Speaker Upgrades

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Speaker Upgrades

Post by Willni »

Having recently upgraded the speakers in my mk5 golf (it was worse that the polo now league better) , I have come to the realisation the polo also needs upgraded as it's the daily, and I can't stand the hollow music anymore.

So I was wondering what people have done for speakers and or tweeters? currently considering either Alpine S-S65 6.5" 2 way's, Focal 165AC 2 ways or Rainbow Dream Line DL-C4.2 component (separate tweeter). Obviously the rainbow would be best due to having a separate tweeter but mounting it seems like it may be a hassle, I'd be aiming for the plastic cover on the inside that covers the wing mirror bolts but would there be enough space to house the tweeter? But the Alpine and Focal and an integrated tweeter the quality of which I don't know.

I'll be sticking with my RNS315 headunit, as it's rated up to 300watt anyway, and I've already sound deadened the car which improve the sound by about 20-25% as it cut out a lot of road noise.

Could anyone help me with advice on what's the best way to go forward?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Speaker Upgrades

Post by Dink »

I definitely wouldn't go with co-axial speakers in the doors.

It would sound terrible having the tweeters that low.

Do you not have tweeters in the a pillars already?

The rns 315 head unit will have an output of about 4x20w (about the limit for a head unit on a 12v system)

They do custom fit speakers for the golf 6 that I'm 99%sure fit the 6c polo so I'd guess they will fit the 6r aswell but don't hold me to it.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Dink wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:56 am I definitely wouldn't go with co-axial speakers in the doors.

It would sound terrible having the tweeters that low.

Do you not have tweeters in the a pillars already?

The rns 315 head unit will have an output of about 4x20w (about the limit for a head unit on a 12v system)

They do custom fit speakers for the golf 6 that I'm 99%sure fit the 6c polo so I'd guess they will fit the 6r aswell but don't hold me to it.
I agree that having them down low isn't ideal but wouldn't say they'd sound awful, but you wouldn't hear the tweeter as much. I do have tweeters in the pillers already but it seems like space would be a more limiting factor there vs the wing mirror mounting point.

The mk6 has the same speakers as the polo, a coaxial sub and mid in the bottom of the door and a tweeter up top, but it's only really custom tweeters made into the wingmirror housing with is different to the polos unfortunately.

Edit

You might be right about the mk6 custom speaker, I held up a mk6 mirror housing inner plastic and seems right need to take the door card off to see.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

The custom mk6 speakers are a direct fit in the oem position.

The a pillar is quite a good place to fit them tbh.

Trust me the tweeters that low will sound terrible (worse than stock)

The tweeters produce the noise that your hearing picks up on for staging. So it will sound like the music is coming from the side of your shins lol

That's why there are head units with time delay and stuff built into them to try get the left and right sounds reach the drives ears at the same time
Attachments
This was me trying to fit a ktp-445 amp to the oem head unit
This was me trying to fit a ktp-445 amp to the oem head unit
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

The mk6 custom speakers aren't a direct fit only the mid/woofer are the same as they're 6.5inch the tweeter isn't due to where the tweeter is placed and the tweeter housing is too short.

The A piller would be a great place for the tweeter it's got a great angle for it, but I took the trim off there and it does seem very snug behind it. Below is pretty much what I'd like the tweeter in the mirror cap to look like except a good speaker.

As the for coaxial down low, I wouldn't actually be removing the OEM ones just leave them in essentially just attacking more tweeters, which really sounds like a more = better plan, I know it's not though.

What was the extent of your audio upgrade to the polo if you don't mind me asking? and was the Amp hard to add?
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

I'm pretty sure they are a direct fit as the tweeters look quite slim front to back and are shaped to match the oem ones.

I was looking at the rainbow il-c6.2 to replace the fronts with the amp wired in driving them (the amp is 4x45w)

Then I might of changed the rears to some co-ax speakers with an adjustable tweeter volume so could knock it back a bit as to not confuse the sound stage.

