure either the garage or you get an HPI check, and check it over carefully to ensure there are no signs of damage (parking dings, scuffs or dents), bodywork repairs, the paintwork is the same colour, shade and finish over the whole car and all the panel gaps are uniform and even in size. Also check the interior for scuffs and any damage to the seat upholstery and carpets. As it’s being sold by a garage (Subaru dealer?), presumably it’ll have a mechanical/electrical warranty and be serviced and MOT’d by the dealer if you decide to buy it.

It’s also worth taking someone with you when looking at a used car, as they can give an impartial view. A few years ago, I went with a friend to look at a used car that they’d set their heart on buying, based on the photo and the ad details they’d seen on the internet. When we got there, he was smitten by it, but I could see the paintwork finish on the driver’s door was slightly different to the rest of the car, and the panel had a slightly rippled effect, which was evidence it had been damaged and not particularly well repaired. He didn’t notice this, because all he could see was the car he wanted!

Good luck, hope it meets with your expectations 🙂. If for some reason it doesn’t, there are plenty of others out there to choose from.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Thank you, good advice will bring my dad and tell him this to look out for what you said
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

I just bought RAC Car Passport (HPI Check), it looks ok

Told me 10 things that can go wrong with it, abit worrying lol

Battery

Symptoms include: engine won’t / is slow to turn over, clicking noise when ignition turned to start position, dim / no lights on instrument panel, corrosion around battery terminals

TIP: If engine won’t turn over properly ask to jump start & test the battery
2. Ignition system (petrol engine vehicles)

Symptoms include: non start, difficult to start, uneven idling / running, misfire, loss of power

TIP: Check engine idles evenly. During a road test, drive at a constant speed & feel for any unevenness /lack of power, misfiring
3. Braking system

Symptoms include: low brake fluid level, excessively hard /spongy brake pedal, parking brake not holding, car pulls to one side / judders when braking

TIP: Be aware of vibrations from brake pedal / steering wheel when braking. Ask a qualified mechanic to check any brake concerns
4. Electrical systems

Symptoms include: Electrical functions not working correctly

TIP: Check all electrical functions operate including wipers, washers, horn, electric windows, sunroof, audio system, seat controls etc. Check any switch operated boot or fuel filler flap release
5. Engine Management System

Symptoms include: engine warning light on after engine start up, lack of power or uneven running

TIP: Check all engine warning lamps switch on & then immediately off after starting the engine / while driving. If they do, ask a qualified mechanic to run further diagnostics
6. Transmission system

Symptoms include: excessive noise, difficulty selecting gears, knocking noise on cornering, oil leaks from transmission unit or difficult gear selection

TIP: Check for smooth gear changes, listen out for unusual / ‘whining’ sounds from the transmission. Ask a qualified mechanic to check concerns with Auto gearboxes
7. Body

Symptoms include: bonnet / boot won’t open / close properly, door locks not working properly, panel damage

TIP: Check paint shading on different panels & any odd gaps between panels – these may indicate an accident repair/re-spray
8. Clutch system

Symptoms include: clutch slippage / lack of power, difficult gear selection, car judders when pulling away, abnormal noise or stiff pedal

TIP: Check the biting point is midway on the pedal. Unusual smells could indicate a slipping clutch, stiff pedal may indicate a cable fault
9. Lighting systems

Symptoms include: light(s) not working / intermittent, including main & dipped beams, side & tail lights, indicators, hazards, brake, reverse rear number plate & fog lights

TIP: Check all lights are working correctly & none are dimly lit, check for damaged lenses / fittings
10. Alternator

Symptoms include: a discharged battery, ignition warning light on / dim with engine running

TIP: Check that the battery/ignition warning light goes out after starting the engine, check alternator drive belt where possible