Weird Ticking When Starting

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Weird Ticking When Starting

Post by Black6c »

Hi, I noticed that sometimes when I start my car a weird ticking sometimes occurs. It doesn't happen all the time and I'm concerned it's something serious, any idea what it is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzMwCl ... e=youtu.be
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Weird Ticking When Starting

Post by RUM4MO »

If you are meaning the rough ticking that lasts a couple of seconds, then that is a lack of oil pressure at initial engine start, that will happen, only way to avoid that would be to have an electric oil pump to pressurise the oil system prior to engine start.
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

Thanks you for helping!
swintonion
New
Drives: Moda

Post by swintonion »

I have this too. Also the oil lamp flashes red then beeps three times. Is this a very serious and costly experience.Car is 11 plate.
Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

swintonion wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:12 pm I have this too. Also the oil lamp flashes red then beeps three times. Is this a very serious and costly experience.Car is 11 plate.
Thanks
In your case, I think that you should get that car checked over as the low oil pressure warnings are suppressed for a few seconds - so it sounds like the oil pressure on your engine is staying too low for too long.

Just one question, which engine is in your car and who has carried out the last service as it could be that an old oil filter seal has been left in the oil filter housing area and that is what the problem is, this is a well known problem with certain engine designs from VW Group, or at least a single engine family design it seems.