I think just fitting some mid-bass speakers to the front doors with oem tweeters would be better than fitting co-ax speakers.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Dink wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:41 pm I'm pretty sure they are a direct fit as the tweeters look quite slim front to back and are shaped to match the oem ones.

I was looking at the rainbow il-c6.2 to replace the fronts with the amp wired in driving them (the amp is 4x45w)

Then I might of changed the rears to some co-ax speakers with an adjustable tweeter volume so could knock it back a bit as to not confuse the sound stage.

I think just fitting some mid-bass speakers to the front doors with oem tweeters would be better than fitting co-ax speakers.
Ah we're talking about two different mk6 golf kits, focal build their tweeters into oem housings for high quality.

The rainbow il-c6.2 definitely seems like a great upgrade for cost, although having upgraded rear tweeters and rear two-ways before, rear tweeters had made no difference to my cars audio but the upgraded rears made a massive difference.

I think you're right though a component system will be far better than a coaxial
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Ended up buying the Rainbow IL 3-comp for my golf and 2 comp for the rear of it and Germanium crossovers, so I'll be putting the old Dynaudio speakers from it into the Polo as a straight fit, except the tweeters as expected though.
eki912
New
Drives: 1.6 tdi, 2013, dsg

Post by eki912 »

Newbie here, sorry if this has been asked before.
My wife has -13 diesel powered Polo, which I use regularly too.

As I have a used Focal 2-way set already collecting dust in my garage, naturally I started thinking of mounting those in Her Polo...

The picture above here, where the tweeter is mounted to the black plastic piece on the front corner of door, opposite door mirror is really interesting. Especially as the tweeters in this Focal set are already mounted in angled surfacemounted pieces.
Would surely be better than the stock set up is.
But, how do those plastic corner pieces come off ? Don’t want to break them...

I also read somewhere that I do need to get the special plasticrings to mount the speakers to original positions.

Edit : Sorry my brain is a bit slow today... Also meant to ask how easy ( or difficult ) it is to fit some sound dampening panels
( like the selfsticking STP ) inside the doors ? As I also have those STP products readily available from another project.
Or better still if someone has a link to sound dampening project on an a Polo ?
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

eki912 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:08 am Newbie here, sorry if this has been asked before.
My wife has -13 diesel powered Polo, which I use regularly too.

As I have a used Focal 2-way set already collecting dust in my garage, naturally I started thinking of mounting those in Her Polo...

The picture above here, where the tweeter is mounted to the black plastic piece on the front corner of door, opposite door mirror is really interesting. Especially as the tweeters in this Focal set are already mounted in angled surfacemounted pieces.
Would surely be better than the stock set up is.
But, how do those plastic corner pieces come off ? Don’t want to break them...

I also read somewhere that I do need to get the special plasticrings to mount the speakers to original positions.

Edit : Sorry my brain is a bit slow today... Also meant to ask how easy ( or difficult ) it is to fit some sound dampening panels
( like the selfsticking STP ) inside the doors ? As I also have those STP products readily available from another project.
Or better still if someone has a link to sound dampening project on an a Polo ?
You've clearly done speaker and sound damping before, so you'll find this very easy :D Polo's are very easy to work on. For the tweeters I'd recommend just getting a a pair of the pillar trims off ebay ( £30 each after a quick ebay search ), so you can do it properly and cut them and still have your originals.

For sound deadening I went with Dynamat in the boot spare wheel well, and behind the doorcards and some open cell foam egg box foam on the glued doorcard (just the general spray adhesive) It's extremely quiet now I didn't bother doing the rear as mines 3 door. Highly recommend.
eki912
New
Drives: 1.6 tdi, 2013, dsg

Post by eki912 »

Yes, I am not new to this subject...it is a habit that I can’t seem to stop ! :mrgreen:

Always tinkering and improving.

Actually did look on Youtube how to remove the door cards already. Not rocket science.
But just a bit concerned as there didn’t seem to be too many or large openings, to be able to put the dampening inside the door, to the outer skin.
Did you put the material inside the door itself, or did you mount it to the inside skin of door ?
Or just to the door cards ?