DSG issue gear and spanner flashing on dash

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dan6r
New
Drives: 2011 se

DSG issue gear and spanner flashing on dash

Post by Dan6r »

Hi all
Having issues with my car dsg not going through all the gears skipping to 2 to 4 to 6th and now the check engine light has come on anyone know why is it a possible tramission fluid low issue or something more major

My battery went flat on Monday so I had it jump started Tuesday car was fine Wednesday a weird clattering noise coming from the engine bay and then the gear display on the dash started flashing and skipping gears like a limp home mode, any suggestions will be great still waiting on VW to come back to me not willing to drive in case of causing damage

Many thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: DSG issue gear and spanner flashing on dash

Post by RUM4MO »

From bumping into/onto postings like this in the Skoda Fabia forums, it sounds like it is not good news, that car should probably have had a DSG oil change carried out a bit earlier in its life along with probably a DSG S/W update, can you confirm that that has been done. I think that VW Group are as usual being a bit sneaky about some workshop updates and it will only be owners that are still in the dealership service circuit that will get these updates if they hand the car in for service.

I hope that I'm wrong as it does sound like a Mechatronics(sp) issue - which in that DSG box is cooled by the oil.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm From bumping into/onto postings like this in the Skoda Fabia forums, it sounds like it is not good news, that car should probably have had a DSG oil change carried out a bit earlier in its life along with probably a DSG S/W update, can you confirm that that has been done. I think that VW Group are as usual being a bit sneaky about some workshop updates and it will only be owners that are still in the dealership service circuit that will get these updates if they hand the car in for service.

I hope that I'm wrong as it does sound like a Mechatronics(sp) issue - which in that DSG box is cooled by the oil.
the oil in the dsg box is a lifetime oil so there are no service times for it.

if you want to replace the hydraulic oil that changes the gears then you have to replace the mechatronics unit as well
FAYBAE
Getting There!
Drives: 6C POLO GT DSG

Post by FAYBAE »

That’s super wrong haha, I owned a DSG Passat and they required oil changes every 40k miles without fail, it’s the same for Audi with the Haldex systems, no auto gearbox should go without a oil and filter change period. Manual gearboxes however are life time oils, I’d still replace it regardless for price of mind.

If you haven’t kept to the servicing schedule of the gearbox then it may be void under warrentee if you’ve damaged it. 💰

I know some 7 speeds are dry boxes and never need oil changes but ddo the 6R come with the new 7 speed DSG?

Please click the link

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/ser ... ter-change
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

I think the golden rule is don’t even think about bump starting an automatic or DSG. Mechanical mayhem often ensues.

I hope your problem turns out to be minor.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Dink wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:21 pm
the oil in the dsg box is a lifetime oil so there are no service times for it.

if you want to replace the hydraulic oil that changes the gears then you have to replace the mechatronics unit as well
Dink, okay there is some truth in what you are saying, but the original oil probably needs replacing due to other issues, so maybe I used the wrong word there I should have written "replaced" not "changed" - or words that fit in with that action.

Remember this all started in hot/warm and very humid countries and was said that to affect any cars in there weather zones, they got it wrong, it did and moisture etc got in with the oil and that attacked/killed some of the electronics in the mechatronics - unless I've got it completely wrong, it was a change from synthetic oil to a mineral oil, which sounds a bit silly as synthetic oils are synthesised from broken down mineral oils maybe.

Edit:- remember there are a few variants of automated manual gearboxes in use within VW Group all coming under the name of DSG, so not a single gearbox design.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

The 7 speed dq200 in the polo doesn't need any more servicing than a bog standard manual box

They use the same box in the 6c gti.

So your Passat one would of needed the dsg service every 40k.

That's why the 6c gti dsg is 70nm down on the manual car
FAYBAE
Getting There!
Drives: 6C POLO GT DSG

Post by FAYBAE »

Dink wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am The 7 speed dq200 in the polo doesn't need any more servicing than a bog standard manual box

Yeah mate 🙌🏻
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Dink wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am The 7 speed dq200 in the polo doesn't need any more servicing than a bog standard manual box

Dink, I think that you are missing the point that the OP's car will have started life with a different type of oil in it as well as other changes that have taken place in time when compared with your car's DSG box, and I was suggested that maybe it is some of these earlier issues that should have been attended to to avoid this issue happening now.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

My car doesn't have a dsg box so don't know where you got that from.

Also I'm letting people know and not waste their time going to a dealer for a dsg service to be told there is no service regime for their dsg box.

As you said not all day boxes are the same, so Passat boxes are different to polo ones.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Fair enough my error, I can't think of why I assumed wrongly that your car had DSG, but, I'm not trying to say that all/any DSG boxes need regular fluid changes, what I am saying is certain earlier Polo, Fabia and Ibiza - and probably other smallish models as well, had started to have serious issues with their DSG boxes needing mechatronics assemblies replaced, and while in warranty most of them should have had the fluid replaced by another type if the owner was still using dealership workshops for servicing, if not maybe they have missed out - and that is what I've suggested the present owner of that Polo with DSG needs to find out, if only to attempt to limit the level of money he/she might need to fork out to attend to this problem. So, if any outstanding and relevant updates were not applied while it was still within the dealership service chain, why not, that is all.
marin6r
New
Drives: Polo 6R 2010

Post by marin6r »

Dan6r wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:36 am Hi all
Having issues with my car dsg not going through all the gears skipping to 2 to 4 to 6th and now the check engine light has come on anyone know why is it a possible tramission fluid low issue or something more major

My battery went flat on Monday so I had it jump started Tuesday car was fine Wednesday a weird clattering noise coming from the engine bay and then the gear display on the dash started flashing and skipping gears like a limp home mode, any suggestions will be great still waiting on VW to come back to me not willing to drive in case of causing damage

Many thanks
It sound that a slider inside a gearbox has fallen apart. That is most often case if gearbox itself goes bad.
It is not so hard to check if you have ever worked anything around the engine.
Gearbox oil should be drained ( cca. 2 liters), mechatronics should be taken off, and then you can see 4 slider, for selecting gears. Each should be able to be moved in 3 different positions (left, center, right), and one that cant be moved is the bad one.