Weird ticking noise on startup - POLO 2013 TSI 1.2 105HP

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
moshiaiz
New
Drives: 6R

Re: Weird ticking noise on startup - POLO 2013 TSI 1.2 105HP

Post by moshiaiz »

Thanks for you help :) really appreciated.

So i'll try replacing just the tensioner (with the latest one 03F109507F)?
Do you know maybe a website I could order it that ships worldwide?

I hope that will put an end to this annoying noise :)
Thanks!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

I suggest you to place the order in an official VW parts shop, so you can be 100% sure to obtain the latest revision.
moshiaiz
New
Drives: 6R

Post by moshiaiz »

Hi,

I ended up getting the newest chain kit: 03F198158B, which includes the latest tensioner as well.
Unfortunately, the noise remains the same on cold starts. Especially on hot days, like the last video I've shared here.
Local mechanic told me I shouldn't be worried now that we know it's not the chain, and also said it might be related to low oil pressure after the car has been standing for a few hours.

Any advice? :(
Thanks.
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

Good to see some Israelis here, ma shlomcha?
I have a 16v tsi 110 bhp and I also experience this tick on cold starts and learned that it’s normal and quite common among those engines (I hear plenty of Fabia’s starting and make the exact same noise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Remember that there is no drive chain on these 1.2TSI 16V engines, so another part causing that problem, although there will be tensioners on both belts.
mustykj
New
Drives: 2013 R-Line 1.2 TSI

Post by mustykj »

I've just had my 60,000 mile service and had this rattle on start up for the past 6 months. After the service it seems to be alot more noticeable and the bloke mentioned it was something to do with the hydraulic tensioner and timing chain. But it sounds like you've replaced the tensioner and chain and it hasn't fixed your issue?
mustykj
New
Drives: 2013 R-Line 1.2 TSI

Post by mustykj »

Took my car back to the garage that did my service. Ever since the service the timing chain had been making a noisy rattling noise when starting up from cold. The low oil pressure light has been coming on, around 7 mins into any journey and tends to stay on. I replaced the sensor and this didn't fix the issue. I took it back to the garage, they put another new oil filter on it (it had only just had one at the service) and on removing it, he found two seals, one from the old oil filter that hadn't been removed properly. This was causing the oil pressure sensor to get faulty readings, since this fix the timing chain isn't noisy on start up.
Hopefully this will be useful for someone who may be thinking of getting a timing chain replaced (I was quoted £800 for this work - good job i didn't get it done)
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

Common issue. It happened to my car as well. My mechainc didn't notice the old oil filter lost one of his seals into the oil filter support and installed the new oil filter on it.
Oil pressure's light suddenly came on and the timing chain became noisy.
As soon as the old oil filter seal was removed, the problem of oil pressure and timing chain noise disappeared and never came back.

It's also very important to not over tighten the new oil filter, because inside it has a non-return valve which opens itself when the spring of the filter is compressed. So, if the filter is over tightened, this valve gets stuck in half-open or in completely open position, causing the filter to empty of oil in a very little time after the engine is stopped. And this has the consequence to make the timing chain noisy, because the tensioner doesn't have enough oil pressure at cold start, since it needs to wait for the oil filter to fill up inside.
IMHO the best thing to do is to hand tighten the new oil filter.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Over the years there has been a lot of chat about this problem of "old O-ring seal left in when replacing the oil filter" on these VW Group motoring forums, really not a good idea design wise. The return/non return valve plate idea was for, I think, the vertically mounted, or near vertically mounted oil filter applications, so that when you had to replace the oil filter, you slackened it off a couple of turns maybe before removing the sump plug, that meant that when you then went to remove the old filter, most of the oil had drained out of it and so very little or no messy oil ran out of it when you took the filter away from the car.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Happened to mine when I did the service a couple of weeks back. Thankfully I'd already seen it mentioned here so was looking for it, so simply lifted the old seal out. It is a poor design, you would have thought wouldn't been beyond the design engineers to come up with something to ensure the seal stays attached to the filter body. I was surprised how little oil got spilled though, but I did leave mine to stand for a good 30 mins to drain down once I'd removed the sump plug and filler cap.