Kenwood Navigation System for Composition Media GVN-MIB1

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Kenwood Navigation System for Composition Media GVN-MIB1

Post by veteran »

Anyone here bought and fitted this device (VW p/no. ZGB5G0051259), as I've been contemplating buying one for my 2017 Polo 1.2 TSI 6C? If so, how's it turned out? Was it worth the £600 investment? Retrospectively, I'm wanting sat-nav, but without all the hassle involved with portable devices that have to sit on the dash.

Introduced just a couple of years ago, this kit is designed as a retrofit to the basic Composition Media (CM) infotainment system in various VW's. As the name suggests, it's made by Kenwood, using Garvin maps apparently, and is fully approved by VW. It's reckoned to be plug n' play, with no re-coding of the vehicle required. Apparently, the two boxes concerned, plus antennae, can be concealed behind the existing Composition Media display unit or underneath the glovebox (though in the latter situ I've reservations about cable adapter lengths, etc). I gather that the existing media player HU, at the back of the glovebox, stays in use and in place.

My CM unit has p/no. 3Q0035842B, hardware H30, software 0363, and appears to be compatible.

I've found there are videos about it on YouTube, eg. from Advanced In-Car Technologies, UK, and it seems it's a fairly straightforward DIY fit, if that's your bag (which it would be, in my case).

I'd like to know how the upgrade pans out in practise and whether there are inescapeable subscriptions to pay to Kenwood or Garvin, and/or map update fees to pay. Also, whether any sort of licence is required for the TMC component. I'm a newbie to all this sat-nav malarky.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Kenwood Navigation System for Composition Media GVN-MIB1

Post by Dink »

have you thought about the app connect route?

it gives you access to the maps/nav on your phone controlled via the in car screen
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Yes, but it's not the sort of thing I want at all, as:

1. I don't need/want App Connect in its entirety.
2. I don't possess a mobile phone and don't want to especially buy one just for this.

This Kenwood GVN-MIB1 was introduced to fill the gap left by VW discontinuing the prior means to add sat-nav.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

think there is also another route to get nav.

you can buy an sd card from vw and stick it in the existing unit as they have nav built in anyway.

i'm sure it's cheaper than the kenwood upgrade

scratch that seems it was the kenwood upgrade someone had