USB issue ? Mirrorlink

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
cailbrin
New
Drives: BlueGT

USB issue ? Mirrorlink

Post by cailbrin »

I have just had Mirrorlink installed in my 64 plate Blue GT.

I have checked with LG and my G6 comes with the correct Mirrorlink app.

The first time I plugged in my phone, it connected to the car via USB and Mirrorlink kicked in.

The connection only lasted for 20 - 30 seconds and then the car disconnected the USB link.

I got it to play an mp3 file via LG Mirror Drive and the quality of the payback was bobbins, and it quickly disconnected.

I have tried several USB cables, including the cable that came with the phone - all of which failed to connect or did connect and failed after 20 seconds.

One of the people at work plugged in their Samsung Galaxy S8, it connected first time but failed to maintain the connection.

Does anyone know of a way of testing the USB port ?

I am waiting for the VW garage that did the work to call me back, but I was hoping there was a way to identify the problem before I have to go back to the garage.

Any help would be much appreciated.
cailbrin
New

Re: USB issue ? Mirrorlink

Post by cailbrin »

As I thought the enigma that is the USB socket is proving to be too much for both Google and this forum.

I have invested in a top quality USB cable, as this seems to be the only part of the process I can change.

Failing that, it is back to VW for yet another fight over a defective part.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I appreciate your way of systematically excluding components.
I almost can't imagine the cable to be defective. Perhaps you could try inserting a simple USB stick into the USB socket and see if it's recognized and whether you're able to play any music from that.

If so, there would be the possibility of a confounding problem: unintentional incompatibility. The SW on your telephone and the SW on the headunit could be somehow now in sync and this could be your problem.
I am unfamiliar with the specifics of the MQB infotainment, perhaps there are ways of getting the software updated on the headunit?
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

It happily plays mp3 files off a USB stick.

I took a USB stick on the test drive to make sure it worked.

The head unit has just had the software updated.

If i plug in a USB cable, the Mirrorlink option in my switches from connnected to disconnected every few seconds.

Hopefully trying the new cable will rule out one element.

I have only had the car for 6 weeks, and if it needs to go back to VW, it will its 5th trip back to the garage.

Incredibly frustrating for a brand that is reputed to offer better than average build quality.
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

Sorry, should have said;

If i plug in a USB cable, the Mirrorlink option in phone my switches from connnected to disconnected every few seconds.

Waggling the cable mkes it switch even more.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

mirror link is terrible.

it has been superseded by android auto / car play so most apps have been updated to work with this a leave mirror link behind.

the only thing i could suggest is did you allow it to have full access to your phone when you first plugged it in?

this is why i have gone to the effort of upgrading the head unit to allow for the android auto upgrade
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

The phone was set to allow for data transfer.

I have tried it with all the options that LG offer for connection via USB - needless to say none of them worked.

I went for Mirrorlink as it was £200, as opposed to £600 for the sat nav upgrade or £1,000+ for a change of head unit.

The lack of information on the forums should have been a clue that Mirrorlink has very few admirers.

The new cable should be here today, if that fails, it is back for yet another argument with VW.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

cailbrin wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:54 am The phone was set to allow for data transfer.

I have tried it with all the options that LG offer for connection via USB - needless to say none of them worked.

I went for Mirrorlink as it was £200, as opposed to £600 for the sat nav upgrade or £1,000+ for a change of head unit.

The lack of information on the forums should have been a clue that Mirrorlink has very few admirers.

The new cable should be here today, if that fails, it is back for yet another argument with VW.
the unit can be changed for a lot less than £1,000 if you go second hand (i have done this myself and cost £200)

i now have the option for android auto (i specced mirror link from factory as android auto was not available at time of ordering)

with mirror link now on my samsung s8 i just get a black screen on both the phone and car screen
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

I was quoting VW prices

I was put off looking at a non VW solution, as I wasn't sure about compatability issues with the cars electronics.

Hands up, while I love cars, I have 10 thumbs when it comes to fetttling stuff.

I have had the car for around 6 weeks and it makes me smile every time I see it parked up or even better drive it.

However, 5 trips back to VW in 6 weeks makes me seriously doubt the reputation that VW has for trouble free motoring.

Fingers crossed that the new cable cracks the problem, or VW point out that I am an idiot using the interface incorrectly.

The £200 has been spent, time for the gods of fettling to step up and get the thing working 😁
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

I was quoting VW prices

I was put off looking at a non VW solution, as I wasn't sure about compatability issues with the cars electronics.

I have had the car for around 6 weeks and it makes me smile every time I see it parked up or even better drive it.

However, 5 trips back to VW in 6 weeks makes me seriously doubt the reputation that VW has for trouble free motoring.

Fingers crossed that the new cable cracks the problem, or VW point out that I am an idiot using the interface incorrectly.

The £200 has been spent, time for the gods of fettling to step up and get the thing working 😁
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

cailbrin wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:37 pm I was quoting VW prices

i was talking about a vw solution. i just changed the box in the glove box to a unit that can be upgraded to android auto.

if you paid as an after market upgrade through vw you might be in luck as you may have paid for all 3 but only have the function of 1.
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

"i was talking about a vw solution. i just changed the box in the glove box to a unit that can be upgraded to android auto."

Can you give me the part number or what to search for ?

Cheers
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

3q0035842b is the part number for a unit that will take app connect upgrade (also a revesing camera input)

the price has gone up slightly since i bought one. you just need the control box in the glove box and not the screen
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

Update

The USB cable has arrived, and I can now connect to Mirrorlink everytime I plug it in.

It still crashes after 20 second, so I guess it is a set up issue.

I can't see any config for Mirrorlink in the car setting menu, and the phone only allows you to allow Mirrorlink to connect automatically.

I have emailed Mirrorlink with the message that appears on the screen every time it disconnects - "Automatic Mirrorlink connection not available"

I will be heading back to VW next week.
cailbrin
New

Post by cailbrin »

VW are sending me a genuine USB cable.

If this fails, I am going to push them for a full refund.