Installing RNS 510 from another car

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Installing RNS 510 from another car

Post by RUM4MO »

cheba wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:59 pm In my VCDS autoscan there is no mention of a Bluetooth unit either - that's because Bluetooth is built into the RNS 315, and only the RNS 315 shows up in the autoscan. Maybe there's a similar thing with your Audi (the Bluetooth unit won't show up because it's built into the head unit?
Snip ---- Snip
Okay, my mistake, the Bluetooth in my S4 is within the Telephone module, so that is that cleared up!

Edit:- I'll stop intruding into this threads now.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

OK, so with the RNS 510 hooked up and Bluetooth module (7P6 035 730 P) + wiring harness acquired, what remains is to connect the Bluetooth module and do the coding with VCDS.

Since I don't have VCDS myself, I will have to go visit a guy with VCDS to do the coding. That's why I thought I'd ask for some tips regarding the coding beforehand, so I can hopefully get it working in one session.

According to this guide you only need to check "77 - Telephone" in the install list in the CAN Gateway module: http://www.mobridge.us/sites/default/fi ... 0Guide.pdf

However there are some other sources suggesting that there are different options that you have to set correctly in the long coding helper in order for it to work properly. So, is there anything particular I need to know about regarding these settings when doing the coding?
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

...easy, copy/paste my Bluetooth module coding, but in Byte0 select your language.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:04 pm ...easy, copy/paste my Bluetooth module coding, but in Byte0 select your language.
From the first post in your thread, I assume that would be:

Coding: 0501000000010110

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind so I know which values I can fall back on. I know some options can be different for my car (for example some settings depend on whether you have the phone cradle or not, and my car has it), but it's good to have some known values to fall back on for the bytes that are not so clear. For example the setting for "Audio Parameter Set"...
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I also don't know the difference between the audio parameters selection. In my case Set 1 works correctly.

Some time ago I took some screenshots of the Bytes (VCDS 11.11.3 - very old version), I hope they're useful for you:
:arrow: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:10 am I also don't know the difference between the audio parameters selection. In my case Set 1 works correctly.

Some time ago I took some screenshots of the Bytes (VCDS 11.11.3 - very old version), I hope they're useful for you:
:arrow: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Interesting, thanks a lot!

I noticed that in Byte1, you have "01 Voice Operation inactive". May I ask, why is this? Does voice operation not work, or do you just not want to use it and therefore have turned it off?

If I leave "01 Voice Operation inactive" unchecked, will I then be able to use voice control for dialing names in my phonebook over Bluetooth (I was able to do this with the RNS 315)?

Since I installed the RNS 510, when I press the voice button on the steering wheel I can use voice control for controlling the RNS 510. Would I lose this ability if I activate voice operation for Bluetooth?
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

cheba wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 amI noticed that in Byte1, you have "01 Voice Operation inactive". May I ask, why is this? Does voice operation not work, or do you just not want to use it and therefore have turned it off?
Yes, I just don't want to use it.
cheba wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 amIf I leave "01 Voice Operation inactive" unchecked, will I then be able to use voice control for dialing names in my phonebook over Bluetooth (I was able to do this with the RNS 315)?
Yes.
cheba wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 amSince I installed the RNS 510, when I press the voice button on the steering wheel I can use voice control for controlling the RNS 510. Would I lose this ability if I activate voice operation for Bluetooth?
Yes, it would be lost, ...you would have to use the star button to control the RNS510 by voice.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

ciclo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:53 pm Yes, it would be lost, ...you would have to use the star button to control the RNS510 by voice.
I see. Then I will probably leave it inactivated too. Even though they are nice to have, none of the two voice control features are very useful to me. However voice dial feature is the less useful of the two, since it rarely works (at least that was the case with the RNS 315 since the voice language was English and it didn't understand the non-English names that make up the majority of my phonebook.

Anyway, as I installed the wiring harness and the BT module in the car today I got a nice surprise. Since I bought a used BT module it was already coded, and it turned out that everything worked right out of the box. I was able to connect my phone, stream music over BT, see song/artist/album in the MFD, change song with the arrow buttons on the RNS and the steering wheel, I got the phone menu both in the RNS 510 and the MFD (and it is a more extensive phone menu than the one I had in the MFD when using the RNS 315) and I was able to make a phone call from the MFD and it worked perfectly.

I will still hook it up to VCDS when I get the opportunity, to have a look at the settings. But I'm not in a hurry since everything seems to be working so far.

As a bonus, when I bought the BT module I also received the foam holder even though it wasn't pictured in the seller's listing. The foam is for the Golf and it is too tall to let the Polo seat slide front to back freely when the seat is in the lowest position. So instead of just leaving the module unprotected on the floor, I cut off 1.5cm from the bottom of the foam, put the module in the remaining foam piece and secured it with velcro strips to the floor under the passenger seat. I'm about to go trough with the OEM Fabia fire extinguisher bracket as my next mod, let's hope it won't interfere with the foam piece...
rmfafonso
New
Drives: POLO 6R 2011 1.2 PETROL

Post by rmfafonso »

Hello everybody, so i have this rcd210 in my polo and i wanted to change it for a new one and i choose a rcd510. After doing some research i found that there's not much information about the process so i decided to share my experience here with you and maybe help someone. It was straight forward, in the rcd210 was connected the normal quadlock and a fm/am antenna cable. I installed on the quadlock a aux cable following the diagram and installed it on the car, after that e connected the quadlock and the antenna. The antenna connection on the rcd510 is a dual pin but again e checked wich one was fm/am and connected it. There's a cable adaptor called FAKRA but for me it is completly unnecessary your choice here. After that it was just four screws and one trim and it was done. I share with you some photos of the process hope you enjoy it. And also one photo of the adaptor.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Thank you very much for your report. Perhaps it would be good to have a look at the coding of the new RCD radio and see if it's configured for only front speakers. I suspect your car does not have speakers in the rear since the RCD210 can only support front speakers.
Otherwise, looks great!
rmfafonso
New
Drives: POLO 6R 2011 1.2 PETROL

Post by rmfafonso »

iichel wrote:Thank you very much for your report. Perhaps it would be good to have a look at the coding of the new RCD radio and see if it's configured for only front speakers. I suspect your car does not have speakers in the rear since the RCD210 can only support front speakers.
Otherwise, looks great!
I have 4 speakers but with the rcd210 only the front ones worked. But with the rcd510 now the 4 speakers are loud and clear

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Ah perfect, enjoy your new radio then!