Which one is mine?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
pologt98
New
Drives: 2016 GT

Which one is mine?

Post by pologt98 »

I recently bought a 2016 bluegt, been having a look on a lot of forums and been trying to do homework on parts for it, but I can’t figure out which one mine is, from what I know the 6r is the pre-facelift although pictures that I have seen it looks the same as mine. Mines is a 1.4tsi and registered 2016, apologies for the repetitive topic...
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Which one is mine?

Post by SRGTD »

Externally, there are very few differences between the 6r and 6c BlueGT (different design to the internal components of the rear light clusters, if optional xenon headlamps were specified by the first owner, a 6r didn’t have front fog lights, whereas the a xenon equipped 6c did). As yours was registered in 2016, it’ll be a 6c facelift model.

The more obvious visual differences between the two are the infotainment units and the number of buttons/blanks for functions such as rear window demister, hazard warning lights (6r has 7 and the 6c either has 9 or 6 plus card holder slots). You can see the differences between the 6r and 6c BlueGT in the pictures in the thread at the link below;

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=71633&p
pologt98
New
Drives: 2016 GT

Post by pologt98 »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 pm Externally, there are very few differences between the 6r and 6c BlueGT (different design to the internal components of the rear light clusters, if optional xenon headlamps were specified by the first owner, a 6r didn’t have front fog lights, whereas the a xenon equipped 6c did). As yours was registered in 2016, it’ll be a 6c facelift model.

The more obvious visual differences between the two are the infotainment units and the number of buttons/blanks for functions such as rear window demister, hazard warning lights (6r has 7 and the 6c either has 9 or 6 plus card holder slots). You can see the differences between the 6r and 6c BlueGT in the pictures in the thread at the link below;

Brilliant thanks mate!
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:29 pm
good one...
MarkTS74
New
Drives: BlueGT (6c October 2014 build) 150ps

Post by MarkTS74 »

To add to what's been said - externally the outside of 6r (140ps) & 6c (150ps) BlueGT very small difference.
It's the interior that's the big difference, the 6r BlueGT has the much older interior (small stereo non touchscreen headunit's unless been ticked as upgrade option) different steering wheel.
The 6c interior much plusher pretty much looking like a mini Golf GT MK7 inside with touchscreen headunit's as standard/etc + Golf/Polo GTI steering wheel, the 6c update was more about VW updating tech & interior to run alongside & be similar to the then current generation Golf (probably saving a fortune in build costs/parts as could intershare a lot of MK7 Golf interior bits).
Also the engines two big difference -
* 6r BlueGT is the 140ps unit & unfornatly the timing chain driven probmatic 1.4TSI (but not like very very problematic 1.4TSI 180ps GTI unit - well very sensitive to anything but squeaky clean servicing/maintenance).
* 6c BlueGT reverted back to timing belts (VW pretty much gave up & admitted the timing chains bad idea on 1.4TSI's at this point - but keep them in 1.2TSI's & the GTI TSI's apprantly??) also had a slight engine ECU tweak by VW to bring it up to 150ps.

Hope this all helps - apologies if just repeating a little on rest of thread, think some confusion over time that the 140ps/150ps BlueGT units were just ECU tweaks....it's was reverting back to normal timing belts that if any reads the thread - if at all can get a Post October 2014 BlueGT 6c (2015 year model) over a 6r pre October 2014 facelift.
Last edited by MarkTS74 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

Wrong - both engines are the same - only the ECU are different.
It was only the 6R GTI engine having the chain - not the Blue GT which has this belt: 04E109119F
MarkTS74
New

Post by MarkTS74 »

Dealers are telling incorrect information then.
I double checked they said the 140ps BlueGT is timing chain & the 150ps BlueGT 6c was timing belt..!!?

How the hell are people meant to know if main dealers can't tell correct information!
Happy to accept if stated incorrect information & misled people!

You would be surprised how many independent garages think our BlueGT's timing chains regardless of if 140ps or 150ps version.......the independent who normally looks after my wife's 2010 Seat Leon 1.4TSI (125ps) totally convinced my BlueGT was, even though I told him it was not. He had to eat very humble pie when I asked for timing belt qoute looked up my cars information then saw plain as day is a belt - not chain.
cheba
Silver Member
Drives: Polo R WRC 2014

Post by cheba »

MarkTS74 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:05 pm reverted back to timing belts (VW pretty much gave up & admitted the timing chains bad idea on 1.4TSI's at this point - but keep them in 1.2TSI's & the GTI TSI's apprantly??)
The "reverting to timing belt" was actually them replacing the old 1.4 engine (EA111 engine family with timing chain) with a completely different engine from a new engine family (EA211 engine family with timing belt) which also happen to be 1.4 (it is also made in 1.2 and 1.5 versions). This means that newer 1.2 TSI also have timing belt, but they are a completely different engine than the old one (note that not there may still be models running the older engine, since a new engine is not rolled out to all models at the same time).

Polo and Golf GTI still have timing chains because they use engines from the EA888 engine family (1.8 in Polo 6C and 2.0 in Polo AW GTI and Golf mk7 GTI).

They are not likely to switch from timing chain to timing belt on an existing engine, since the effort to redesign it would be enormous.
MarkTS74
New

Post by MarkTS74 »

Thank you CHEBA for explaining that far better than I did!
Indeed re-designing engine halfway through it generation life would be far too expensive.