Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
edelmy
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Blue Motion

VW Polo 2014 5F Unit/Module

Post by edelmy »

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can help.

Just last week took my Polo into VW as Infotainment screen was flashing blue and red saying it needs an emergency download/no update found. There was me thinking it just needs some sort of software update.

Following a diagnostic test VW say the 5F unit has failed and will cost a mere £2200 fitted!!! This is the CD player and computer chip that sends data to the touchscreen.

So I am now looking for a second hand one for obvious reasons. Where should I start? Can anyone advise what to do. How do I get the part number? I would assume it is on the device once I pull it out of the glove compartment, right?

Apologies if I have put this post in the wrong place...

Kind Regards
Ed
Last edited by edelmy on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: VW Polo 2014 5F Unit/Module

Post by Dink »

If it was me I would be kicking up a fuss as something like that should last the life of the car. (If the CD mechanism went wrong I could sort of understand that)

Find vw uk customer service number and ring them.

I'd be looking to have at least 80% of the cost to be covered.
edelmy
New

Post by edelmy »

Thanks.

I have a call scheduled from them tomorrow lunch time. It is out of warranty but only done 27,000 miles. I totally agree with you that this part should last the lifetime of the car.
edelmy
New

Post by edelmy »

VW reply.

There is no good will.

Cannot stand the attitude of main car dealerships sometimes!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

edelmy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am VW reply.

There is no good will.

Cannot stand the attitude of main car dealerships sometimes!
Maybe cut out dealing with the donkeys and head straight for VWUK, they can deal directly with VW and maybe authorise some that is less costly.

Always get the name of who you are dealing with and what their function is, and make notes, VW and other car makers should not be getting away with this, if more people attacked them in the correct manner, I think that they would start listening to customers, as well as that, tell all your contacts about this as this sort of thing reduces the chances of someone thinking about buying a car, buying a VW Group product, small people, ie individuals can influence big companies eventually. If you do not get anywhere with this approach, talk to one of the more respected newspapers about it, or in UK that terrible but maybe at times useful BBC program Watchdog, once they start to see trends of dissatisfaction with VW Group products, or just more dissatisfaction, they might just run a program on it, and that will do nothing for VW Group in UK, but VWUK the chance to win you back first.

Now if none of this works, start searching the internet for companies that will take your 5F module in and repair it, they probably exist, it is just being able to track them down.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

you can get the unit replaced for about £200 but that is not the point

the unit should not be failing after 4 years.

did you speak to vw uk or just the dealer? as the dealer will just fob you off saying they spoke to vw uk and they said no when in reality they just forgot

i upgraded my unit in my car with a second hand unit for £200 but it is a little bit of a faff (you will require a dealer visit unfortunately)
youngz
New
Drives: 1.2

Post by youngz »

Hi I have just been advised a similar thing with my 2014 Polo after media screen going blank and being quoted appx £2880 for VW to order part needed. Just wondering if you managed to sort yours back in 2018 and who by and how much. Many thanks
mickey
New
Drives: 2015 - 1.2tsi SE

Post by mickey »

The same thing has happened to mine on a 2015, took to main dealer and they have quoted me for a new unit, just wandering how you went on with yours, any advise would be welcome.
Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

One way out of this could be to buy a same aged and mobile type secondhand from a scrappy.

Once you swop units over, the replacement should work fully for very short time before it shuts down into a Protective mode, what you will find is that the audio signal is muted.

So, your next plan is to book it into a proper VW Group Indie - ie one that has all the dealership level kit and licences, they will be able to connect to VW Mothership and convert that secondhand unit back to a virgin unit and assign it officially to your car, the charge should only be a max of 0.5 hour labour.

Warning, if the secondhand unit you buy has been stolen then VW Mothership will alert the workshop you are using and refuse to convert it back into a virgin unit, but I would think that not very many of these units will be getting stolen and end up again on the open market, I did buy a secondhand DAB radio for my 2011 Audi S4 a few years ago to replace a non DAB radio, it was bought via ebay from a scrappy source and everything worked out okay - so there are some okay units out there, ie still working and not stolen, I had to take that into a proper VW Group Indie to get component protection removed etc, I emailed them first to see if they could do this and were willing to do this for me, they were very responded so okay, prior to that I emailed a "proper" VW Group Indie which was nearer me - and they did not bother replying, nice!
rbz5416
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Post by rbz5416 »

This guy supplies them. Not used him personally.

https://northeastvagadaptions.co.uk/

Another member recently recommended this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-2009 ... 4734012375
Jackiewow
New
Drives: TRoc

Post by Jackiewow »

Hi this has just happened to my Troc same quote from VW. Anyone get a fix? Mine is 2018 plate 29k!!
Jackiewow
New
Drives: TRoc

Post by Jackiewow »

Hi this has just happened to my Troc same quote from VW. Anyone get a fix? Mine is 2018 plate 29k!!