Mud flaps

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Smokegetsinyoureyes
New
Drives: 2015 1.4 SEL TDI 90 Bluemotion

Mud flaps

Post by Smokegetsinyoureyes »

Hi, first post to the fourm, I have a 2015 1.4 TDI bluemotion model, and I'm looking to fit a set of front and rear mud flaps, the short ones, can anyone tell me why it lists for the rear 6R0075106 and front 6R0075116 that they don't fit the bluemotion models? Are the rear bumpers and wings/sills a different shape or am I missing something???
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Mud flaps

Post by SRGTD »

Welcome to the forum Smokegetsinyoureyes.

You’ve shown the details of the car you drive as a 2015 Polo 1.4 SEL TDI 90. If your car’s an SEL model, then VW’s mud flaps should fit.

VW use the term Bluemotion to the energy saving technology used in their cars, such as stop/start and brake energy recuperation systems. So, there are many Polo models that incorporate Bluemotion technology and your SEL model will have this technology. To confuse matters, there is also a separate specific Polo Bluemotion model. The Polo Bluemotion does have various aerodynamic aids fitted, such as sill covers which mean genuine VW front mud flaps can’t be fitted. I wasn’t aware that VW rear mud flaps wouldn’t fit this model, but the mud flap fitting area on the rear bumper must be a different profile to the Polo’s rear mud flaps. Details of VW’s specific Polo Bluemotion model are on pages 26/27 in the brochure at the link below and information on the Bluemotion technology used in many models are on pages 38/39.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... 202015.pdf

On the subject of mud flaps in general. Before I owned my 6c Polo GTI, I’d had mud flaps fitted to most of my previous cars. VW mud flaps don’t fit the 6c Polo GTI because of the GTI-specific sill extensions and bumpers. I’ve found that compared to my previous cars with mud flaps,
  • My current car doesn’t get any dirtier as a result of not having mud flaps.
  • The rear window of a modern ‘two box’ hatchback car will get dirty whether mud flaps are fitted or not, as forward movement creates a vacuum area behind the car, so dirt gets sucked onto the rear window.
  • I’ve not picked up any stone chips along the sides of the car by not having mud flaps, and no more tar spots than on cars that had them fitted.
  • Short mud flaps will do little to reduce road spray that might affect vehicles following you.
So from personal experience, in my opinion I wouldn’t bother fitting them, unless you live in a very rural area and frequently drive on roads that are regularly covered in mud/dirt, when having them fitted might help to reduce the accumulation of caked-on mud.
Smokegetsinyoureyes
New

SRGTD, thanks very much for the info, I think it's just the profile of the underside of the rear bumper that is slightly different, probably as you say to cause less drag, being a bluemotion model, it was just a thought as my previous n9 model had them, the pepper grey probably wouldn't suit the black mudflaps anyway. I came across a set off a 2011 1.2tdi for a tenner, the fronts look like they will fit ok, the rears I'll get a better look when the hailstones stop lol! Or I may decide as you suggest not to fit any!My car doesn't have any side skirts mentioned for the bluemotion model in the brochure.ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't really want to burden you, but, you do know about the 1.4TDI engines and how they cost a bit after being modified by VW for the emissions fix and the "good will" period has run out?

Hopefully you have taken out a 2 year warranty that includes covering the engine and gearbox.

Maybe enlighten yourself on what could/will happen with time by reading the thread on this section of this forum about engine overheating problems.

Now, I would have thought that VW Group would have rolled out a proper fix for these issues by now, but I'm not sure if they bothered.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

Smokegetsinyoureyes wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:35 pm SRGTD, thanks very much for the info, I think it's just the profile of the underside of the rear bumper that is slightly different, probably as you say to cause less drag, being a bluemotion model, it was just a thought as my previous n9 model had them, the pepper grey probably wouldn't suit the black mudflaps anyway. I came across a set off a 2011 1.2tdi for a tenner, the fronts look like they will fit ok, the rears I'll get a better look when the hailstones stop lol! Or I may decide as you suggest not to fit any!My car doesn't have any side skirts mentioned for the bluemotion model in the brochure.
If that is your Polo in the photos, it's a "Bluemotion Technology". I think it is only a branding VW uses for the engine/powertrain in these cars. There is no aerodynamic parts that differ between a "Bluemotion Technology" and other base model Polo 6C.

For reference, this is what a Polo 6C Bluemotion (not just "Bluemotion Technology") looks like:
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images ... gine_2.jpg
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images ... gine_1.jpg

Note the aerodynamic parts: wheels, covered front grill, 6R-style front bumper with lower spoiler lip, black strips along the windscreen edges, side skirts, rear bumper with lower spoiler, rear wing with black "fins" along the rear window edges. Because of the side skirts and rear lower spoiler, it is obvious that mudflaps won't fit there cars.

Since your car doesn't have side skirts, front mudflaps will fit, even if they are from a 6R (same part for 6R and 6C). However the 6C rear bumper has a slighly different shape than the 6R bumper. This means that 6R rear mudflaps (which you have since they come of a 2011) will not fit. It may be possible to get them on a 6C, but the fit won't be perfect.

The part number for rear mudflaps from 2014 onwards is 6R0075101B (I assume this is 6C flaps). 6R rear flaps have part number 6R0075101.

The long version of the front flaps is indeed very long. They were fitted to my car prior to it's delivery (mudflaps is standard equipment in Sweden and they are fitted by the dealer prior to final delivery) and even without lowering the car, they tended to scrape when driving over even a small edge. I changed them for the short ones since I was lowering the car. When I went to buy them and said I wanted the shorter version, the dealer told me that nowadays they never fit anything other than the short version to any Polo, since they've realized that the long ones are too long even for a standard Polo without lowering.

The difference in length is 50mm which is quite a lot.
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

I did think very briefly about mud flaps when I first purchased my polo, but having fitted r line side skirts these at the least the front won't fit anymore. I've also seen polos with them fitted and they just look so out of place and for very little benefit apart from cosmetic look?
Smokegetsinyoureyes
New

RUM4MO wrote:I don't really want to burden you, but, you do know about the 1.4TDI engines and how they cost a bit after being modified by VW for the emissions fix and the "good will" period has run out?

Hopefully you have taken out a 2 year warranty that includes covering the engine and gearbox.

Maybe enlighten yourself on what could/will happen with time by reading the thread on this section of this forum about engine overheating problems.

Now, I would have thought that VW Group would have rolled out a proper fix for these issues by now, but I'm not sure if they bothered.
Hi, just to get back to you RUM4MO, from what I have read, I thought that the 1.4 tdi engine in my model being the euro6 engine that there is no 'Fix' for emissions, surely the engines that it involved was the earlier 1.2 and 1.6???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk