Window steaming up?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Window steaming up?

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

I've had my polo gti 6c for a couple of month's now and I've noticed the the front and side windows steam up all the time over nothing and the only way too stop this is turn on the vents but then am too hot or cold. Partner's dad has a 6r tdi polo and his car had th3 same issue is this a s**t design fault or just the way these cars work. Anyone know a decent fix other then the heating.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Window steaming up?

Post by RUM4MO »

In my mind, you have got it right first time!

My daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza and same problem, I seem to be reading that the equivalent Skoda Fabia is exactly the same, so yes no manner how you look/think about this, someone in VW Group that handles heating cooling and ventilation has messed up big time, but I’d think that VW UK will disagree with that mainly because they are clowns too!

Edit:- now it could just be that this design mess up is only showing up in wetter areas of the UK, ie places up North where you and I reside!
LawrenceDGraham
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2016

Post by LawrenceDGraham »

Yeah I've noticed this alot with the polos and other little vw cars as I'm a mechanic by trade so drive different cars all the time and they all seem too have the same issue with the windows it's a right pain in the arse
fleagal
New
Drives: Polo GTi 2015 6C

Post by fleagal »

I've just joined the GTi club with my 6C and noticed the steaming up problem.

I assumed it was due to sitting on a forecourt for a few weeks and needed to be dried out. Anyhow, my solution is to try some bags that absorb moisture so I got a couple of these www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C0W3CG0
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Not had this problem in 2 years of ownership. Always have the fan on low, do not normally use the recirculating option and rarely us the aircon. My thinking is that moisture will build up just through breathing so a throughput of air is necessary to remove this. Could always try giving up breathing I suppose. :lol:
Black6c
Getting There!
Drives: 6c 1.2 (110) TSI DSG

Post by Black6c »

I also just noticed that. Mainly when temperatures drop and it's rainy (like today) I had to turn on the ac to prevent the windscreen from fogging up completely, shutting off stop start and killing my fuel economy :(
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

joe6 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 pm Not had this problem in 2 years of ownership. Always have the fan on low, do not normally use the recirculating option and rarely us the aircon. My thinking is that moisture will build up just through breathing so a throughput of air is necessary to remove this. Could always try giving up breathing I suppose. :lol:
That is basically how we use the HVAC in our Polo, even leaving it on Auto - for us, always garaging the car at night and never getting into the car with wet hair, minimises this nasty trait, it from experience of much early 9N Polo, that was never an issue with it or its 6L Ibiza and Fabia MK1 equivalents, this is a new trait and it started when the Polo/Ibiza and Fabia were updated onto the 6R/6C 6J and MK2 versions.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Steamy windows at this time of year isn’t specific to the Polo/Ibiza/Fabia. If you do a quick internet search you’ll see a number of owners of non-VAG cars on various forums have raised this in the past.

I always run my air con 24/7 and don’t have an issue with steamy windows.

A blocked pollen filter, wet clothes / wet umbrella in the cabin, blocked sunroof drain pipes, wet floor mats from getting in the car with wet feet, damp seats from getting in the car with wet clothes on and leaking door/widow seals are all possible causes.

I had a blocked pollen filter in a car I owned in the 1990’s and the condensation on the inside of the windows was horrendous. Fitting a new pollen filter cured it.
Dave_C
New
Drives: 1.2TSi Match

Post by Dave_C »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pmEdit:- now it could just be that this design mess up is only showing up in wetter areas of the UK, ie places up North where you and I reside!
Not true - I'm in one of the driest spots in Cambridgeshire.