Multi function display what is your preference?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Deadeye
New
Drives: Beats 1.2TSI

Multi function display what is your preference?

Post by Deadeye »

I mostly set it to Engine Oil Temperature (6C)

Partly habit from another car, where it is important, and partly the information isn’t changing so rapidly, so less distracting. I hardly touch anything else. I disabled some things that are replicated on the “infotainment” system.

What display takes centre stage, the majority of the time, in your Polo?
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Multi function display what is your preference?

Post by iichel »

Speeeeeed
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

Oil temperature more than 95% of the time. I like monitoring how the engine is doing. I'd love to have gauges for other stuff like oil pressure, and I hate that the coolant temperature gauge isn't accurate in modern cars.

With the RNS 315 I often listened to Spotify over Bluetooth but I always run the head unit in Nav mode, so often I briefly switched to the right in the MFD in order to see the name and artist of a song. Also when using navigation I often keep the navigation screen in the MFD, since I like the "countdown" it does to the next turn, which makes it easier to take the correct turn/exit.

I also hate that when having the MFD in oil temperature mode, it will reset to "trip duration" every time you restart the car.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I always have mine set to oil temperature.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Engine oil until it's up to temperature. Then live fuel economy. Sometimes the goal is to get the mpg as low as possible...
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Oil temperature.

Just so I know the second I can give the beans.
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

I put mine on fuel economy (since start). That way I make sure I don't drive uneconomically and get better mpg
MPG.jpg
Deadeye
New
Drives: Beats 1.2TSI

Post by Deadeye »

Dink wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:25 am Oil temperature.

Just so I know the second I can give the beans.
Essentially, the same thinking. The only thing on the 6C, for me, I don't need it to be MS font size 64+ LOL
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

Mines 60% speed & 40% of the time MPG.
Just wondering why so many have their oil temps there?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

PlymouthArgyle wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:35 pm Mines 60% speed & 40% of the time MPG.
So I know when the engine oil is up to normal operating temperature before driving it enthusiastically.

I personally don’t use the MFD for speed or MPG. The speedo shows me the speed I’m travelling at and the MPG is what it is; my Polo’s a GTI so I’m not too bothered about fuel economy. If I do want to know what the MPG is, I display the car data on the infotainment screen.

But we’re all different, and so we’ll have different preferences over what we want to see on the MFD - which is good that we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would be boring 😉
PlymouthArgyle
New
Drives: 1.8 GTI

Post by PlymouthArgyle »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:30 pm
PlymouthArgyle wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:35 pm Mines 60% speed & 40% of the time MPG.
So I know when the engine oil is up to normal operating temperature before driving it enthusiastically.

I personally don’t use the MFD for speed or MPG. The speedo shows me the speed I’m travelling at and the MPG is what it is; my Polo’s a GTI so I’m not too bothered about fuel economy. If I do want to know what the MPG is, I display the car data on the infotainment screen.

But we’re all different, and so we’ll have different preferences over what we want to see on the MFD - which is good that we don’t all like the same things, otherwise life would be boring 😉
I also own a GTI. Although this is the first time i’ve owned a car like it. I personally use the speed/mpg as just a filler & I wasn’t aware the temperature would make such a difference so that’s something i’ll keep in mind now, thanks. I’ll probably switch it over now as like you said the others are on display as well.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Range.

I like to have an idea how far I can go without refilling although it is generally further than I can go without peeing.

Being mechanically sympathetic, years of ancient or temperamental vehicles encourages that, I tend not to thrash my cars until they reach operating temperature so I watch the water temp, when the water temperature is okay it is reasonable to assume that the oil temperature is too.

I also find the compass very useful if I’m in unfamiliar territory.

I would really like an app that could mark up all the public toilets on my route, not available for VW but a natural for SEAT perhaps, they could call it Toilet Seat.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

Ricmondo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 am Being mechanically sympathetic, years of ancient or temperamental vehicles encourages that, I tend not to thrash my cars until they reach operating temperature so I watch the water temp, when the water temperature is okay it is reasonable to assume that the oil temperature is too.
Actually on my Polo, when the coolant temperature gauge first reaches operating temperature (90°C) the oil temperature is usually still so low that it's not even shown in the MFD. It starts showing up as 50°C soon after.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

cheba wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:44 am Actually on my Polo, when the coolant temperature gauge first reaches operating temperature (90°C) the oil temperature is usually still so low that it's not even shown in the MFD. It starts showing up as 50°C soon after.
Mine is exactly the same. It's probably due to the "water cooled" exhaust manifold bringing the water temperature up quick.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Yes, the operative word is soon after which is why I’m happy with a broad indication especially given the way in which modern oils vary viscosity to give a linear performance across a broad thermal spectrum.