GTI 6c Diamond Cutting

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hutch
New
Drives: GTI 2017

GTI 6c Diamond Cutting

Post by hutch »

Has anyone had there wheels re cut? Mine are in awful condition and badly in need of a repair. I stay in the NE corner of Scotland but do a lot of time down in stirling including back and fourth to Manchester quite often too. Where in any of these areas or in between do the best job? On a budget too had some crazy quotes of up to £160 a wheel which it would be cheaper to just get a new set!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI 6c Diamond Cutting

Post by SRGTD »

I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion and I wish that manufacturers would stop fitting them! I swapped mine over to a set of powder coated alloys soon after I got my GTI, as they’re much more durable and better suited to the UK’s winter weather, and not prone to white worm corrosion like diamond cut alloys are. In fact many of the after market alloy wheel retailers state on their websites that diamond cut alloys aren’t suitable for winter use.

A good quality diamond cut refurbishment on a 17” wheel usually costs in the region of £90 plus VAT - some places charge extra to remove and refit the tyre and rebalance the wheel. However, because the shiny diamond cut surface isn’t a good surface for protective lacquer to adhere to, there’s a high risk that refurbished wheels may suffer from white worm 2-3 years after they’ve been refurbished. Might be worth considering getting them refurbished with a powder coated finish, which will probably be around £20 + VAT a wheel cheaper to refurbish.

Not in your desired location, but Lepsons (www.lepsons.com) and Pristine Wheels (www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk) get some of the best reviews on many of the forums. They also do offers on courier prices so you can send them your wheels for refurbishment and they’ll return them to you, so no need to make the lengthy journey.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Yes, not cheap to refurb as SRGT says. Had one done on my Golf VI 3 years ago and still looking pristine. The company was in the midlands - Northampton - but does a courier service and cost was £85.00 including courier but expect more now. Because I only needed one doing courier was an easy way to go while keeping the car on the road using the spare.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Just had a set of 17" Merc Alloys done ( full face is diamond cut like the mk5 golf monza's ) for £380 but that's due to the amount I use them try £475 for a set of 4.

My chosen Wheel refurb place in England is Pristine Alloys, at the end of the day it's all about quality. Do it once, do it right.

As SRGTD says diamond cut can't with stand much damage due to the fact it's a thin layer of lacquer over the bare metal so it's not orange peely. Being in Scotland I'd side with SRGTD and recommend you just go powder coated, unless you have a set of winter alloys, because the salt will destroy them up that way.