sump plug
Pollen filter
Air filter
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Anything else worth servicing?

Post by RUM4MO »

What is the engine code of your car, and mileage?
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 pm What is the engine code of your car, and mileage?
Will need to check the engine code, but it's the 2007-2014 1.4 FSI 85bhp, with 42k on it.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Okay, so probably engine code BXW, I think that the "FSI" got dropped years before that engine was built by the way.

Nothing else gets changed normally at year 4 major service.

The cambelt kit on these engines normally gets changed at 5 years, not at 4 years as it was with much earlier versions like BBY etc.

Edit:- I think that VW Group are being greedy saying that the plugs need replaced at 4 years, I' think that at 6 years is still okay, may daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 85PS got all that replaced at its year 4 service, so I changed all that at its year 8 service - except the fuel filter, normally VW Group ignore the petrol filter in most of their cars, my wife's 2002 Polo with the earlier BBY version of that engine was traded in at 106K and 13 years old with its original fuel filter fitted, I did buy a new one but never quite got round to fitting it.

So, I'd say that the more usual 6 years or 60K miles which ever appears first is the usual time to replace plugs and air filter - unless the car was used in extremely nasty conditions - I think that VW UK's plan here was to generate more cash from owners.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I completely agree with RUM4MO besides the FSI bading. These engines still have multi point indirect injection into the inlet manifold. So I guess they should be MPI engines.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 am Okay, so probably engine code BXW, I think that the "FSI" got dropped years before that engine was built by the way.

Nothing else gets changed normally at year 4 major service.

The cambelt kit on these engines normally gets changed at 5 years, not at 4 years as it was with much earlier versions like BBY etc.

Edit:- I think that VW Group are being greedy saying that the plugs need replaced at 4 years, I' think that at 6 years is still okay, may daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 85PS got all that replaced at its year 4 service, so I changed all that at its year 8 service - except the fuel filter, normally VW Group ignore the petrol filter in most of their cars, my wife's 2002 Polo with the earlier BBY version of that engine was traded in at 106K and 13 years old with its original fuel filter fitted, I did buy a new one but never quite got round to fitting it.

So, I'd say that the more usual 6 years or 60K miles which ever appears first is the usual time to replace plugs and air filter - unless the car was used in extremely nasty conditions - I think that VW UK's plan here was to generate more cash from owners.
Lol you'd hate to see my service for my golf it gets more :lol: I'm sure you're the same with your S4 though.

I change all of that except the cam belt and water pump every year, and brake fluid every 2 years, gearbox oil every 3 years, but I do it myself dealerships stamps tend to be worse in my opinion. Fuel filter is a definitely must they cost nothing really and they get a lot of crap through them, even though all mine are run solely on BP ( no Shell over here ).

Also pretty sure there were still FSI engines floating about until 2009ish