Changing Air filter on Polo BlueGT

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
TheGingerKid
New
Drives: 2015 Blue GT

Changing Air filter on Polo BlueGT

Post by TheGingerKid »

Hi all,

I recently brought a new K&N Panel filter for my 2015 Polo BlueGT, i tried to change it myself this is the process i went through:

removed the intake air tube that connects into the air box via the clamp
removed the air pipe from the air box that leads into the engine via the clamp
took out the little rubber tube thingy from the air box(you can probably tell by now im not the best with cars haha)
tried to remove air box

i thought this would remove the box i did give it a little tug to see if it was like set in place but the air box wouldnt move. am i missing a step? Or is there some hidden screws that im missing or am i just not being confident enough and tugging hard enough!

any help would be greatly appreciated
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Re: Changing Air filter on Polo BlueGT

Post by peter_dk25 »

After the tubes has been removed you simply has to lift the housing off the ball studs.
Can be a little hard - but that´s the right way - according to Elsawin
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

On these and similar models of Polo, you have to remove the entire air filter box/assembly from the engine's top in order to change the filter element. If my memory serves me correctly, the final fastening of the box/assembly to the engine top is a trio of snap-fit ball studs which are hidden from view. These are situated underneath the filter box. Normally, there are two studs at the front underside of the box, and one at the rear underside of the box, all three being quite near the box's outer edges. You therefore need to give a strong upward pull of the box, to finally pop the box/assembly off the studs. Do be careful when doing it, though, as the box/assembly is likely to come away suddenly and you could injure your hands or arms. Might be better to do that part of it by using a wooden lever of some sort, placed in turn near to each stud position. Once the whole assembly's off it's a matter of undoing two heads, on the box's underside, that are of a couple of through-bolts that hold the box's top and bottom halves together and which also keep the filter element, inside the box, in place. It all seems complicated but I think once you've done this job, it'll seem that much more straighforward the next time.

Have you tried the removal with the engine still hot? This might give you the ball studs with slightly more compliance in the movement between them and their mating dimples in the box. You'd need to be quite careful not to burn any parts of your hands on the engine top or on other nearby metal parts, though.
CamtheBlueGT
New
Drives: Blue GT

Post by CamtheBlueGT »

Hi Mate,

I’m just wondering if you still have the Blue GT and if you have done any more mods / got the air filter to fit? im looking at doing stuff to mine and am wondering what fits