VW extended warranty

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
maccap
New
Drives: Polo Blue GT

VW extended warranty

Post by maccap »

Sorry couldnt find where else to post this. Has anybody taken one out on a used car. The cost seems pretty reasonable especially if you select named component cover. I just got a quote of £240 for 1yr or just over £23 a month.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: VW extended warranty

Post by RUM4MO »

Hi, this is probably a good enough place to create this thread, I suppose a used car warranty does hopefully allow you to contain/limit spend in repairs over a year, personally I've never bought one as I tend to carry out my own servicing repair.

Hopefully someone else will post with better advice based on experience.
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

i think the best thing to do is read the terms and conditions closely ... it will tell you what is and isnt covered and you can make your decision based on that
john__m
New
Drives: polo gti 6c

Post by john__m »

I have the vw extended warranty named component cover. It only covers faults which are manufacturing defects, not wear and tear. And if you modify your car it voids it all. Most of the stuff ive done on mine is pretty easily changeable should something go wrong
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

These extended warranties are effectively electrical and mechanical breakdown insurance policies and I’d be surprised if any such insurance-backed warranties would cover wear and tear.

VW’s new car factory warranty also excludes wear and tear after the first 6,500 miles / 6 months (whichever happens soonest) on component parts that are influenced by driving style or external factors. New car factory warranty terms and conditions at the link below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/war ... conditions

VW used to offer an extended factory warranty as an option on new cars, so you could have the benefit of the full factory warranty for a further one or two years. They no longer offer this option.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

I took out the VW manufacturer extended warranty from new on the Polo for about £450 - for the extra 2 years as it seemed worthwhile at the time as even if I don't keep it for the full 5 years it will enhance the attractiveness when for sale. Got caught out with the Golf GTI but managed the repairs myself - cruise control switch, intake manifold failure and ignition switch but rankled having to fork out for parts on a 3 year old car. No goodwill forthcoming!

If buying secondhand and not knowing how the car has been treated a one year warranty is probably worth taking out.
maccap
New
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by maccap »

Thanks guys