Adding an intercooler on the newer vw TSI engines?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Nirline6R
New
Drives: 6R R LINE

Adding an intercooler on the newer vw TSI engines?

Post by Nirline6R »

You know how the newer TSI engines use a water to aii intercooler integrated in the manifold. The 1.4 tsi act has it, the 1.0 tsi too.

I'm thinking about a front mount air/air intercooler (Got a good deal).
What's your opinion about adding a front mount to work together with the stock water/air intercooler?
I mainly want to do this because i've noticed that in the stock cooler does really good in the winter but lacks in performance when the ambient temps rise.

I am aware that by doing this the boost pressure will drop a bit due to the longer boost hoses. Is that an issue? Some say that by adding an intercooler the engine will get a colder charge and that compensates for the loss of boost pressure. Also some others say that it will get massivelly laggy. (Don't think that will be an issue.) I do want to get a remap after this mod too. Will there be any hp gains whith the remap?
ORiOn
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo BlueGT / Audi S5

Re: Adding an intercooler on the newer vw TSI engines?

Post by ORiOn »

Stock or on a stage 1+, the original cooling system works perfectly fine, even on hot days... The thing that makes it work less fine is the intake. It's on top of the motor, where ALL the heat is... Imagine on hot days...
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Adding an intercooler on the newer vw TSI engines?

Post by joe6 »

Reducing the intake temp by a couple of degrees will sometimes give you an extra few horses by, for example, moving the air intake but remember as you point out a longer intake pipe run will reduce the airflow and boost pressure and so negate the temperature drop. An increase in the pipe size may help to compensate. Probably not notice the difference.