Hello all, potential new polo owner here

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Re: Hello all, potential new polo owner here

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I think I could of thought of ten things for any car that could wrong. That list could of been summed up easier by saying that there is a possibility that ANYTHING can go wrong with ANY car lol.
As long as on the extended test drive you give it a good going over and drive through a few different scenarios etc you should be fine.
leew1988
New
Drives: None just yet

Post by leew1988 »

fair point
rbz5416
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Post by rbz5416 »

leew1988 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:01 am Thanks! I really like it too, the garage have told me they will refurb the alloys as they are quite scuffed and definitely needs the front bumper resprayed as abit of paint is peeling
Check what they mean by refurbing the alloys. A proper refurb or just touching up?

Personally I'd be very wary of paint peeling on a four year old car. Suggests a possible bodged repair to me.

Is it manual or DSG?
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

It is manual
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Left front bumper you can see where its peeled, only a small circle ish
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

Looks to be missing the GT badge from the front grille.

Could be nothing, or could suggest a previous potential front-end collision - especially when combined with the peeling paintwork on the front bumper.

May be entirely innocent, but I’m a cynic when it comes to used cars! As others have suggested, a full HPI check would be wise, and there are always other BlueGTs out there.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

I have done a paid for HPI check with RAC Car Passport, its all clear
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

The tax is also out of sync with the registration. Registered in October yet the tax expired in May. That doesn't even tally with a 6 month purchase so suggests to me that it's spent some time off the road. Bearing in mind tax is only £20 pa there'd have to be a good reason not to renew it on time.
Together with non-standard wheels, missing badge, flaking paint it all adds up to walk away for me.
Last edited by rbz5416 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

leew1988 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:14 pm I have done a paid for HPI check with RAC Car Passport, its all clear
Apologies, must have missed that on the previous page.

However, I’d still be wary. As noted above there’s quite a few little things that would niggle at me. Have you looked at any other BlueGTs at all?
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

I know the explanation for its recent tax expiry, the garage im getting it from have about 50 cars on their front pitch but I didnt like any of them, they told me they have about 800 cars in yards/alotments just collecting dust, which are all databased on their computer, thats where I found the BGT.

Was probably part exchanged from a previous owner and just been sat there waiting to be processed into their sales/website/auction etc, so that will be why its been off the road the last few months. Possibly same scenario from original owner too.

I have looked at other BGT's on autotrader and ebay but this one seems fairly decent and with it being from a local garage, 1 it is much easier for me to get to as well as part with my current car as we will essentially be doing a swap when the BGT is ready, convenience and 2 it gives me more peace of mind if anything does go wrong with it, I have somewhere very local to go to and plus its coming with 3 years rac platinum warranty that covers all mechanical and electrical problems.
It has to go through RAC Inspection, will be serviced and a 12 months MOT before they are allowed to pass it over to me as well as its an RAC approved garage.

Ideally the car will be trouble free because how I explained it will be much more ideal for me to buy from here, only last bothersome things I want to bring up are its MOT history where it failed on a few items, I want to know are these typical wear and tear issues that come up every so often and once fixed they are fixed, or are these issues the type of issues that once you get them they are going to haunt you or have further underlying problems? ( I dont really know what the issues mean exactly )

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front Tyre has ply or cords exposed (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous
Nearside Rear Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
Offside Rear Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (4.1.D.1f)
Advisory notice item(s)
Offside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)

That is the only negative thing I can see with any of its history
rbz5416
Getting There!

Post by rbz5416 »

My best guess from the info to date is it's maybe a finance repossession. That may explain why it still has the private plate & why it was being driven on dangerously worn tyres.

Not fitted correctly presumably means that the tyres are directional. So they've either actually been fitted incorrectly or both rear wheels have been off the car at the same time & put back on the wrong side. I'm struggling to understand why an owner would spend on new alloys but not on tyres, unless they hit hard times & couldn't afford to maintain it. Have you seen the service record & is it complete?

Not sure how the missing GT badge attaches so I guess it may have simply been stolen, but I still have reservations over the flaking paint. It's six months older than my SEL & I certainly have no signs of anything like that & I doubt anyone else's here does.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve seen a few instances of owners experiencing flaking paint on bumpers on various VW forums. Usually, it is because the bumpers have been repainted or partially repainted for whatever reason, and the surface hasn’t been correctly prepared prior to being repainted. Subsequent over-enthusiastic use of a pressure washer can then result in the lacquer top coat lifting off the base coat. It could be that the previous owner suffered some minor damage such as a parking scrape or scuff, so had a localised smart repair carried out on the damaged area by a smart repair company such as Chips Away.

The OP has said that the car will be subject to an RAC inspection, so hopefully this would identify whether or not the car has evidence of more serious damage. If so, then the OP will have the opportunity to walk away and look for an alternative car. There are plenty out there, so it’s just a case of being patient and waiting for the right one to turn up.

Agree on the tyres; they’re probably directional and have been fitted the wrong way round. It does also sound as if the previous owner had fallen on hard times, based on the general condition of the tyres, so agree that checking the service record to ensure its complete is a no brainer and essential.

As well as the ‘GT’ badge missing from the front grille, it looks as if the ‘Polo’ badge is also missing off the tailgate (it would be on the bottom left hand side), so maybe the previous owner liked the debadged / partial debadged look and deliberately removed them.
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

I agree I think it is also from a owner who didnt like the badges, I didnt even notice it was meant to have Polo badge on back and wear missing it... not too bothered about that one but I am abit gutted it doesnt have the front GT badge, I wanted that on it, they are £16.99 on ebay so I will end up buying one, looked like they just clip in
leew1988
New

Post by leew1988 »

Just been to have a proper look,

It does have full service history. The paint on the front is 100% from a little bump.

As a whole I think the car seems OK, but as for BlueGT's in general... Now I have properly seen one inside and out, I am not impressed as I thought I would be. I like it but I dont love it. Feel undecided now