Which Bluetooth module to get?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Which Bluetooth module to get?

Post by cheba »

So I'm wondering, if I were to get a Bluetooth module for my WRC (because of upgrading from RNS 315 with built-in Bluetooth to a RNS 510 which doesn't have built-in Bluetooth), which one is the module to get?

Apart from the 9w7 modules in different revisions (7p6035730J/K/L) there are also the 9wZ modules (3c8 035 730) which are newer (unless I'm mistaken). Will those work with the RNS 510, and do they give you any extra features that the 9w7 doesn't give you, like SMS messaging? And what is the difference between the J/K/L revisions of the 9w7 module?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Which Bluetooth module to get?

Post by iichel »

Yes, some of these 3C8 modules will support rSAP. That will work just fine with your RNS510.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

iichel wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am Yes, some of these 3C8 modules will support rSAP. That will work just fine with your RNS510.
OK, I was not sure whether it would work with with the RNS 510, but I see in your thread that you have a 3C8 module in your car :) Do you know what the difference between the 3C8 modules (A, B, C...) is?

I assume that installing an 3C8 module also requires installing a GSM antenna?

The 3C8 is a premium module, but the price on used 3C8 modules is also premium :lol: Anyone know the differences between the different versions of the 7P6 (9w7) modules?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I'm sorry but I don't know the differences between all the versions ABCD...
The 3C8 indeed requires a GSM antenna. Perhaps I still have one laying around somewhere...
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

3C8035730D and 3C8035730E have WLAN/WIFI.
https://youtu.be/swTqVpjmZvo

It works also in 6R:
https://a.d-cd.net/fcb2fees-960.jpg
https://a.d-cd.net/2b2fees-960.jpg
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

CNK wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:50 pm 3C8035730D and 3C8035730E have WLAN/WIFI.
OK, so does the A, B and C versions not have Wifi? From my understanding the Wifi is needed if you want to get internet access on you phone while in the car, since the rSAP will let the car "borrow" the sim card and the phone will not be able to use the sim card for it's data connection. Does this mean that with he A, B and C versions of the 3C8 modules you won't get internet access on you phone when connected to the car?

At this point I'm mostly asking out of interest. I don't really have the budget for one of those modules at this point.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

Speaking of GSM antennas, I just came to think of something. My car has "Mobile Phone Preparation Plus" (I think that's the official name) as factory equipment. So it has the dock on the dashboard to install a Bury cradle. I've read that the Bury system not only supports charging of the phone through the cradle, but also an external antenna connection to the phone. So does this mean that cars with "Mobile Phone Preparation Plus" factory fitted have some kind of GSM antenna already fitted?
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

iichel wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm The 3C8 indeed requires a GSM antenna. Perhaps I still have one laying around somewhere...
So I found out that the WRC has the 6R0 035 501C antenna which actually has GSM in addition to FM/AM and GPS. So it should be possible to install a 3C8 Bluetooth module in my car without installing a new antenna. The GSM antenna would have to be connected to the Bluetooth module instead of the Bury dock.

Anyway, I'm still planning on getting one of the 7P6 modules. Although even after searching many threads in different forums, I still haven't gotten an answer to the question of what the difference is between the J, K and L versions (which all have the same SW and HW number). I've also tried to find info on the newer M, N and P versions which have newer SW and HW but there is almost no info at all on these. I'd like to know if I miss out on any functionality if I go for one of the older modules instead of one of these.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

I'm also wondering what kind of harness is needed to connect a Bluetooth module to the RNS 510. I checked the carsystems harnesses, and there seem to be 3 versions: an A2DP version, an A2DP + SDS version, and an A2DP + SDS + MDI version. I have all of those features in my car (roof mic and MDI in the glovebox from factory) and after installing the RNS 510, they already work (I can play music via MDI and I can use voice control on the RNS 510 with the roof mic).

Am I correct in thinking that the A2DP + SDS and A2DP + SDS + MDI versions of the harness are only needed if you are retrofitting those features, and that in my car the mic and the MDI are already hooked up to the factory harness, so for me the A2DP harness is enough?
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

OK, so I did some more detective work. According to ETKA the different versions correspond to different PR codes.

7P6035730J: PR-9ZB
7P6035730K: PR-9W7
7P6035730L: PR-9ZA

7P6035730M: PR-9ZB
7P6035730N: PR-9W7
7P6035730P: PR-9ZA

(In some cars, the modules are also listed as PR-UF0, often in combination with the PR codes above)

According to this source: http://www.tak.de/download/multimedia76.pdf, the PR codes mean:

PR-9ZB: "Mobile Phone Preparation"
PR-9ZA: "Mobile Phone Preparation Plus"
PR-9W7: ??? (according to another source http://vag-codes.info/files/options/vag ... -codes.pdf, this code means "Mobile Phone Interface (NAR)" which I don't know what it means)

So, knowing which PR codes the different versions correspond to, can anyone tell me what the functional difference is between a J and an L module, or an M and a P module?

My car has a special variant of "Mobile Phone Preparation Plus" from the factory, namely the one with the control integrated into the RNS 315 (I think it should be 9WM since it has a cradle, but there is no PR code for this listed on the sticker in the car). So does that mean I would need an L or P module to retain the same level of functionality ("Plus") as I have today?

Edit: so perhaps it boils down to the question: what is the functional difference between Mobile Phone Preparation Standard, High and Plus?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

cheba, maybe you need to ask your local VW dealer's parts department to provide you with a print out of "CAR DATA" from their car/parts database system.
Maybe, if that does not work, and they look confused, say that it is a copy of all the PR - Codes of all the options fitted into your car at initial factory build - I managed to get that a few weeks ago from a local VW dealer for my wife's 2015 Polo, when I tried to get it just after my wife got her new Polo back in August 2015, at that branch of the same dealership, the parts department people looked confused and did not know what I was asking for!
Generally what I have found is, while there is a "Build Data" sheet stuck to the car in the wheel well, it does not list all the PR-Codes, CAR DATA will list them all along with a brief description.
cheba
Silver Member

Post by cheba »

Actually the sentence about the PR code of my car was just a side note, or "(un)interesting facts". It does not matter what PR code my factory fitted equipment has, since it's being uninstalled. What matters is the fact that the Bluetooth functionality I have enjoyed until now has been the "Plus" level.

My entire problem can now be condensed to 2 questions:

1. What functional difference is there between the standard, High and Plus levels of "Mobile Phone Preparation"?
2. What functional difference (if any) is there between a BT module of the last revision (SW 4217) and one of the previous revision (SW 3200)?