Boost guage

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
GavinNicholson
New
Drives: 6c gti

Boost guage

Post by GavinNicholson »

Has anyone got a boost guage if so what type id like one that is on the air vent like the mk7 golfs are the airvents for the golf tge same as the polo
Attachments
download-3.jpg
download-3.jpg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Re: Boost guage

Post by cheba »

Air vents are not the same for Golf and Polo (though the mk6 Golf have a similar design to the Polo 6R 6C).

There are not many model-specific options for the Polo. I have not seen any digital ones. You can however get holders for the driver's side air vent for a 52mm gauge for the Polo:

LHD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Polo-6R-52m ... SwPK1ZQuXe
RHD: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Polo-6R-UK- ... Sw-ldZX9rR

I bought one of those holders for mine, together with a NewSouth Performance boost gauge. However pulling a boost line through the firewall on the 6R is a pain, at least on the LHD (unless you feel comfortable with drilling a new hole through the firewall). That's why I still haven't managed to install it.
GavinNicholson
New
Drives: 6c gti

Post by GavinNicholson »

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the links this has helped me out alot 👍🏽
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

Keep in mind though that the holders I linked aren't perfect. You'll probably want to do some finishing work yourself (I did sandpaper mine to smooth it out in some spots), and in order to make it match the factory vents you will have to spray paint it semi-matt black. Also the profile of the grate is flat, not slightly convex like the frame around the vent (not a big issue really). Also the circular part holding the gauge is angled so that you will probably keep the vent angled in the lowest possible position in order for the gauge to be aligned with your face. It does its job, but aesthetically it is far from a perfect design.

If using a mechanical boost gauge with a boost line running all the way to the gauge, you may have to drill/cut a hole in the duct behind the gauge in order to feed the boost line through.
raghav.rithvik
New
Drives: Polo 6r 1.2 TSI DSG

Post by raghav.rithvik »

I've got both, a DEFI boost gauge and a P3 gauges vent gauge installed on my 1.2 TSI.

The DEFI has its own sensor that you install in the engine bay and use a boost tap to plumb it. If you have a Forge Motorsports BOV, you could just T off its hose.

The P3 vent gauge comes in 2 models, a boost gauge and an OBD must gauge. If you buy the boost gauge, you get a similar boost sensor that you plumb like the definition. If you go for the OBD multi gauge, you can use both a sensor or without it. The multi gauge shows you the boost that the ECU sees. It also is capable of Coolant Temp, Intake Air Temp, Exhaust Gas Temp, Throttle position, Vehicle Speed, RPM, Shift-light, Battery voltage, 0-60 timer and AFR.

Installing the vent gauge on the Polo is a complex task. The vents on our car is removable as a whole unit but the fins on the front can't be removed individually like the golf.
FOR-VW-2014-POLO-Polo-chroming-dashboard-air-vents-Outlet-Piano-paint-cover-trim.jpg
FOR-VW-2014-POLO-Polo-chroming-dashboard-air-vents-Outlet-Piano-paint-cover-trim.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
SO,a bit of cutting, grinding using a dermal and you can install the MK6 gauge on the polo. Bear in mind that the display also has to be modifies a bit (cutting, trimming) since the MK6 vent is longer. But overall, totally worth it.

Attaching pic of my setup.
IMG_0193.JPG
https://youtu.be/BN7equbVPGg

P.S. If you have a piggyback chip tuner, you can reference your actual boost using the separate boost sensor and see the boost that the ECU sees using the OBD.
Attachments
FOR-VW-2014-POLO-Polo-chroming-dashboard-air-vents-Outlet-Piano-paint-cover-trim.jpg
FOR-VW-2014-POLO-Polo-chroming-dashboard-air-vents-Outlet-Piano-paint-cover-trim.jpg (26.47 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

For reference, this is how my install looks (I finished it today):

In the engine bay I used a boost tap odered from http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com/. Using that one, I didn't have to modify any existing parts, just add the adapter between the intake manifold and the hose for the crankcase ventilation. If I want to restore it to factory, I don't even need tools.